News   Mar 28, 2024
 980     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 549     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 843     0 

Distillery District

Mixed housing makes for less criminals in Public Housing, but it also creates an environment complacency. Why would I want to move out of my fancy 60 richmond condo?

There needs to be some sort of sunset clause for able bodied.

p.s. Gansevoort hotel is moving into the disillery district.

Why? Certain types of workers are never going to be able to afford spaces in certain neighbourhoods. (A huge percentage of TCHC is seniors, who are never going to be able to rejoin the workforce.)

By providing some RGI spaces we can keep our neighbourhoods mixed which is hugely desirable outcome, not just socially but economically as well.

To be clear, the opinion that you are free-exchanging is that most low-income people are drunks that smell bad and you hope to avoid living in areas that might attempt to provide housing to said low-income people, right?

Also -- and stop me if I'm getting this wrong -- you are concerned that residents of future TCHC homes adjacent to the Distillery District might, under the cover of darkness, break into the old Tankhouses and begin distilling their own alcohol using the heritage machinery, and that this might negatively impact their ability to find work.

Well you do have a wild imagination. Have you taken the time to read the study in my post?

I am all for the creation of a mix-income neighborhood, and the revitalization of Regent Park, so much so I have personally invested in a number of properties in the downtown eastside. It is only upon hearing from a broker friend of mine that plans are in place to relocate all displaced residents from Regent park & other TCHC housings across GTA to the new west Don Lands development that I begin to cast doubts over the implication of this move, ghettoizing low income population into a single area have proven to be disastrous especially when it is located next to district by name alone is known for its booze & spirits among other things of course...

As indicated by the aforementioned study, statistically there do exist a definite link bewteen poverty and alcohol use, propensity for achololism amongst the economically disadvanaged is much higher, these comments seemed to have opened up a can of worms which I find regrettable.

However it is my hope that one would no longer be ridiculed here for holding an opposing argument as long as it is backed up by facts. Enough with this juvenile bickering I say, let's all hope the city would deliver on its promises of a better future for the urban poor.

Last edited:
It is only upon hearing from a broker friend of mine that plans are in place to relocate all displaced residents from Regent park & other TCHC housings across GTA to the new west Don Lands development that I begin to cast doubts over the implication of this move, ghettoizing low income population into a single area have proven to be disastrous especially when it is located next to district by name alone is known for its booze & spirits among other things of course...

However it is my hope that one would no longer be ridiculed here for holding an opposing argument as long as it is backed up by facts.

You have been misinformed by your broker friend. Households displaced by the Regent Park revitalization project are returning in phases to Regent Park. They have signed agreements to this effect. Phase two alone demolished 444 TCHC units. The West Don Lands will include 243 affordable rental units in three buildings. This is information is widely available and, frankly, you should have already known this if you've been investing in the developments there.

You are being ridiculed because you've presented some bogus statements that appear to be based on prejudicial/anecdotal information and not facts.

Last edited:
You are being ridiculed because you've presented some bogus statements that appear to be based on prejudicial/anecdotal information and not facts.

Let's back track a bit, yes perhaps I was misinformed by my broker time would tell... however, I never presented this info as a fact, my original statement began with the line " my broker buddy tells me..." , while the only fact I do try to repeatedly stress here is the link bewteen poverty and alcoholism which some here adamantly denies even after presented with the statistical study as per request.

Prejudicial against whom? Oh yes maybe the eternally stubborn. Well... to those I can only let out a long sigh in disbelief, think I'll need to hit the bottle myself after this...:rolleyes:

Maybe poster js97 should be ridiculed too for he is essentially implying residents in Regent Park/unmixed Public Housing neighborhoods are largely all criminals... stop with the witch hunts already.

Originally Posted by js97
Mixed housing makes for less criminals in Public Housing, but it also creates an environment complacency. Why would I want to move out of my fancy 60 richmond condo?

Ease up everyone, this is only a condo forum. let's get back on topic for a change would you :D

Last edited:
The study you posted describes a relationship between alcohol consumption and poverty, not a cause. Your premise for this argument (that proximity to the Distillery District could somehow exacerbate poverty) is ridiculously flawed to begin with.

The study you posted describes a relationship between alcohol consumption and poverty, not a cause. Your premise for this argument (that proximity to the Distillery District could somehow exacerbate poverty) is ridiculously flawed to begin with.

i don't dwynix3 realizes where the name DD comes from.
the distilleries have been out of service for at least 20 years, with some as early as 40 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillery_District

The study you posted describes a relationship between alcohol consumption and poverty, not a cause. .

Yes exactly, this all started when earlier posters questioned the validity of my statement in particularly my argument of "there is an increased propensity for achololism amongst the economically disadvanaged", in their view drinking rate is considerably higher among the economically advantaged, they asked for evidence/statistical study which I have gladly provided .

The study is meant to clear the air as far as the notion of population living in poor neighbourhoods are more prone to alcohol use,
"Women in poor neighbourhoods drank 2.6 alcoholic drinks (either wine, beer or hard liquor) per week on average versus women living in affluent neighbourhoods who drank 2.2 alcoholic drinks each week.

Men living in poor neighbourhoods, drank 8.5 alcoholic drinks weekly, compared to men in wealthy neighbourhoods who drank 4.5 alcoholic drinks per week. The study examined a national sample of 93,457 Canadians living in urban neighbourhood areas."

In my previous statements nothing was said about the The cause of alcoholism, it is a multifaceted complex topic for one would surely be awared the nobel prize should a true underlying cause be found enabling its final eradication from the wider society.

I half heartedly made the distillery comment as I believe it is understandable that the ease of alcohol access next to a low income neighbourhood would exacerbate alcoholism, yes I do realize
the distilleries have been out of service for at least 20 years, with some as early as 40 years ago.
but the area other than the abundance of mid-highend shopping venues is still predominately known for its bar/restaurant scene. It was merely a light hearted comment, I respect your opinion should you interpert it as ridiculously flawed. However I am afraid refusing to acknowledge the obvious relationship bewteen alcohol and poverty when study/facts are presented is an utter farse.

To each his own, these petty tempered quarrels certainly made me appreciate that we aren't basking in the glorious DPRK under the dear leader kim jong il, where every misconstrued "fact" or comment could cost one's life.

Heard there might be some overweight people moving into The Candy Factory Lofts. Seems like a bad idea!!
LOL nicely said, thank you for ending it on a lighter note. good night... ;)

Last edited:

There needs to be some sort of sunset clause for able bodied.

p.s. Gansevoort hotel is moving into the disillery district.

In NYC a few floors in any given building can be set aside for low income families. Not sure about new construction but it was common in older buildings. It wasn't a big deal to live with poor people and truthfully you never saw anyone beyond your own floor.

It's probably a better way of mixing than ghettoizing a bunch of people into what becomes some crappy neighborhood with few amenities.

I have one simple suggestion on how to improve tourism, business and the overall look of the Distillery District. Get rid of this guy:

zDSC_5340.jpg

I've lost count how many times I walk by and shake my head at this thing.

But in all seriousness, I feel the pain of many of the businesses in the Distillery. The new development is a good thing but it's a long and arduous process. I would love to see the property values go up in this neighborhood too but it's been rather slow. I'd really like to see the building on the northwest corner of Mill & Trinity be converted into something cool. It has so much potential.

(http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=toront...nHaWbBq8tn5O9oOA&cbp=12,308.03,,0,-10.51&z=17)

I have one simple suggestion on how to improve tourism, business and the overall look of the Distillery District. Get rid of this guy:

I've lost count how many times I walk by and shake my head at this thing.

Really? The Distillery is an arts district, and this is art. I think it's pretty cool, as do the hordes of tourists posing for photos beside it every time I walk through. It's great to have at the entrance, indicating to people that this area is something special.

Maybe it's just this particular piece of art that doesn't appeal to you, which is fair enough, but art is subjective: the giant abstract sculpture in front of Balzac's does little for me personally, but I can live with it and in general I think having a sculpture in that location is a good idea.

But in all seriousness, I feel the pain of many of the businesses in the Distillery. The new development is a good thing but it's a long and arduous process. I would love to see the property values go up in this neighborhood too but it's been rather slow. I'd really like to see the building on the northwest corner of Mill & Trinity be converted into something cool. It has so much potential.

I'd argue that the development of this area has been lightening fast by most standards, and particularly by Toronto standards. The redevelopment of the Distillery is barely 10 years old, and the transformation has been incredible since that time. Clear Spirits will be completed soon, bringing many new residents. The next few years is going to be even more insane with the rush to create entire surrounding neighbourhoods from nothing in time for the 2015 Pan Am games.

Other proposals like the Gansevoort hotel/condo on Mill St and the potential land swap of a condo development from across Parliament to Mill St will rapidly fill in those missing gaps soon. Also, I'm pretty sure the value of the condos in the Distillery have increased quite dramatically over the past decade, on pace with anywhere else in the city.

Last edited:
As City painter says, it's an art district so why would one get rid of art? You may not like this particular piece but many people (including me) do and I am constantly seeing tourists being photographed in front of it.

Back