News   Apr 22, 2024
 813     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 693     0 

Distillery District

It will be mostly condos and some student housing for George Brown, there is a new TCHC building going up at St Lawrence Street and King but, as far as I know, none in the main part of the West Don Lands.
I must say I 'admire' your decision to buy property without doing much (or any?) investigation as to what is happening in the neighbourhood. In this case I think you made a good decision but it is a 'bit' risky to buy and only then look at the neighbourhood!

Some posted here a while back that" the province and feds have announced $23 million in funding for 218-new affordablerental units for low-income families and seniors in the West Don Lands. The federeal money is flowing through the government’s economic action plan. The city is waiving $4.3 million in development fees and property tax exemptions. The city is also directing $7.4 million from the provincial Developing Opportunities for Ontario Renters program to create an additional 25 units."

My broker buddy tells me TCHC will be moving some of the displaced Regent park residents to the west don lands, hopefully it won't turn out to be the next regent park, being next to the distillery district doesn't help.;)

My broker buddy tells me TCHC will be moving some of the displaced Regent park residents to the west don lands, hopefully it won't turn out to be the next regent park, being next to the distillery district doesn't help.;)

I believe the new approach of the city, mainly as a lesson learned from past experiences like Regent Park, is to intersperse public housing within other neighbourhoods rather than "ghettoize" a single area of the city. This is the model that has worked well for decades in the nearby St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood. Much of the Don Lands development will be in the form of condos, some of them very pricey. Mixing in TCHC housing is a great idea and will keep the neighbourhood demographic diverse. The condos and businesses at the Distillery are quite high-end and expensive, so I'm not sure how its proximity could turn anything into "the next Regent Park". Some of the newer TCHC buildings, such as the one at 288 King East near Berkeley, or 60 Richmond East near Church, are beautiful modern buildings that most passersby would likely assume were condos if not told otherwise.

... Some of the newer TCHC buildings, such as the one at 288 King East near Berkeley, or 60 Richmond East near Church, are beautiful modern buildings that most passersby would likely assume were condos if not told otherwise.

frankly, i would love to live in any of those TCHC buildings than some of the newer condos being built.

I believe the new approach of the city, mainly as a lesson learned from past experiences like Regent Park, is to intersperse public housing within other neighbourhoods rather than "ghettoize" a single area of the city. This is the model that has worked well for decades in the nearby St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood. Much of the Don Lands development will be in the form of condos, some of them very pricey. Mixing in TCHC housing is a great idea and will keep the neighbourhood demographic diverse.

Agreed, 100%. Ghettoizing low income earners into entire neighbourhoods clearly doesn't work.
They need to build a few low-rise TCHC buildings in the Forest Hill and Rosedale areas. Low income earners deserve nice places to live in like those nabes plus I'd love to see the neighbourhood uproar :)

The condos and businesses at the Distillery are quite high-end and expensive, so I'm not sure how its proximity could turn anything into "the next Regent Park".

Simple equation: Distillery/booze + low income earner/welfare recipient = perfect marriage made in heaven/next Regent park

Well only if they can earn enough to afford it, maybe that's the masterplan to finally eliminate proverty in this city.

The only thing particularly boozey about the Distillery is the name. Have you ever been there?

yup was there just last week, had some overpriced wings & beer @ Mill street, should gone to Regent park for some decent chow. :(

Last edited:
Simple equation: Distillery/booze + low income earner/welfare recipient = perfect marriage made in heaven/next Regent park

Well only if they can earn enough to afford it, maybe that's the masterplan to finally eliminate proverty in this city.

You know the Distillery doesn't still make tons of booze. And it's not exactly in troughs around the neighbourhood. Also, wow, you're being pretty prejudicial, there! :) Not all low income people just drink all day. And even if they did, the Distillery is a bad place to do it. The cheapest bar is mid range, and everywhere else is very expensive.

Not all low income people just drink all day. And even if they did.

Right but then again you do have to admit there is an increased propensity for achololism amongst the economically disadvanaged.
The cheapest bar is mid range, and everywhere else is very expensive.
yup, which is why I said it'll be an inventive way to finally end proverty in this city. :p

Right but then again you do have to admit there is an increased propensity for achololism amongst the economically disadvanaged.
Do you have any studies or evidence to back that up?

I do remember reading (this was a while back, numbers could have changed) that drinking and driving rates were considerably higher among the economically advantaged -- one of the few health risk factors where this was the case.

dwynix3 said: Right but then again you do have to admit there is an increased propensity for achololism amongst the economically disadvanaged.

I have never seen any evidence of this but it is certainly true that the rich can get drunk at home and out of sight while the poor tend to drink outside and are more visible. There is also the fact that if you are a rich alcoholic you will eventually end up as a poor one.

Do you have any studies or evidence to back that up?

I do remember reading (this was a while back, numbers could have changed) that drinking and driving rates were considerably higher among the economically advantaged -- one of the few health risk factors where this was the case.

Who said anything about drinking & driving?
[/I]

I have never seen any evidence of this but it is certainly true that the rich can get drunk at home and out of sight while the poor tend to drink outside and are more visible. There is also the fact that if you are a rich alcoholic you will eventually end up as a poor one.

Perhaps I'm wrong, surely those stumbling; vulgar; droopy eyed characters I came across at Queen/Sherbourne are actually yuppie investment bankers in disguise out on a Sunday stroll, next time I'll be sure to approach them for some hot stock tips. :)

Study links poverty and alcohol use
Written by: SHARON LEM, QMI Agency
Mar. 4, 2011

TORONTO - Men living in poor neighbourhoods like to consume three times as many alcoholic drinks per week than their female counterparts, a new study shows.

"Surprisingly, where a woman lives really doesn't impact her tendency to drink alcohol despite whether women live in poor or wealthy neighbourhoods," said Flora Matheson, a researcher at St. Michael's Hospital and the lead author of the study published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

Women in poor neighbourhoods drank 2.6 alcoholic drinks (either wine, beer or hard liquor) per week on average versus women living in affluent neighbourhoods who drank 2.2 alcoholic drinks each week.

Men living in poor neighbourhoods, however, drank 8.5 alcoholic drinks weekly, compared to men in wealthy neighbourhoods who drank 4.5 alcoholic drinks per week. The study examined a national sample of 93,457 Canadians living in urban neighbourhood areas.

Research suggests the consumption gap between genders may have something to do with aspects of the environment that promote heavy drinking as well as how men and women cope with stress.

If a person lives in a neighbourhood culture that promotes and supports heavier alcohol use, rather than sanctioning it, then you might be influenced to drink more.

Other research suggests that poor communities are more likely to support a substance use or abuse culture.

Matheson speculates another reason which could contribute to why men may drink more than women could occur because men are more risk-takers and tend to externalize stress by drinking, while women tend to internalize stress in the form of depression or anxiety.

Matheson said there are few studies such as hers which looked at neighbourhood poverty and drinking, comparing both men and women.

"I was curious when I saw the results of this study because they hadn't been demonstrated in literature before," Matheson said.

"We can bridge the gap by providing clinical services which are directly related to educating those at high risk and provide low-fee counselling to reach men living in poor neighbourhoods," Matheson suggested.

A poor neighbourhood includes a large portion of the population with less than a high school education, lone-parent families, people receiving social assistance, high unemployment, many buildings in disrepair and families in financial difficulty.

Last edited:
Most of the people using this board are well-educated, well-spoken, or both. I cherish the thoughtful nuggets our best members leave here every day.

Let's not feed the trolls.

Most of the people using this board are well-educated, well-spoken, or both. I cherish the thoughtful nuggets our best members leave here every day.

Let's not feed the trolls.

The board is a public medium for the free exchange of opinions, the content of which could often be objectionable to some, so long as they are fact-based, simply broadly construding all opposing views as uneducated trolling would run contrary to the underlying principles of a public forum.

Last edited:
To be clear, the opinion that you are free-exchanging is that most low-income people are drunks that smell bad and you hope to avoid living in areas that might attempt to provide housing to said low-income people, right?

Also -- and stop me if I'm getting this wrong -- you are concerned that residents of future TCHC homes adjacent to the Distillery District might, under the cover of darkness, break into the old Tankhouses and begin distilling their own alcohol using the heritage machinery, and that this might negatively impact their ability to find work.

Back