News   Jul 22, 2024
 180     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 983     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 527     0 

Disappearing Subway Maps

The issue is two-fold:

Yes, the maps are being stolen. This is not new.

What is new, however, is that for whatever reason the subway divisions had run out of stock, and were not able to replace them every night as they usually do.

Some time ago Mr. Giambrone posted on his blog that anyone wanting one need only contact him, and he would send it out. I don't know if that offer still stands, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Whether it made a dent in the removing of maps, I don't know.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Did they end up building those digital LED maps (with lights showing you where you are within the system) into the new subway cars? I think they were part of the demo cars at the Ex a couple of years back. Maybe they're not bothering replacing maps because those are coming online within the next year?

Maybe if all the current maps are stolen, they'll be forced to put the pre-Sheppard subway maps back up...my last sighting of a pre-2002 map was, I believe, in 2007.

Funny you should mention that... In 2003 I believe I was in a train and I heard people discussing this map. and I looked over and the map did not have the SRT on it! Hard to believe, I know It was the strangest thing.

I first noticed the lack of maps on Saturday, when I took the train to the west end for the first time in a while. With the stop announcements, it's easier not to miss your stop, if you're heading in the right direction on the right line, even if there's no maps.

Talking to the GM today, he said there has been a high increase of the maps being stolen along with advertisement the last few months for what every reasons.

TTC is having a hard time trying to keep up with replacing them.

Since there is a decline in advertisement, that why there more white space.

I have one of the pre-Sheppard ones. I'd pay for a current one though, well, depending on the price anyway.

I'm not proud that I probably contributed to the theft of maps: I bought one off a guy on Yonge St. for $10 bucks. He probably went on to steal more to sell.

Nonetheless, while the TTC has become more modernized under Giambrone's watch, they're still missing out on a huge merchandising opportunity. The point isn't to make money selling merchandise, the opportunity is in making the TTC a brand people identify positively with.

The London Underground could have the worst service ever but you wouldn't know it by how much merchandise its logo is on. It's cool to wear a London Tube tshirt. A double decker red bus is a must buy for tourists visiting London.

If the TTC sold maps and other merch, I'd likely buy it off them instead of some guy on the street.

I was once told that you could buy the TTC map at that sad Legacy TTC merchandise store at Union Station.

I have on a couple of occasions seen the pre-Sheppard map on subway trains, with Downsview pasted in apparently. Notably, those maps were bolted in.

Nonetheless, while the TTC has become more modernized under Giambrone's watch, they're still missing out on a huge merchandising opportunity. The point isn't to make money selling merchandise, the opportunity is in making the TTC a brand people identify positively with.

I recall Moscoe mentioning that there is a retail firm paying TTC for an exclusive contract for selling TTC merchanidise; they simply don't bother to make/sell anything for whatever reason.

Does anybody know what the TTC has for current retail obligations?

The maps ceased being of any practical use to me when the street numbers of station intersections were dropped from them, several years ago.

I'm looking at the one on my wall right now (with addresses) and its pre-sheppard, pre-downsview, pre-North York Centre (!) but post-RT. I remember my uncle gave it to me when I was 9 and we had to move away from toronto.

I am indifferent to owning a subway map from the cars. What I really want someone to steal for me is one of the big, metal PATH maps, now quite out date and perhaps ready for refreshing. They are quite lovely and so very impractical and expensive to produce that it makes me want one very badly.

Perhaps if someone else out there wants one, we could team up. I think the thing to do would be to arrange the theft in mid-day, in full sight of everyone, while wearing coveralls or some such thing, on the pretense that they are being updated shortly.

TTC posted Subway Maps...

Everyone: I remember myself that the TTC posted Subway maps the same way as "car card" advertisements - I remember getting one that I still have
back in the early 80s aboard a Spadina-bound train in an near-empty car...

The CTA in Chicago placed maps the same way-I have a 1986 map that I got thru them back then...
They later thwarted any thought of map thieves by encasing them in a plastic holder requiring them to be slid out slowly after releasing the holder from the
slots holding them in place. Perhaps the TTC should do the same if too many
maps are being stolen...

Another example is NYC-Subway maps are encased behind glass or plexiglass
to prevent their theft and remember that they are exactly the same as the folded maps that the MTA issues...it is the same with buses that have a posted borough map as some do.

Thoughts from LI MIKE

I have repeatedly suggested to the TTC that the maps be offered for sale to (possibly) reduce theft. At the Transit Stuff store in Union subway station ... at Gateway newsstands ... anywhere.

One issue is the car maps are made of fire retardant material and while I was not quoted an exact cost per unit, their retail price could be pretty high if offered at or above cost.

A less sturdy version is being offered by TTC; previously through the chair and now I suppose through the customer info line 416-393-3030. Apparently they mail one out for free. It may be made of paper -- haven't seen it.

For a while (probably pre-Sheppard) the maps were screwed down tightly and turned a bit yellow.
Recently I have seen evidence of maps being affixed with a single screw on each end -- one map was ripped out anyway.

There have been several official assurances regarding immediate replacement of stolen maps. Not happening -- on B-D, anyway.

-ed

Back