News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Detroit People Mover (photos and videos)

The DPM, Miami peoplemover and Jacksonville(?) peoplemover were all built under a particlular US Federal funding scheme for downtown peoplemovers/circulators (as opposed to transit into and out of the cores).

All in all, it really belongs to the same wacky US urban-futurist ethos that gave us the Knoxville World's Fair. (Probably the most Yacht Rock of all World's Fairs...)

Nice photos! I've wanted to go to Detroit for a while (I've only been to suburban Detroit before), what's there to do and see? Pretty accessible without having to drive around? Safe?

^ You should go check out the Detroit photos in the City Photos section.

Yea, but does the DPM afford you a front row view of the Bicks' outdoor vats with the uncovered fermenting pickles?

They replaced the place where the pickle vats used to sit with a building extension. Now all you can see is a wall of concrete blocks and gray metal siding.

^ And it's a cardboard/recycling plant now, not a pickle place.

The Miami one at least serves a useful purpose as a downtown distributor for their heavy rail rapid transit system which doesn't quite enter the downtown.

Forgive for stating the obvious, but it's a sad day in hell when a city like Detroit has a modern alternative to subways and we don't. A network of these in Scarborough, to replace our crumbling SRT and extend further east than McCowan is just what we need now. This wouldn't be a bad option for the DRL either.

In case you didn't get the obvious, the Detroit People Mover (apart from total automation) is exactly the same thing as the SRT!

Please I hope you are not suggesting expanding the existing SRT and making it into a multi-branched system!

"In case you didn't get the obvious, the Detroit People Mover (apart from total automation) is exactly the same thing as the SRT!"

It's also, sort of, a...MONORAIL!

Socialwoe =
KS6534.jpg

After watching some Youtube videos of rides on the Mark I Vancouver Skytrains, I've noticed that their automated station announcements start with the same chime sound as the DPM announcements. Coincidence, or were the Mark I trains (including the SRT) built with automated announcements with that chime sound, just like the trademark three-tone door closing chime?

Vancouver Skytrain automated announcement video

Adma: Your post is inappropriate in my opinion.
It was my impression that Socialwoe did get "the obvious", as he himself referred to it. He was commenting that a network of people movers could be extended throughout Scarborough. Whether one agrees with this or not (I don't, as it happens), he is entitled to put forward a view.

Yes, but there are reasonable views that one can respect without necessarily agreeing with them and then there are unreasonable ones that deserve the ridicule they get, especially when they're from someone with a persecution complex who compares himself to Jesus.

Please I hope you are not suggesting expanding the existing SRT and making it into a multi-branched system!

In ways, yes and no. Existing SRT to Markham/Sheppard or Malvern. New Eglinton East line to West Hill/UTSC/Hwy 2 area and new Sheppard line back to meet subway at Don Mills.

It's also, sort of, a...MONORAIL!

And that must be an absolute tragedy then. The subway runs along elevated guideways in several locations all over the city, a similar technology could mimic what many have already come to accept as albeit an eyesore a practical one.

Socialwoe =

Adma= dumbassretardclosemindeddeliquenttroublemakingbottomfeeder No graphics required to demonstrate idiocy :evil !

Whether one agrees with this or not, he is entitled to put forward a view.

I can think this message applies to at least 5 posters!

Yes, but there are reasonable views that one can respect without necessarily agreeing with them and then there are unreasonable ones that deserve the ridicule they get, especially when they're from someone with a persecution complex who compares himself to Jesus.

What's unreasonable about wanting to expand the SRT? The York U project's in jeopardy, how must the city afford to build 2 subway extensions simultaneously when it can't fund one? The reluntance to seek alternative options may result in no rapid transit to STC period for nearly a decade, is that what you want? And even with the 2-stop BD extension there's the extremely false impression that every commuter through Scarborough is destined for STC. When we put all our eggs in one basket i.e. all routes to STC, all the other peripherial nodes in Scarborough won't see RT for another 30? 50? 100 years? Who knows, the point is these residents/commuters lose out. Preserving the SRT, which if ran more frequently wouldn't have as many capacity issues as today, could penetrate more nodes/communities and place less emphasis on buses. Oh and that messiah complex thing was a result of the decisively dismissive behaviour of some who chose to ridicule every opinion I had before I had it. You obvioulsy need to lighten up if think I seriously believe I'm Christlike when I was just saying that jokingly.

Back