News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.8K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension

Don't remember him campaigning those topics? And what does this have to do with this topic or what good are you trying add here. Please just stop now or take it to a Politics thread if they even accept this nonsense here.

Then perhaps you should pay more attention. It was quite clear what Ford stood for.

This entire thread was created to separate nonsense from actual project thread, so you could have somewhere to post.

Yes, the current route is 4 minutes longer...but I can get on/off at Lawrence, Ellesmere Midland, STC and McCowan.

There's also increased travel time for all the people who will now have longer bus rides. The TTC has already stated that trains running from Kennedy to STC likely won't run at full speed either.

The current RT is actually quite efficient. I probably can't get from Union to St. Clair in 10 minutes. I certainly can't get from Spadina and King to Spadina Station in 10 minutes, and it's only 3 kilometers or so. What about Union Station to Spadina, just a 4.5 km trip? It's about 20 minutes, and I have to make a transfer too.

A quick 8-10 minute ride to STC with four other stops is amazing.

What obtuse logic. So what if the bus commute is slightly longer? In most cases it'll be shorter. And furthermore you'd be sparing those commuters the needless transfer from bus-to-LRT-to-subway they'd otherwise have to go through. Have you ever stopped to consider that? Elderly women with canes and mothers with strollers and the physically disabled you're forcing to withstand all these transfers just to save a billion bucks! West Scarborough commuters probably aren't going to travel counter-flow if they're heading into downtown. They'll head west towards DRL and YUS. And McCowan penetrates far deeper into Scarborough than Kennedy/the RT corridor does, ergo most people coming from the east are being spared up to ten minutes commuting time intercepting the subway line far sooner than they would the LRT line. And once on the subway it'll only take them 6 minutes to get to Kennedy and 25 minutes to Bloor-Yonge. How is this not transformative change for most commuters through Scarborough?

As most subway advocates have pointed out already, the situation at Lawrence-McCowan may in fact be salvageable and ergo that's no reason to write off the entire project. With Lawrence (and Eglinton-Brimley) added in, what difference at this point does it make whether or not we proceed with the subway extension.

The SELRT corridor is suppose to be under review. So while its highly unlikely the SELRT would ever be supported in the old form I would agree they could make the case for a local loop if they extend the subway. But even the FWIW in terms of cost and convenience in the long run why not just finish the last stretch of subway to the stub anyway as a complete belt? The LRT could link from Eglinton East, thru Malvern to Agincourt (or McCowan) where the subway dead ends. I believe this to be the likely outcome, unless the subway is dead ended at Sheppard as you mentioned.
Well, assuming that we didn't care about the billions of dollars extra that a subway would cost over other options... And we are fine with lower frequency service,

The primary concern is if we want to have a subway that long. There are real operational reasons to keep subway routes shorter. Dead ended to a tranfer station at Sheppard is a real possibility, even if Line 4 was extended all the way to say, McCowan and Sheppard to meet Line 2.

What obtuse logic. So what if the bus commute is slightly longer? In most cases it'll be shorter. And furthermore you'd be sparing those commuters the needless transfer from bus-to-LRT-to-subway they'd otherwise have to go through. Have you ever stopped to consider that? Elderly women with canes and mothers with strollers and the physically disabled you're forcing to withstand all these transfers just to save a billion bucks! West Scarborough commuters probably aren't going to travel counter-flow if they're heading into downtown. They'll head west towards DRL and YUS. And McCowan penetrates far deeper into Scarborough than Kennedy/the RT corridor does, ergo most people coming from the east are being spared up to ten minutes commuting time intercepting the subway line far sooner than they would the LRT line. And once on the subway it'll only take them 6 minutes to get to Kennedy and 25 minutes to Bloor-Yonge. How is this not transformative change for most commuters through Scarborough?

As most subway advocates have pointed out already, the situation at Lawrence-McCowan may in fact be salvageable and ergo that's no reason to write off the entire project. With Lawrence (and Eglinton-Brimley) added in, what difference at this point does it make whether or not we proceed with the subway extension.

Is this sarcasm?

If not, it appears you're one of those Scarborough riders that never actually leave Scarborough. It also appears you have a tenuous grasp of 'logic'.

Here's an idea for the elderly and disabled: an elevator. Are you familiar with the concept? You basically get in, hit a button, and it takes you to another level. It's like magic! Best of all, I can guarantee it'll cost less than $1 billion dollars. They could probably afford a few escalators too.

Believe it or not, but mothers, the elderly and disabled all across Toronto use the TTC without a direct subway connection. Some take the streetcar and then have to transfer. Some have to transfer at more than one point.

That's how transit works.

What's sad is that the previous LRT would've put far more of the elderly and disabled in walking distance of rapid transit, with the potential for (relatively) quick expansion throughout other priority areas of Scarborough.

What a novel idea - rapid transit that actually helps people in Scarborough efficiently get around Scarborough.

Unfortunately the Scarborough elitists don't seem to actually care about the elderly or transit within Scarborough, where most transit trips begin and end - they simply care about a stop at STC so they can park and ride without a transfer...because it's not like anyone else in Toronto ever has to transfer.

Yes, the current route is 4 minutes longer...but I can get on/off at Lawrence, Ellesmere Midland, STC and McCowan.

There's also increased travel time for all the people who will now have longer bus rides. The TTC has already stated that trains running from Kennedy to STC likely won't run at full speed either.

The current RT is actually quite efficient. I probably can't get from Union to St. Clair in 10 minutes. I certainly can't get from Spadina and King to Spadina Station in 10 minutes, and it's only 3 kilometers or so. What about Union Station to Spadina, just a 4.5 km trip? It's about 20 minutes, and I have to make a transfer too.

A quick 8-10 minute ride to STC with four other stops is amazing.

And this while using a dwindling supply of ancient maxed-capacity trains, and having all upgrade plans kicked down the road for decades. For an experiment done on the cheap and that's been neglected its ridership and reliability are really good.

Sometimes I notice similarities between Line 3 and the RL, at least the present RL phase I plans. Both are short standalone lines, both reliant on subway-subway transfers for the majority of ridership, both with nearly identical distances between terminals, both with a similar L-shape, and (this is my opinion) but I think RL is likely to also use narrower subway vehicles.

Is this sarcasm?

If not, it appears you're one of those Scarborough riders that never actually leave Scarborough. It also appears you have a tenuous grasp of 'logic'.

Here's an idea for the elderly and disabled: an elevator. Are you familiar with the concept? You basically get in, hit a button, and it takes you to another level. It's like magic! Best of all, I can guarantee it'll cost less than $1 billion dollars. They could probably afford a few escalators too.

Believe it or not, but mothers, the elderly and disabled all across Toronto use the TTC without a direct subway connection. Some take the streetcar and then have to transfer. Some have to transfer at more than one point.

That's how transit works.

What's sad is that the previous LRT would've put far more of the elderly and disabled in walking distance of rapid transit, with the potential for (relatively) quick expansion throughout other priority areas of Scarborough.

What a novel idea - rapid transit that actually helps people in Scarborough efficiently get around Scarborough.

Unfortunately the Scarborough elitists don't seem to actually care about the elderly or transit within Scarborough, where most transit trips begin and end - they simply care about a stop at STC so they can park and ride without a transfer...because it's not like anyone else in Toronto ever has to transfer.

I never said these affected groups can't use an elevator. The subway option will also involve elevators obviously. What I'm saying though is what you are promoting will involve longer walking times to transfer between the respective modes of transit. How is that helping people, when for marginally higher cost we can invest in eliminating those transfers? And most transit trips don't end in Scarborough, less than half do:

briefing-scarborough-transit-planning-update-8-638.jpg

Seems like a sizable chunk are in fact going to the areas surrounding the YUS Line.

Do you understand the science behind polling? You don't have to ask every single resident to get an accurate result; you simply have to poll a valid sample set. The margin of error is included in the results.

Do you understand math and statistics, in particular the difference between a systematic sampling error, and the margin of error that is normally caused by the limited sample size?

Assume you have a town with 100,000 people, 32% of them like basketball and 44% like baseball. When you poll 500 people, you might find that 34% of those polled like basketball, and 41% like baseball. You will have a margin of error equal to 2 or 3 or 4 points. You could get a smaller error by polling more people, but for many purposes, your results are already good enough.

Now if you conduct your poll on a day of a major baseball game, you might get only 15% responses in favor of baseball. That's because many baseball fans will be out watching the game, or glued to the screens and not taking phone calls. That would be a systematic sampling error. The error wouldn't get any smaller if you polled more people on the same day, and it wouldn't be reflected in the margin of error.

Anyway, I said that the poll results have to be taken with a grain of salt; never said that they all should be ignored.

These polls were done years into the debate. They've far more reliable than cherry picking election results. People voting may not care about transit either, and you have no way of knowing which votes voted specifically about one issue.

Cherry picking is selecting one group of data that suites you most, and ignoring the rest. That's exactly what you are doing when you refer to the polls only and ignore results of multiple election campaigns.

Just because you call the polls far more reliable, they don't actually become far more reliable.

Except that the costs aren't fully outlined (council has stated there's room for at least 50% growth) and the majority of Torontoians are against the plan.

The majority of Torontoians are fine with the subway plan.

BTW you're completely contradicting yourself.

In your imagination.

Supposedly the last election was a decision on subways vs LRTs, yet Scarborough voted overwhelmingly in favour of Doug Ford, who basically ran the same platform as his brother in 2010, including the same misleading transit statements.
So was it a vote on the subway, or a vote for lower taxes and lower spending?

During the 2010 election campaign, I heard / read a lot of noises about taxes from the Ford's side, and much less about transit. Therefore I decided to make it a bit easier for you, and not insist on including the 2010 election results in the body of evidence that the electorate tends to support pro-subway candidates.

But if you want them included, no problem. They fit into the trend.

Is it fair to say Scarborough voted for homophobia and bigotry along with a subway?

No it's not fair to say what you said.

First of all, homophobia and bigotry were RoFo's personal failings, not elements of his election platform. Secondly, the residents who voted for him, could not possibly expect to benefit from the said features of the mayor. Unlike the subway, that they definitely hoped to benefit from (you are free to believe or not whether they will actually benefit).

It is fair to say that they chose to overlook RoFo's personal failings, in the hope that he will deliver them benefits of another nature. Whether that was a smart choice, is a matter of another debate that isn't relevant for a transit thread.

Last edited:
I always thought that extension to Sheppard would make the SELRT very useful, more useful than originally planned, as a shuttle between Don Mills and McCowan.

It definitely would.

SELRT with a Sheppard extension would never reach near capacity (not that I think it would have if it was unidirectional) as passenger flow will be split in bidirectionally. Somepoint around Agincourt, the majority travel direction will switch the other way.

But SELRT is off the table now.

SELRT is likely off the table in its present form. However, it might resurrect as a high-floor, express LRT route that incorporates the Sheppard Subway tunnel.

SELRT is dead. At this rate the FWLRT may die a slow death by endless delays. It’s subway or bust. The best we may ever see in our life times onboard Sheppard east is a BRT.

SELRT is dead. At this rate the FWLRT may die a slow death by endless delays. It’s subway or bust. The best we may ever see in our life times onboard Sheppard east is a BRT.

Finch isn't helped by the latest delays, but so far it is alive and kicking.

As of Sheppard, it sounds like the main contention point is transfer at Don Mills, rather than the choice of technology. It will be tempting for the pols of all levels to find a solution that eliminates the transfer, and is relatively affordable at the same time.

SELRT is likely off the table in its present form. However, it might resurrect as a high-floor, express LRT route that incorporates the Sheppard Subway tunnel.
Oh how I would welcome that solution.

We should have a custom-ordered LRT vehicle. If Bombardier doesn't want to build it to our specifications, then I am sure Siemens or some other company would be more than happy too. No absolute need to keep the same rolling stock for every LRT line, especially since it is unlikely Sheppard will connect to any, minus possibly with Crosstown East.

Back