News   Jul 25, 2024
 336     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 523     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 456     0 

Death of Clubland (aka: Is Adam Vaughan trying to kill the Club District?)

Everyone: How does today's club areas differ from what existed in the 80s? I was able to center today's club area on the mentioned Richmond and Adelaide Streets-Is this W of Yonge? Peter Street/Richmond was named-is this the heart of today's District? I remember Queen Street W as a heart of Toronto's nightlife-are these rock clubs that had bands that I recall like back in the 80s? In short-What is different today? LI MIKE

In three words: "What Is Love"
a_night_at_the_roxbury.jpg

Sorry, you're right. What I intended to say is that the club industry represents a large bulk of his constituents.
I seriously doubt that. Constituents have the right to vote someone out. How many people in club land (owners or customers) actually have a vote in Vaughns ward? How many of those people exercise their right to vote in Vaughns ward if they have that right?

Adam Vaughan is an idiot he only wants to make a name for himself, why ruin one of the best things about Toronto. Besides the CN tower Toronto is also known for its club scene, I think its the biggest in North America. Now with much more homeless people near clubs it won't be as appealing or popular. Adam Vaughan was probably kicked out of clubs when he was young because he looked like a dorky 12-year old, now he wants to bring vengeance. Why doesn't he propose a homeless shelter across the Skydome while he's at it. :mad:

Of course, one of the issues concerning the debate about clubland is when people who do not live in the area decide to dictate how it should be managed, or not managed. No, this specific district is not the best place for a homeless shelter, but then you will rarely find any complete agreement on where one should go.

Concerning the clubs, there are probably a fair number of people who live in that general area who agree with Vaughan's stance. With over 80 night clubs in a one square kilometre area, that's a pretty high concentration. Let's remember, the entertainment district is more than just the night clubs.

Adam Vaughan was probably kicked out of clubs when he was young because he looked like a dorky 12-year old,
What's worse--looking like a dorky 12-year-old like Vaughan, or looking like a vulgar greaseball pimp from Vaughan?

If anyone's, er, dorky, it's the club district regulars these days. I reiterate: last year's clampdown on the Promise Cherry Beach events would have been a worthier cause to protest...

last year's clampdown on the Promise Cherry Beach events would have been a worthier cause to protest...

I was also upset about that, and I believe I posted on it when it happened. I just don't understand how the city coulud decide to shut down the one group of people that was actually making use of that park. They didn't bother anyone. The sole objection seems to be the youth of those involved.

There is a high concentration of homeless people living in clubland, sleeping on grates during the winter etc., so it makes perfect sense to house them there. They shouldn't have to "go" anywhere. They don't cast votes for Adam Vaughan any more than the visiting 905-ers do, but it is correct of the city to meet their housing needs.

Can't argue with that, but I rather suspect their is an agenda here that goes beyond the welfare of the smattering of homeless people that frequent the area.

Think of it in urban-design terms. Promise at Cherry Beach is aA; Club District is Graziani + Corrazza. Which is more "desirable"?

It looks as if its too late for the Club District with all the condo towers being proposed and promptly approved (courtesy of the Great ClubDistrict-Eating-Monster-Vaughan) but I had in mind something that would bring this place under reigns and create some order:

- Designate Richmond St. into an entertainment strip from University to Spadina.
- Widen the sidewalk to allow for patios to pop up along the stretch.
- Repave the road with cobblestone or another traffic calming pavement and make it a pedestrian street on weekend nights, reopen every other time.
- Encourage clubs to relocate here from parallel streets like Adelaide.

These measures would contain the club district into a world renowned entertainment strip that would be easier to police. Making Richmond a pedestrian zone during those hours would prevent the current problem of (drunk) pedestrians constantly jaywalking and sidewalks overfilled with lineups forcing pedestrians onto the street. Peter street is already invariably shut down to control traffic. It's an unofficial pedestrian street after 1am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Nonetheless, Adam Vaughan has his mind made up about destroying the club district and he still has 3 years left on his term. He'll get what he's seeking and Toronto can say buh-bye to all these out of city/region tourist/entertainment dollars.

Resident grievances are legitimate, the need for social services is legitimate but where Vaughan is totally wrong is that he seems to believe that the city is better-off without a night-life industry. He would never say so explicitly but his actions speak for themselves. Here's the thing, the entertainment industry is one of the most important in his ward so he should be championing it and working with businesses and property owners to increase business investment and the range and depth of establishments not only in terms of clubs but theatres, bars, restaurants etc. That is not to say the city and public shouldn't have a say in controlling unfavourable byproducts of these activities. By all means set rules and enforce them with an iron fist but Vaughan should also be building bridges and encourage investment, in otherwords he shouldn't be a player hater, he should be a player participater.

It looks as if its too late for the Club District with all the condo towers being proposed and promptly approved (courtesy of the Great ClubDistrict-Eating-Monster-Vaughan) but I had in mind something that would bring this place under reigns and create some order:

- Designate Richmond St. into an entertainment strip from University to Spadina.
- Widen the sidewalk to allow for patios to pop up along the stretch.
- Repave the road with cobblestone or another traffic calming pavement and make it a pedestrian street on weekend nights, reopen every other time.
- Encourage clubs to relocate here from parallel streets like Adelaide.

These measures would contain the club district into a world renowned entertainment strip that would be easier to police. Making Richmond a pedestrian zone during those hours would prevent the current problem of (drunk) pedestrians constantly jaywalking and sidewalks overfilled with lineups forcing pedestrians onto the street. Peter street is already invariably shut down to control traffic. It's an unofficial pedestrian street after 1am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Nonetheless, Adam Vaughan has his mind made up about destroying the club district and he still has 3 years left on his term. He'll get what he's seeking and Toronto can say buh-bye to all these out of city/region tourist/entertainment dollars.

The problem, MetroMan, is that you make too much sense. Sometimes ideas with too much good sense get tossed into the wastebasket.

Adam Vaughan has his good points but they are outweighed by some very worrisome bad points. He appears to be a throwback to the era when having a good time, if it is not his kind of good time, is a bad thing.

Your club strip idea is soooooo good.

Back