News   Jul 25, 2024
 476     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 578     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 466     0 

Death of Clubland (aka: Is Adam Vaughan trying to kill the Club District?)

An Exhibition Place Entertainment District (currently Musik is all by itself there) makes good sense actually. It's a wide open space currently occupied by a massive parking lot, Exhibition Place is looking to remain relevant, it's very accessible via Lakeshore and the Gardiner without passing through downtown and N-S major streets such as Dufferin and Spadina, has access to the lake for party cruises and it's not far from downtown, but far enough to remain out of sight, out of mind of residential communities.

I went to some really good raves at the Better Living Centre back in the day. The concept sounds pretty good.

A really silly article.

It's not at all hard to find residents, business people, building owners, store and restaurant owners who have had bad experiences due to the effects of so many clubs concentrated in one area. The presumption that the area is an exclusive club district is obtuse. For example, there are far more restaurants in the same vicinity than there are night clubs. It's also a bit rich when people living outside the area, outside Vaughan's ward, or outside the city want to dictate how this important piece of downtown land ought to be used. If anything, the overconcentration of clubs has actually slowed the evolution into a more vibrant mixed use community.

I say bring on the mixed-use community - including fewer clubs and more residents, stores businesses and service.

It's funny how some people want to vote Vaughan out because he has noted the number of negative effects of having so many clubs in one area. The fact that he wants to enable the diversification of the district by bringing in more residents and businesses gets left behind or is neglected. These are the real economic generators, not the drinking festival that is incorrectly characterized as clubland. It's also worth noting that the official plan for the area has always included residential uses and residential development and intensification. As this happens, many more clubs will disappear.

The thing is, if the city would actually be enforcing city by-laws more rigorously (along with the AGCO), it's likely that more clubs would have already been fined or put out of business.

A really silly reply.

It's not at all hard to find residents, business people, club owners, and restaurant owners who have had good experiences due to the effects of so many clubs concentrated in one area. The presumption that the area is an exclusively non-club district is obtuse. For example, there are far more restaurants in the same vicinity as the night clubs because of the amount of people that want something to eat after their night out. It's also a bit rich when people such as Adam Vaughan want to dictate how this important piece of downtown land ought to be used. If anything, the overconcentration of clubs has actually sped up the evolution into a more vibrant mixed-use city.

I say bring on the mixed-use city - including more clubs and more residents, stores, businesses and service.

It's funny how some people want to vote Vaughan in because he has noted the number of negative effects of having so many clubs in one area. The fact that he wants to disable the diversification of the city by kicking out more residents and businesses gets left behind or is neglected. These are economic generators, not just the same people that drink coffee's and walk around stores. It's also worth noting that the official plan for the area has always included that homeless shelter they put in to scare off business and residential development and intensification that nobody will buy into just because Adam Vaughan tells them to. As this happens, many more clubs will disappear, and be replaced by nothing.

The thing is, if the city would actually be enforcing laws more rigorously it's likely that this attempt at socializing business with nothing backing it up but deluded self-righteousness, Adam Vaughan's plan would be found to be undemocratic and his anti-business/anti-resident-that-doesn't-fit-his-demographic attitude would have already been put out of office.

It's obvious from your reply to Hydrogen's comments that you are living in the past. You don't understand the community, the position of the Councillor on the issues and most importantly, the wishes of the majority of residents who live in this area and the businesses who are trying to make a buck.

A really silly reply.

It's not at all hard to find residents, business people, club owners, and restaurant owners who have had good experiences due to the effects of so many clubs concentrated in one area. The presumption that the area is an exclusively non-club district is obtuse. For example, there are far more restaurants in the same vicinity as the night clubs because of the amount of people that want something to eat after their night out. It's also a bit rich when people such as Adam Vaughan want to dictate how this important piece of downtown land ought to be used. If anything, the overconcentration of clubs has actually sped up the evolution into a more vibrant mixed-use city.

I say bring on the mixed-use city - including more clubs and more residents, stores, businesses and service.

It's funny how some people want to vote Vaughan in because he has noted the number of negative effects of having so many clubs in one area. The fact that he wants to disable the diversification of the city by kicking out more residents and businesses gets left behind or is neglected. These are economic generators, not just the same people that drink coffee's and walk around stores. It's also worth noting that the official plan for the area has always included that homeless shelter they put in to scare off business and residential development and intensification that nobody will buy into just because Adam Vaughan tells them to. As this happens, many more clubs will disappear, and be replaced by nothing.

The thing is, if the city would actually be enforcing laws more rigorously it's likely that this attempt at socializing business with nothing backing it up but deluded self-righteousness, Adam Vaughan's plan would be found to be undemocratic and his anti-business/anti-resident-that-doesn't-fit-his-demographic attitude would have already been put out of office.
Please reply to my deluded, self-righteous, and much harsher post about this article you cross-posted in the Entertainment District thread. Tia.

Also,
As this happens, many more clubs will disappear, and be replaced by nothing.
Off the top of my head:

- Turbo/Klinik/Whatever crap it degraded to disappeared and has been replaced by a neat design agency.
- Joker disappeared to be possibly replaced by one of Manhattan's hottest hotels.
- Aladdin has been replaced by the highly-regarded Ravisoups.
- Flirt Lounge has been replaced by an ambitious sushi venture.

There are a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

A really silly article.

It's not at all hard to find residents, business people, building owners, store and restaurant owners who have had bad experiences due to the effects of so many clubs concentrated in one area. The presumption that the area is an exclusive club district is obtuse. For example, there are far more restaurants in the same vicinity than there are night clubs. It's also a bit rich when people living outside the area, outside Vaughan's ward, or outside the city want to dictate how this important piece of downtown land ought to be used. If anything, the overconcentration of clubs has actually slowed the evolution into a more vibrant mixed use community.

I say bring on the mixed-use community - including fewer clubs and more residents, stores businesses and service.

It's funny how some people want to vote Vaughan out because he has noted the number of negative effects of having so many clubs in one area. The fact that he wants to enable the diversification of the district by bringing in more residents and businesses gets left behind or is neglected. These are the real economic generators, not the drinking festival that is incorrectly characterized as clubland. It's also worth noting that the official plan for the area has always included residential uses and residential development and intensification. As this happens, many more clubs will disappear.

The thing is, if the city would actually be enforcing city by-laws more rigorously (along with the AGCO), it's likely that more clubs would have already been fined or put out of business.

Are you implying that Adam Vaughan actually supports new residential development? You may not realize it but he is anti-condo development as well...

Are you implying that Adam Vaughan actually supports new residential development? You may not realize it but he is anti-condo development as well...

Oddly enough, when I've talked to him he does not sound at all "anti-condo." What he is working towards is appropriate development in the area.

Did he tell you otherwise?

You're just too witty, rex mejia, though originality is not your thing.

Clubs will replaced by something else - not just the things you want. Too bad, so sad.

that's how the game of crazy eights goes.

...Clubs will replaced by something else..

(as i put down my eight) change it to diamonds..pickup 2....

Oddly enough, when I've talked to him he does not sound at all "anti-condo." What he is working towards is appropriate development in the area.

Did he tell you otherwise?

Adam Vaughan is the one who once referred condos as "vertical sprawl." Hopefully I don't have to explain what is wrong with putting the words "vertical" and "sprawl" together?

The man writes on his website about "intensification" as it is exclusive of high-rise condos. I have seen enough of his quotes in the media and his own writing to know that he and his supporters are just suburbanites living in the city.

I know what you are think: "A suburbanite from the 905 just criticized Adam Vaughan. He must be doing something right." Whatever. I never go clubbing, but I still think Adam Vaughan is an idiot. He is no better than the people in Ajax who protest bus routes in their neighbourhood. It is the same sort of mentality.

I don't oppose a lot of the changes in the club district, but Adam Vaughn and his ridiculous blanket statements indicate a real disdain for clubs and anyone who enjoys them.

I don't see him making it into a second term. I live in his ward and the club district is my livelihood. How I miss the days of Olivia Chow.

Back