News   Sep 24, 2020
 340     0 
News   Sep 24, 2020
 2.4K     1 

Dead/Decaying Malls of Greater Toronto

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've heard rumours that it will be torn down soon and turned into a expanded and wider space for the Gardiner and an expanded off ramp at Kipling, but these are rumours.
I certainly hope there's no truth to that. Society has made more than enough needless sacrifices to car culture.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've heard rumours that it will be torn down soon and turned into a expanded and wider space for the Gardiner and an expanded off ramp at Kipling, but these are rumours.
I've heard that too, as the current Kipling off-ramp is substandard - a gentler and wider approach would be required to bring it up to modern standards, as it was originally a northbound-only ramp. But will only require a sliver of land - the rest of the property will most likely become condos and townhouses, like much of the rest of that section of the Queensway.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've heard that too, as the current Kipling off-ramp is substandard - a gentler and wider approach would be required to bring it up to modern standards, as it was originally a northbound-only ramp. But will only require a sliver of land - the rest of the property will most likely become condos and townhouses, like much of the rest of that section of the Queensway.
The curved on-ramp portion (north to west) should be made a hard right, removing any on-street acceleration lane and making it safer for pedestrians. Ideally the south-to-west ramp would be similarly aligned, either a hard right or left to access the highway, removing the angled divergence/acceleration lane.

We can't waste opportunities such as this to fix the dangers to pedestrians and cyclists in our road system.

Last edited:

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
It is indeed the plan and my understanding is that it is funded as a part of the Gardiner Expressway rehabilitation project, though that stretch of the Gardiner isn't scheduled to be reconstructed for another little while.

I believe they plan on adding an additional lane westbound from Park Lawn to the collector/express split as well as from the collector/express merge to Lake Shore eastbound to improve traffic flow, though that does not require any land takes like the Kipling interchange improvements do.

edit: here is the report:

thettctransitfanatic

Member Bio
Reaction score
IMG_2741.JPG
IMG_2745.JPG

Here's the Zellers Outlet in the Kipling Queensway Mall, which closes soon. You almost have a "what year is it?" moment before walking in. And yes, I know the thread isn't specifically about the store but it's certainly "dead and decaying" in there!