News   Jul 04, 2024
 431     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 478     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

It sounds like Chong has a special interest in extending the subway on Sheppard. He hopes to redirect the funding from McCowan corridor to Sheppard corridor.

In the process, he risks leaving Scarborough without any subway extension at all, because the funding is not really transferable. The projected ridership on a hypothetical Sheppard extension will be lower than on Line 2 extension, and thus the councilors will have harder time agreeing to fund the project from a property surtax. In addition, everybody is already tired from the constantly changing plans.

Fortunately, he has little influence and his proposal will not be taken seriously.

I think whether it is the best course of action or not (more likely the latter), the subway is happening. Municipal and provincial elections have both been won based on the subway option, thus the only thing LRT advocates are likely to accomplish at this point is ensuring that nothing gets built for even longer.

However, IF the RT/LRT wins out, and even if it doesn't, I think that Kennedy and Eglinton should become a new growth centre. There would be several transit connections from here to central and eastern growth centres in the GTA, and the current lack of development in the area makes it a blank canvas for developers and planners to intensify.

If Chong had voted against the project in 2013, it would have been within one vote of being defeated

Are these councillors seriously going to use the cancelation fees as an excuse to oppose the project? They were aware of this back in 2013.

If that's what it takes for them to oppose this project, then so be it. Turns out, maybe $80 million in sunk costs is actually a lot of money to build nothing. Maybe now they're starting to see that the 0.5% subway tax is already wreaking havoc on the budget, and we're only at year one with another 29 to go. These low tax conservatives should be pissing their pants by now, and yet they are the ones who want subways. I think Tory is smart enough to know better than that, but if he wants to do the right thing they he will have to find a way to kill this thing once and for all. Yes there will be some noises coming from Scarborough and a lot of bruised egos that have been invested by "subway champions", but this thing is getting so out of control that maybe it's time to just shut it down before it's too late. Needless to say, I'm not counting on that.

I think whether it is the best course of action or not (more likely the latter), the subway is happening. Municipal and provincial elections have both been won based on the subway option,.

Well I certainly did not vote based on a supposedly Scarborough subway. Only the people in Scarborough did

By the way, I drove to Scarborough City Centre (not the mall the municipal complex) the other week. Amazingly poorly designed and confusing. Amazing.

By the way, I drove to Scarborough City Centre (not the mall the municipal complex) the other week. Amazingly poorly designed and confusing. Amazing.

Hah. I never considered what the cost of simply moving the mall and municipal complex would be relative to the subway extension. I bet both could be plunked near or even part of a rebuilt Kennedy station (now located under/over the GO corridor for tight integration) for a lower price. No doubt the design of both would be far nicer.

Use the remaining capital money to build out GO RER to 3 minute frequencies from Kennedy to Steeles with free TTC transfers. Re-route all Scarborough buses to the nearest GO RER station to trim 15 minutes+ off a the current trip to the mall and up to 40 minutes off a trip downtown.

Another $500M and you could relocate most of the resiential from their SCC location to Kennedy station too, and still be cheaper than the subway option with a much nicer result.

They could always build an extension/new buildings that brings it closer to the subway extension. Any open parking lot in the downtown becomes a highrise eventually. Maybe they could do the same around the Scarborough Town Centre, convert the open parking lots into buildings, with their own version of PATH.

Scarborough "City" Centre. This place has 2 condo towers, strip malls, a handful of low density office complexes and lots of industrial. A "City centre" this is not.

Anyways everything about Scarborough is horribly designed. Everything from the design of roads, to access to services (community centres, retail etc...). We'll all be long dead before this place can be fixed.

Scarborough Civic centre is oriented to the transit station, not the street. If you are driving there it is going to be confusing.

Its very easy to get to when coming from scarborough centre station.

Let's not rewrite history. Why were polls showing that David Miller would've easily won if he ran then?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ding_david_miller_is_outgoing_mayor_says.html

Smitherman and Ford both ran on a Scarborough subway. The big by-election in 2013 had both Liberal (Mitzi Hunter) and Conservative promoting subway. The Provincial election in June 2014 had both Wynne and Hudak supporting the Scarborough Subway. Both Tory and Doug Ford in the 2014 municipal election supported subway.

It seems that consistantly 75% or more of the public has supported anything but the Transit City LRT plan, yet some people still think that the LRT was loved. The facts say that the LRT plan will not be built. Either find a compromise, or accept the current subway plan.

Smitherman and Ford both ran on a Scarborough subway. The big by-election in 2013 had both Liberal (Mitzi Hunter) and Conservative promoting subway. The Provincial election in June 2014 had both Wynne and Hudak supporting the Scarborough Subway. Both Tory and Doug Ford in the 2014 municipal election supported subway.

It seems that consistantly 75% or more of the public has supported anything but the Transit City LRT plan, yet some people still think that the LRT was loved. The facts say that the LRT plan will not be built. Either find a compromise, or accept the current subway plan.

Who says people wouldn't have voted for Smitherman if he supported Transit City? The same for for Tory and Mitzi Hunter.

By that way of thinking you could say that people who voted for John Tory didn't like Rob Ford's 'Subways Subways Subways' message and instead only want RER.

You argue that since Tory said that he wouldn't fight the Scarborough subway he supported it, but that's not what he said. What he said was "I’m not going to begin my term as mayor by ripping up an existing agreement," but he said the same thing about the Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard LRTs too. So if you're to argue that Tory is a subway supporter then why wouldn't you argue that he's an LRT supporter too?

Hmm... Didn't Chow push for more bus service while Tory was cold to the idea? Does that make a vote for Tory a vote against transit? Or was Tory a vote against Doug Ford who was against transit?

Further, while I don't dispute that there are certainly people who voted for a candidate solely for their transit platform, plenty of others voted for a specific candidate because they felt they were the best of the bunch overall, because they were good speakers, because they didn't like the last guy, or because they didn't want someone else to win.

To extrapolate how people feel about one specific transit issue from that is silly.

Back