News   Jul 16, 2024
 680     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 604     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 744     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The underground connection to the subways are worth it in my opinion. One of the things I like about our system are the easy transfers, things like the bus bays at Finch, Eglinton (or many others), or underground streetcar connections like at Spadina station or St Clair West.

That is absolutely the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

Why do you post such ignorant stuff? What's with all this unnecesary anti-Miller trolling? He's by far the best mayor we've had in the last decade.

If the LRT were temporary and to be replaced with subway in the future then it would be like Keele and Woodbine, the LRT station would be above ground.

The Sheppard LRT seriously is not even very much faster than the existing buses. Why anyone would want to build this is beyond me. This proposal was really unpopular and I suspect that Ford was elected largely because of this (I do not like Ford but can see why people might support him). I remember going to the sham public consultation meetings five or six years ago. Everyone at those meetings wanted a subway.

Last edited:
If the LRT were temporary and to be replaced with subway in the future then it would be like Keele and Woodbine, the LRT station would be above ground.

The Sheppard LRT seriously is not even very much faster than the existing buses. Why anyone would want to build this is beyond me. This proposal was really unpopular and I suspect that Ford was elected largely because of this (I do not like Ford but can see why people might support him). I remember going to the sham public consultation meetings five or six years ago. Everyone at those meetings wanted a subway.

Of course everyone there would've wanted a subway, because either A. You get politicians riling up the uninformed public by calling LRT second-class transit, and they don't understand how expensive subway is, B. They're suburban motorists who won't take transit anyway and only care that it gets out of the way of their cars, or C. Both of the above.

The SELRT isn't flawed but of course it'll be faster than buses! Also clean and electric, with a dedicated right-of-way to protect from congestion (even if transit priority is kind of uncertain), and with the capacity for future growth.

Plus, let's face it, once GO REX on the Stouffville line is implemented, plus later on the BD extension hits Sheppard-McCowan, demand for through-run service to Yonge-Sheppard for transfers to points further south will greatly diminish - pushing the demand even further away from subway levels than it already is.

The Sheppard LRT seriously is not even very much faster than the existing buses.
Why do you tell untruths? I can only assume you are deliberately living, because we have discussed this in detail before. The LRT is closer in travel time to the subway than the existing bus!

The scheduled time for the existing bus is 29 minutes from Don Mills Station to McCowan at 5 pm (rush hour). That's 14.5 km/hr. The LRT would move 55% faster at about 22.5 km/hr, and take only 19 minutes. That's a 10 minute savings.

And the existing bus travel time assumes that traffic congestion on Sheppard East will not worsen in the next 20 years. Reality is that it's been forecast to significantly worsen - which was the entire impetus for the Sheppard East line in the first place.

If the subway was 32 km/hr it would take 13 minutes. Only a 6 minutes over the LRT.

Why anyone would want to build this is beyond me
Because it will significantly improve travel times, at much less cost than a subway. I can see some argument to moving the subway/LRT transition to Victoria Park. But the travel demands east of Victoria Park are dreadful. There is no way that subway is justified.

Of course everyone there would've wanted a subway, because either A. You get politicians riling up the uninformed public by calling LRT second-class transit, and they don't understand how expensive subway is, B. They're suburban motorists who won't take transit anyway and only care that it gets out of the way of their cars, or C. Both of the above.
The question is why is it okay to listen to the public on bloor danforth but not on sheppard? Either both should be built or both should not be built. I'll leave you guys to the correct answer.

The question is why is it okay to listen to the public on bloor danforth but not on sheppard? Either both should be built or both should not be built. I'll leave you guys to the correct answer.

That's a false choice you've promoted - listening to the public doesn't mean making the decision as desired by the public. Besides, listening to the public would also suggest they won't want to pay for the lines either.

AoD

That's a false choice you've promoted - listening to the public doesn't mean making the decision as desired by the public. Besides, listening to the public would also suggest they won't want to pay for the lines either.

AoD

When the public votes for you, you should do as they wish. That's part of the the job. This is not just about subways either, the Finch LRT has not faced the criticism of the other LRT's yet Mammoliti is trying to get rid of it. That is against the public interest.

When the public votes for you, you should do as they wish. That's part of the the job. This is not just about subways either, the Finch LRT has not faced the criticism of the other LRT's yet Mammoliti is trying to get rid of it. That is against the public interest.

but people want expensive infrastructure projects without paying for them. try to increase the tax to pay for the subway they want and you will quickly be voted out.

The question is why is it okay to listen to the public on bloor danforth but not on sheppard?
Ridership. The BD at Scarborough Centre would have a peak load of near 10,000/hour. The Sheppard line at McCowan would be closer to 1/5 of that.

Either both should be built or both should not be built.
Surely if a location can barely support 1 subway line, then it get's 0 or 1, not 2.

but people want expensive infrastructure projects without paying for them. try to increase the tax to pay for the subway they want and you will quickly be voted out.
Exactly, which is why neither subway should be built.

Ridership. The BD at Scarborough Centre would have a peak load of near 10,000/hour. The Sheppard line at McCowan would be closer to 1/5 of that.
10,000 is not anything to be bragging about and it will be less then that when Stouffville gets all day service.

Surely if a location can barely support 1 subway line, then it get's 0 or 1, not 2.

It should be zero. Why would you build one when the costs are rising and it might have to be cut back. Then if it ends at STC, what was the point of the exercise?

Exactly, which is why neither subway should be built.

10,000 is not anything to be bragging about and it will be less then that when Stouffville gets all day service.

It should be zero. Why would you build one when the costs are rising and it might have to be cut back. Then if it ends at STC, what was the point of the exercise?

you dont need to convince me. but why ask qustions if you already have your own answers. most people at this point have their minds made up one way or the other unless you are really late to the conversation.

you dont need to convince me. but why ask qustions if you already have your own answers. most people at this point have their minds made up one way or the other unless you are really late to the conversation.

I'm just trying to figure out why people are still support the Bloor Danforth extension even though all the numbers point to it being a bad idea :)

I'm just trying to figure out why people are still support the Bloor Danforth extension even though all the numbers point to it being a bad idea :)

Before I first started paying closer attention to transit, I thought the B-D subway extension to Scarborough was the best idea. When I realized how many transfers there were at Y-B, I realized that the B-D subway does not go downtown - it goes just north of it. Scarborough riders are forced to make a transfer at Y-B. Then my thinking switched to second transfer at Kennedy. Is this transfer needed as well?

I can understand that they do not want to have a second transfer on their downtown trip. If a less expensive way of eliminating this second transfer were proposed, I am sure the overly expensive B-D subway extension would have died.

Instead, the harder the LRT advocates pushed on the forced transfer at Kennedy, the harder the B-D subway extension advocates pushed for a subway extension. Both sides have become so stubborn that they refuse to budge. Support will continue close to 50% for each proposal and we are doomed to have countless more delays and flip-flops.

Back