News   May 03, 2024
 757     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 490     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 246     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

You don't seem to be dead set against the other surface LRT's,
I'm going to say this as someone who's on record for saying that the Scarborough-Malvern LRT (Eglinton East) was one of the good projects in Transit City. When you look at the actual numbers, the project doesn't make any sense what-so-ever. It is going to be a separate line from the Eglinton Line requiring a transfer, cost $3.9 Billion, and according to city staff members, will be slower than the existing RapidTO busses. I know my record is very anti-LRT as a whole, but at some point you just have to look at the numbers and realize its not in any way justified.

Edit: 3.9B not 4.65B

Last edited:
Ugh; as much as I like the aesthetics of the Eglinton East project I am starting to come around on further showcasing improved bus service in the area... 4 billion isn't terrible when you consider that the Cambridge Ion extension is going to be a similar cost, but that speed issue is significant... If we presume that a Sheppard subway extension west of McCowan is going to happen regardless of City support I'm really inclined to think that putting the money toward staged Centennial - UTSC - LSE extensions really would have better value.

The Eglinton East LRT seems to dot he same thing a Sheppard East Subway can do. If the plan is to extend either Bloor or Sheppard east into Durham It would make sense to not do the Eglinton East LRT project.

The Eglinton East LRT seems to dot he same thing a Sheppard East Subway can do. If the plan is to extend either Bloor or Sheppard east into Durham It would make sense to not do the Eglinton East LRT project.
Eglinton East has nothing to do with those. Eglinton East acts as a way to have a major local arterial serving through central Scarborough, it can easily stand on its own as a local line, both by demand and connectivity. In fact, it does extremely well when paired up with the SSE, Sheppard East, DSBRT, and GO Expansion from a system connectivity perspective, with plenty of connections to higher order rapid transit for those who need to travel longer distances, and connections to major destinations such as UTSC that act as major trip generators. This is why I have typically referred to it as one of the good* projects from Transit City, since its very much a corridor that at least on paper justifies the mode. The problem is purely based off numbers, its a good project, but its not a "worth $4B good" project. We aren't getting much out of that $4B that couldn't be better spent elsewhere, all for what's at the end of the day a shiny capacity upgrade.

*good in the sense that its a route where the mode choice and route makes conceptual sense, which can't be said about most of the other Transit City projects.

Eglinton East has nothing to do with those. Eglinton East acts as a way to have a major local arterial serving through central Scarborough, it can easily stand on its own as a local line, both by demand and connectivity. In fact, it does extremely well when paired up with the SSE, Sheppard East, DSBRT, and GO Expansion from a system connectivity perspective, with plenty of connections to higher order rapid transit for those who need to travel longer distances, and connections to major destinations such as UTSC that act as major trip generators. This is why I have typically referred to it as one of the good* projects from Transit City, since its very much a corridor that at least on paper justifies the mode. The problem is purely based off numbers, its a good project, but its not a "worth $4B good" project. We aren't getting much out of that $4B that couldn't be better spent elsewhere, all for what's at the end of the day a shiny capacity upgrade.

*good in the sense that its a route where the mode choice and route makes conceptual sense, which can't be said about most of the other Transit City projects.
I'd also add that even with the multiple branches it's gained the network structure in Scarborough, especially in terms of things branching off Kingston Road is fairly sprawling. Something based on bus enhancement can easily provide significant benefit to all areas and riders... Eglinton East is liable to be a downgrade to folks on the outer ends of routes like the 85, 36 and 38 which are likely to end up with transfers to the LRT at Morningside, or at best not use the LRT ROW to get to their subway connections.

It would be interesting to see a direct business case comparison of Eglinton East vs a Lawrence East LRT, never mind the possibility of Sheppard extensions or a direct comparison of the LRT to enhanced rapid bus service...

1702493944274.jpeg

Don't know if this has been posted before or how recent it is. Looks like Lawrence East station?

Last edited:
I'd also add that even with the multiple branches it's gained the network structure in Scarborough, especially in terms of things branching off Kingston Road is fairly sprawling. Something based on bus enhancement can easily provide significant benefit to all areas and riders... Eglinton East is liable to be a downgrade to folks on the outer ends of routes like the 85, 36 and 38 which are likely to end up with transfers to the LRT at Morningside, or at best not use the LRT ROW to get to their subway connections.

It would be interesting to see a direct business case comparison of Eglinton East vs a Lawrence East LRT, never mind the possibility of Sheppard extensions or a direct comparison of the LRT to enhanced rapid bus service...
I’d take the Lawrence east line.

So, we can see a world that the Sheppard/Bloor extension is built to Pickering, and the Eglintion East LRT is running and is busy enough to warrant it? That's good to know.

So, we can see a world that the Sheppard/Bloor extension is built to Pickering, and the Eglintion East LRT is running and is busy enough to warrant it? That's good to know.
Please tell me, which of these concepts overlap?

As far as I'm concerned none of these lines in any capacity step over each other's toes other than maybe this hypothetical Sheppard East to Pickering and the DSBRT (IE, Not Eglinton East)
1706547877602.png

Attachments

• 1706547775836.png
    1706547775836.png
    931.3 KB · Views: 33
Please tell me, which of these concepts overlap?

As far as I'm concerned none of these lines in any capacity step over each other's toes other than maybe this hypothetical Sheppard East to Pickering and the DSBRT (IE, Not Eglinton East)View attachment 536056
Thank you for laying that out. Now I can see how all do not overlap much, if at all.

where did you find the station renderings. I curious to see the other stations as well
Cover photo of one of the architects working on the project on LinkedIn. I have a few mutual LinkedIn connections that work at Mott Macdonald on the project so their profile came up lol. There are no other renders I could find.

Not sure if this is the best thread for this article by Steve Munro. I can move it if there's a better thread cc @Northern Light

There are lessons here for maintenance practices in general and I cannot help thinking that the recent detailed review of subway track geometry, resulting slow orders and repairs is partly in response to the problems discovered on the SRT.

Back