News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Exactly. And for the faults of a suburban megamall, it's still one stop shopping. Drive or take transit (the latter of which is particularly doable with Line 3 since it's virtually built into the mall), then walk around to individual stores. Sure not as "urban" as the older main street concept, but leaps and bounds better than what things subsequently devolved to: big box power centres. If you're fortunate enough that these monoliths surrounded by asphalt deserts have more than a single store you want to visit then put on the hi-vis vest and sunscreen for your trek. Otherwise hop back in the car.

Not much different then an urban megamall Downtown with the Eaton Centre. A mall in an area that will be surrounded by density. Look at the new Yorkdale and Bayview Village latest development proposals. SCC is an easy template to urbanize and develop for the future.

Not as likely to happen in the 70s. People needed their highway connections. Eglinton/Kennedy is not the easiest place to get to by highway; different story though if a certain expressway was built.

Exactly. Yonge is what it is in density because of the subway, the confidence in building areas north of the subway is just that. Confidence there will be future investment as it progresses north in the future. And it will. There is limited confidence in much of Scarborough and being connected centrally to the subway is the starting point to start turning that around.

Not much different then an urban megamall Downtown with the Eaton Centre. A mall in an area that will be surrounded by density. Look at the new Yorkdale and Bayview Village latest development proposals. SCC is an easy template to urbanize and develop for the future.

Well to an extent. Eaton Centre isn't exactly easy to access by car, and if you choose to you'll be paying for it. It's also split over four levels, and Canada's most visited tourist destination. Can't think of any other malls in the GTA with those qualities. But yeah development around STC will happen. I won't say it's because of SSE vs a Line 3 upgrade, or dare to make a comparison to Eaton Centre, but it's inevitable the sea of parking will urbanize. Scarb Centre has a lot going for it.

Oh yeah gonna add a gripe of mine since we're talking about malls. Why the hell isn't there a Toys'R'Us in around the Eaton Centre, let alone anywhere downtown? People south of Eglinton want toys.

Last edited:
Well to an extent. Eaton Centre isn't exactly easy to access by car, and if you choose to you'll be paying for it. It's also split over four levels, and Canada's most visited tourist destination. Can't think of any other malls in the GTA with those qualities. But yeah development around STC will happen. I won't say it's because of SSE vs a Line 3 upgrade, or dare to make a comparison to Eaton Centre, but it's inevitable the sea of parking will urbanize. Scarb Centre has a lot going for it.

Point was the mall is not the only focus when growing an urban areas as some get overfly focused on when slagging SCC as there is one very similar Downtown. The subway will spur rapid development in the area and he mall owners will likely redevelope similar to what they are about to do at Yorkdale.

Last edited:

Oh yeah gonna add a gripe of mine since we're talking about malls. Why the hell isn't there a Toys'R'Us in around the Eaton Centre, let alone anywhere downtown? People south of Eglinton want toys.

You have churches and a hospital and hotels and an university, all within a couple of blocks of the Eaton Centre. Along with retail NOT associated with the Eaton Centre on the other side of the street.

You have churches and a hospital and hotels and an university, all within a couple of blocks of the Eaton Centre. Along with retail NOT associated with the Eaton Centre on the other side of the street.

Exactly. STC and Eaton Centre are not remotely comparable. Toronto had a thriving downtown core before the Eaton Centre was built. It's not as though they built it in a brownfield and BMO, TD, CIBC, etc. all decided to build nearby.

I hope the Scarborough 'city centre' will urbanize, but it has a long, long way to go. Like the Sheppard Line, a single subway stop isn't going to be the answer.

thanks doug for clearing that up.... dont forget about your subways to markham and pickering too.

A subway extending all the way to Scarborough Town Centre is just about as good as extending one into Markham or Pickering. Is it totally lost on the anti-subway mob's collective brains, that SCC will function as an inter-regional hub? Shuttle express routes from the 905 east and north could funnel tens of thousands of commuters into the Town Centre area on a daily basis. Stop being an obstructionist!

I don't see SCC being a regional hub. It's too far from Pickering and Markham border to justify buses going that far. With RER/GO having more frequent all day service, it would make much more sense to route Markham/Pickering buses to GO stations than to SCC, since SCC to Union or downtown will still take about 30-40 mins.

Lets see what the latest costs of this extension will be and whether Ford will add more stops to it.

Reactions: syn
Management regretted putting a flagship store in Times Square instead of Yonge-Dundas Square (just because Times Square is much busier), not knowing that the potential Yonge-Dundas Square location would survive in the long-term.

Interesting, wasn't aware they put thought into a flagship store downtown. I feel like it would make sense from a business pov, not even as a flagship but just a normal store. The Bay offers some toys, but there seems to be a large void for something of Toys R Us' scale within the core area. Doesn't even have a Mastermind, but that's still no as good. I go to Lawrence/Vic Pk or Yonge/Eglinton, which are pretty far out.

I don't see SCC being a regional hub. It's too far from Pickering and Markham border to justify buses going that far. With RER/GO having more frequent all day service, it would make much more sense to route Markham/Pickering buses to GO stations than to SCC, since SCC to Union or downtown will still take about 30-40 mins.

Lets see what the latest costs of this extension will be and whether Ford will add more stops to it.

This comment displays a total lack of understanding of existing (let alone potential projected) commuter needs and travel patterns, or even the glaring obvious, that SCC is already a functioning GO station.

Routes serving SCC:
Now think if some of the routes currently feeding into Finch GO Terminal today from as close as Unionville, Markville Mall area, Cornell and the historic core of Markham came into SCC instead? Let's face it, there's seemingly limitless ridership growth potential at SCC, enough so to easily eclipse the entirety of the TYSSE that none of y'all armchair critics will dare speak ill of.

"the TYSSE that none of y'all armchair critics will dare speak ill of.

Wanted to jump in on that point. Definitely not true on this board.

Doug Ford campaigned directly on it. He mentioned multiple times through the campaign that hes building the "loop". So I expect design to start within the next 4 years. Inevitably the Sheppard subway was something Rob was targeting even with the agreement with the Province to connect the Crosstown to SCC. The deal agreed upon was to build both the connected LRT to SCC and the Sheppard subway
So there's no formal agreement then and we won't see anything until 2028? I hope something comes up before there.
Don't let that get in the way of a good rant.
Wanted to jump in on that point. Definitely not true on this board.

Vaughan getting a subway started all this, so there's definitely been criticism here.

Last edited:
which is why once this subway extension gets to STC I have no doubt Scarborough will be demanding more subways like the loop OneCity (dougie) keeps going on about... A crappy precedent is set and then people think its their "right" to have subways subways subways...

which is why once this subway extension gets to STC I have no doubt Scarborough will be demanding more subways like the loop OneCity (dougie) keeps going on about... A crappy precedent is set and then people think its their "right" to have subways subways subways...
That was always the plan. Push STC and then softly wire Sheppard East after that. When De Baearemaker and Tory tried to due the progress loop last year that should have told you everything.

But somehow I think if Harris hadn't canceled Sheppard we would not be here...
Point was the mall is not the only focus when growing an urban areas as some get overfly focused on when slagging SCC as there is one very similar Downtown. The subway will spur rapid development in the area and he mall owners will likely redevelope similar to what they are about to do at Yorkdale.

Business taxes are too high for this to happen. At best SCC can hope to be is an urban village with condos a la 7 and Clark in York Region

Last edited:

Back