News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

why? if the cost is reasonable. There isn't much left to tunnel between Downsview and the tail tracks of Sheppard.
The Don River branch is why, to date, the costs have been deemed "unreasonable". And that's before we consider the fact that as long as Downsview Airport remains there is no significant land available to develop (as anything). Finally, with Mammoliti involved there has gotta be an intention to try and spike the Finch West LRT, given his past opposition.
SWext.png

Attachments

• SWext.png
    SWext.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 256
"The people of Scarborough haven't had strong voices at the Queen's Park table"? LOL, somebody please introduce him to that dunce Brad Duguid.

Actions speak louder than words. Smarttrack was a sham that both the Provincal Liberals and moreso Tory have to own. They campaigned strongly on a Scarborough subway and neutered it together. That is not a strong voice.

If this thing is doomed to go ahead, as I suspect it may be, then the Lawrence stop needs to be built - deep mining or not - and Smarttrack killed.

- Paul

If this thing is doomed to go ahead, as I suspect it may be, then the Lawrence stop needs to be built - deep mining or not - and Smarttrack killed.

- Paul

Nixing Smarttrack would allow for partial above ground and a cheap stop at Lawrence. Although I fear the RT shutdown Politics may interfere. Just the removal of Smartrack is savings alone.

On a more serious note - so, all else being equal (nevermind the ride quality of LRT vs. buses), you basically have a plan that generates no savings in travel time (because we need to take into account the whole trip) for a good chunk of the population for how much more money?

AoD
Whoa....back off a bit there, that's too much for some of them to carry on three fingers...dragging the knuckles damages the joints.

Wynne's reply to Brown should be to remind all that her government's commitment is $X to higher order transit in South Scarboro and $Y to higher order transit in Northern Scarboro (Sheppard) and she is sticking to that. (I have forgotten the numbers, and don't need to digress into a debate about what they are)Which draws out Brown on whether he would add to the funding for Line 2 now that the price has risen. Woukd also put Brown on the hot seat as to whether he is adding new money, or taking from one part of Scarborough to benefit another area.

Worst that can happen is, she forces Brown to up his ante, and if he wins he is stuck with that promise.

- Paul

Wynne's reply to Brown should be to remind all that her government's commitment is $X to higher order transit in South Scarboro and $Y to higher order transit in Northern Scarboro (Sheppard) and she is sticking to that. ...Which draws out Brown on whether he would add to the funding for Line 2 now that the price has risen. Would also put Brown on the hot seat as to whether he is adding new money, or taking from one part of Scarborough to benefit another area.

Worst that can happen is, she forces Brown to up his ante, and if he wins he is stuck with that promise.

- Paul
If Wynne wasn't scared of getting caught in the headlights, and she had actual cajones, absolutely, and stand on it. Unfortunately, you'd be talking about someone with a real backbone.

Wynne has folded far too many times to take her gambling and win.

Wynne's reply to Brown should be to remind all that her government's commitment is $X to higher order transit in South Scarboro and $Y to higher order transit in Northern Scarboro (Sheppard) and she is sticking to that. (I have forgotten the numbers, and don't need to digress into a debate about what they are)Which draws out Brown on whether he would add to the funding for Line 2 now that the price has risen. Woukd also put Brown on the hot seat as to whether he is adding new money, or taking from one part of Scarborough to benefit another area.

- Paul

I assume we'll see the proposal to cancel Smartrack and use the Provincial Sheppard LRT funds the SSE is going to Sheppard under Brown and there will be minimal added $$ until Sheppard subway is nearly ready.

Just a hunch that will be the Ford campaign backed by Brown. As Brown seems to imply he is determined to give Scarborough the subway it was promised. The cost of funding Eglinton East is minimal and I would also expect the Provincial Liberals to announce something in the coming weeks for Eglinton East to save some face and counter this type of plan. If Brown says he supports the Eglinton East as well things should move forward as both sides will be similar. If not the wheels will continue to spin and lots of moving parts in the upcoming elections.

Last edited:
View attachment 103187

Its getting built as now the Liberals have to save face after being called out. And Brown just made a clear promise here. It wont be a one-stop when this all shakes out.
Piece of paper. They supported Eglinton and Sheppard East 20 years ago.

"The people of Scarborough haven't had strong voices at the Queen's Park table"? LOL, somebody please introduce him to that dunce Brad Duguid.

I hate to say this, but maybe Scarborough really does deserve it.
I guess so.
Actions speak louder than words. Smarttrack was a sham that both the Provincal Liberals and moreso Tory have to own. They campaigned strongly on a Scarborough subway and neutered it together. That is not a strong voice.
Well that's because Brad prefers sheppard. Once this became the only option he jumped on that.

Nixing Smarttrack would allow for partial above ground and a cheap stop at Lawrence. Although I fear the RT shutdown Politics may interfere. Just the removal of Smartrack is savings alone.
At least enought to finish the Eglinton East.

- Paul
Yup. force him to commit to sheppard east and west, Eglinton West, Square One extension RER. Whole nine yeards!

Last edited:
I thought you preferred that the subway be merged with the Sheppard LRT and converted, but now you're really being unreasonable.

I do prefer that option of migrating the Sheppard subway to LRT by far, just don't see it happening. I have zero interest in seeing the LRT connected to the current stub but would certainly support the subway loop should nothing be done to migrate the Stub to LRT.

It not unreasonable. We all have our preferences and we all have to vote and choose based on what actually on the menu. Something so detailed as converting the stub is way to complicated for Politicians to adopt and also forces them to admit severe failure. We know that's obvious but they wont ever admit it

Last edited:

Back