News   Jul 16, 2024
 255     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Don't worry scarborough will campaign for lrt equally as much and the government will cowardly crumble and give in to their demands in the interest of being fair. Scarborough transit matters.
As mayor Tory tries to get other governments to bail us out, Brad Duguid has already ruled it out. The project is "just a promising idea", he says. It's worth looking at “down the road”.

Brad Duguid says Eglinton East LRT has 'merit', won't get more funds

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...nton-east-lrt-has-merit-won-t-get-more-funds/

As mayor Tory tries to get other governments to bail us out, Brad Duguid has already ruled it out. The project is "just a promising idea", he says. It's worth looking at “down the road”.
ToMjGpjpXMFPshSYGLm.gif

This guy is just part of the reason why we have this mess. He's been pushing for this, and Sheppard, since 2014.
Don't worry scarborough will campaign for lrt equally as much and the government will cowardly crumble and give in to their demands in the interest of being fair. Scarborough transit matters.
Soon enough, even the Sheppard LRT money will be raided to pay for the subway. Scarborough is on track to get absolutely nothing except for one subway station, but I can guarantee that @OneCity will declare victory anyway.

One other thing, this "express subway" stupidity was sold to us with LRT as part of the package, no extra money needed. Who came up with this bogus estimate that was so clearly wrong only 6 months later? Was council mislead? Was there collusion between Tory and city staff in this misrepresentation? It's time to come clean.

I hope Duguid loses his seat.

Some recent polls have the liberals in third place in Scarborough. If this plays out on election day, then the subway will have failed to deliver on it's most important purpose, which is to re-elect shitty Liberal MPs. If so, then the subway is like a product that did not do what the packaging said it would. Taxpayers should demand a full refund for not getting what they paid for.

Last edited:
It really is too bad that transit is used as a way for someone to get elected.

In the last 10-20 years, how many different plans have been released, planned, and then cancelled? This is why the SRT is in the shape it is in. This is why there will only be 1 station. We need to start voting for those who will not bring up a "new" way to do it.

Some recent polls have the liberals in third place in Scarborough. If this plays out on election day, then the subway will have failed to deliver on it's most important purpose, which is to re-elect craven Liberals. In which case the subway is like a product that did not do what the packaging said it would. Taxpayers should demand a full refund for not getting what they paid for.
And then watch the conservatives try to get out it as well. Instead of two subway, there might be zero, all because of the way things are done.

In the last 10-20 years, how many different plans have been released, planned, and then cancelled? This is why the SRT is in the shape it is in. This is why there will only be 1 station. We need to start voting for those who will not bring up a "new" way to do it.
I agree 100% and it's sad. Things need to change. There is no reason why Vancouver has built 2 new lines in the last 15 years and Toronto keeps having delays.

And then watch the conservatives try to get out it as well. Instead of two subway, there might be zero, all because of the way things are done.
I agree 100% and it's sad. Things need to change. There is no reason why Vancouver has built 2 new lines in the last 15 years and Toronto keeps having delays.

The funny thing is, the Skytrain goes through several different cites.

I presume that the "net new riders" includes riders on "SmartTrack" (i.e. Stouffville line) then?
No because the cost per new rider we were discussing a couple of pages ago that I referenced in my post here did not include the cost of the SmartTrack either....it was just the cost of each new rider relative to the cost of the SSE......and now that some are showing that the new rider number is actually a negative that is very troublesome.

If 3 years ago the SRT averaged 34k boardings a day and now the TTC is projecting its >$3B replacement will only achieve 31k boardings a day that is indeed troubling.

TigerMaster, thanks for the links.

I have to say that your interpretation of those data is not correct.

The TTC current ridership document counts all riders that use Line 3 (SRT), i.e. ridersh travelling in either direction. It gives a typical daily ridership of 38,810 (in 2014).

But the first table in the SSE document says that "Subway boardings, Scarborough Centre Station (passengers/day)" is 30,800. That is, they do not count riders going in the opposite direction (disembarking at STC).

In order to make those two numbers comparable, we need to multiply the SSE projection by the factor of 2 (90+ % of riders will take the same route in 2 opposite directions during the day).

Then, we get 61,600 (projection) for SSE versus 38,810 for the existing SRT; a growth of 58%.

Of course, it would make more sense to compare the projection for SSE to the projection for extended SRT, and in that case the diff should be much smaller (the extended SRT might even have a slightly higher ridership).

In any case, the suggestion that SSE is going to cause a decrease in ridership is disproven, even though a few other posters rushed to jeer about it hoping that they found yet another flaw in this project.

Matlow vs. Ford would be epic. Not what I want to see whatsoever but ill have lots of popcorn ready for that shiteshow. An epic fail in polarization.

Precisely.

One desires logic, rationality and intelligence to inform decision-making, and accordingly opposes vote-buying exercises like the SSE, while the other panders, distorts, and plays immature mind games, all to feed the Respect the Suburbs pathology.

I'll let you decide who is who.

Precisely.

One desires logic, rationality and intelligence to inform decision-making, and accordingly opposes vote-buying exercises like the SSE, while the other panders, distorts, and plays immature mind games, all to feed the Respect the Suburbs pathology.

And I'll let you predict which of them will win.

Precisely.

Keep drinking the kool-aid. The guy who cant compromise and continues to try to dictate what gets built in another area against decades of debate and preference all based on one sided "facts". Matlow and his ilk come off knowledgeable to their faithful. But he doesn't represent Scarborough nor does he care to listen or compromise with the intelligent people from Scarborough. Their was an intelligent other side of this debate that had been ignored. So...

After all this time and they are still that determined to dictate what happens in another area, they deserve the Political chaos they've created. This is what has happened as you don't get an extreme Mayor without a good reason.

And these people are so use to controlling the narrative they don't realize they are just making matter worse but not compromising. Even Robby gave them a compromise but they thought they were in denial. Here we are with a middle ground Mayor who squeaked thru and they will run him out and then everyone will act dumbfounded why we have a another polarizing figure supported so greatly.

Its pretty simple.

Last edited:

So if you don't want a new way of doing things, you want the 1 stop subway.
Either Either go back in time and don't make the deal to remove Ford at all costs (and abandon the connected SRT/ECLRT), or we accept the 1 stop subway, or, we find a new way of doing things.

Back