News   Jul 16, 2024
 246     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 368     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I'd argue its long term pain for the rest of the city's if there's no money left over to build a drl for one cities dream

I'd agree if that's how things actually get financed, but they don't. Using that money for SSE *or* as a down payment for DRL is not an option in the table.

No we don't. But I think many have given up even following the thread, and certainly in repeating the same thing over and over again.

The Murray route wasn't technically very good; TTC had major issues with it, and also was never fully costed. I'm sure the price of both the terminal at STC and the Kennedy alterations would have gone way up. It was not considered, because part of the criteria was not shutting down the SRT for several years.
And the of council, people here and taxpayers have huge issues with McCowan (like the fact it costs 3.3 billion).

Last edited:
As long as the person running is promoting transfer LRT they will be recruiting votes for Doug Ford

Unless a candidate comes forth with a seamless option (Similar to Rob Ford EglLRT spur or Murray's subway but as @nfitz points out its wasnt an accurate cost) there is zero chance and even then unstudied napkins plans are not going to be well received.

Im personally torn because by the point we study further those other options will be over $3Billion and another lost decade. Id rather just see them go ahead and leave opportunity to add stops.

Hopefully the City take a hard look at what got them in this situation so this doesnt happen again. There is major fault all around on both extreme sides for decades and this could have been avoided with compromise
If it's run through with Eglinton, it's not a transfer. Let's be 100 percent here: there is a Ford LRT plan and Transit City LRT plan. Ford had it right in this case.

So at what point will we get more accurate pricing estimations for this project. Current estimations could be off by anywhere between -20% and +50%? Will we know before construction begins?

Fun fact: The SRT today moves 39,000 per day. The Scarborough Subway is projected to move 31,000. That's a 21% drop in ridership compared to the SRT

All this expenditure, to lose eight thousand riders.

Anyone care to explain how this subway extension will be so wonderful for the 20% of SRT riders who will be displaced from rapid transit?

And whoever here said the Sheppard East LRT funds will be allocated to the SSE subway extension to Sheppard is likely on to what has been in the works since it got delayed. Will be an Election promise from both sides. Almost guaranteed.
Then I hope NDP gets in and puts money towards the DRL

Fun fact: The SRT today moves 39,000 per day. The Scarborough Subway is projected to move 31,000. That's a 21% drop in ridership compared to the SRT

All this expenditure, to lose eight thousand riders.

Anyone care to explain how this subway extension will be so wonderful for the 20% of SRT riders who will be displaced from rapid transit?
Thats a question for John Tory to answer

Did Toronto pay for Vaughans portion of the extension?

Also Downtown Politicians (and their media friends) are not involved in Vaughans Politics. So Vaughan gets their own voice to grow without extra delay. Scarborough get rejected and has their voice washed out.

Even with the unfortunate matter of the subway of being only one stop. 19 out 20 Politicians support it Scarborough. Why are we still trying to drag this out further? This is not good Politically and people need to understand the reverse effect its having.
19 out of 20 support cause they do not want go against the mayor and probably hope to get plum appointments. The TTC is the only that should decide where subways should be as they are the one who know which routes are the busiest

19 out of 20 support cause they do not want go against the mayor and probably hope to get plum appointments. The TTC is the only that should decide where subways should be as they are the one who know which routes are the busiest
exactly I think the problem is city council think the TTC is the personal model railroad and they can do anything they want with it. It should be the opposite the TTC tell the city what they need to do. It's not like city council says the the fire department or the toronto police you need new police cars and fire trucks so we're going to order them for you.

Back