News   Aug 12, 2024
 569     2 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 569     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

:eek::eek::eek: Why do you hate STC so much! :(:(:(
The city doesn't have the power to do that...

The rest of your post is truly laughable... really
I have good memories of STC from growing up in the area. But it is far from downtown and will always be a transit mess.

Why is the idea of rezoning laughable? Do companies not ever move? What is laughable about closing a piece of transit that is proprietar to a company who can't get its act together?

I have good memories of STC from growing up in the area. But it is far from downtown and will always be a transit mess.

Why is the idea of rezoning laughable? Do companies not ever move? What is laughable about closing a piece of transit that is proprietar to a company who can't get its act together?

You're advocating that we GIVE UP on STC with the business and residents already there. That's irresponsible

That's clearly not an option however one felt about the current scheme around how the subway should be implemented. It's not the if - it's the how.

AoD

You're advocating that we GIVE UP on STC with the business and residents already there. That's irresponsible
When transit city was introduced people in scarborough Said is was a failure because it was more about revitalization than it was transit. Now people are advocating for two subway lines to STC. I'm sorry but that sounds more about revitalization than transit as well. Just in this case the residents approve the Transit choice.

I didn't know it was transits responsibility to prop up areas that people have not been choosing to live. This is why we don't have funds to service exploding areas like liberty village.

When transit city was introduced people in scarborough Said is was a failure because it was more about revitalization than it was transit. Now people are advocating for two subway lines to STC. I'm sorry but that sounds more about revitalization than transit as well. Just in this case the residents approve the Transit choice.

I didn't know it was transits responsibility to prop up areas that people have not been choosing to live. This is why we don't have funds to service exploding areas like liberty village.

I think the focus/pressure should be on how to bring the cost down in the outer core AND building new transit in downtown. BOTH are needed but transit in the outer cores shouldn't be AS expensive as downtown. There lies the insanity in Toronto. Dismissing cut and cover + elevated subways in the outer cores just to buy the peace with NIMBY. The city needs to stop caving to theses groups and local politicians,

Always having to choose one area over the other is exactly how we get populists like Rob Ford to get the outer core votes by bashing "downtown elitists" and making themselves as their "champions"

How about we build for BOTH downtown AND the outer cores while solving the latter's costs? This city is as divided as our fractured rapid transit map and is in serious need of unification so we someday all call ourselves Torontonians instead of this Downtown vs Suburb crap

The easiest solution to me is to make it a rule that we build a km or so of subway a year. Constant building would help alleviate the stress that these funds are limited and therefore we better get it right.

The easiest solution to me is to make it a rule that we build a km or so of subway a year. Constant building would help alleviate the stress that these funds are limited and therefore we better get it right.
Is this 1km spread across the city, or 1km of one part each year? I would assume the latter because spreading out on multiple projects is highly inefficient. What if a project is big, would people complain about building 1km in one area 2 years in a row? That's more efficienct than picking up everything, moving to another part of the city, just to come back 2 years later. This concept of flawed, but it's a good start. At the end, it's about money and how to pay for it (and staying in office).

People are already complaining. What this does is guarantee something is built yearly vs binge construction which sometimes randomly ends before it's supposed to like the Sheppard line

This is essentially the Jane Pitfield platform of the 2006 municipal election against David Miller, only she promised building 2 kilometres of new track per year.

I think the general rule should be that the subway lines should always be under construction. whether it is an extension or a new line, there should always be digging. There is such a transit deficit in the city that this could be done for the next 50 years and still not be enough.

I think the general rule should be that the subway lines should always be under construction. whether it is an extension or a new line, there should always be digging. There is such a transit deficit in the city that this could be done for the next 50 years and still not be enough.

It's hard to believe that more isn't being undertaken as we speak considering the transit-friendly municipal, provincial and federal governments in power at present. You'd think they'd expedite things before a throw-the-bums-out uprising fervents.

It's hard to believe that more isn't being undertaken as we speak considering the transit-friendly municipal, provincial and federal governments in power at present. You'd think they'd expedite things before a throw-the-bums-out uprising fervents.

There is support, even from the opposition but action is never going to be up to what we need it. Therefore..

The worst thing we can do as a City is keep fighting the current plans or try to claim superiority asking to be the "priority" or claiming to be "fact based". A bit of this political garbage might have been OK 50 years ago when much of this should have been built but right now will get us nowhere. Its beyond clear what is a "priority" in the entire City and we are so damn far behind everywhere

With the Feds pony-ing up half we need our Politicians and special interest friends to zip the divisive yapping immediately, just critique the fine details of the plans and keep the designs coming in as quick as possible or we'll end up with very little... Again. And we already know there is much more needed past the plans on the table. We just need to move forward.

Last edited:
This lack of action is why RER is so important. It's a provincial initiative and the province has been taking the lead on every transit file. Even if Toronto had the money to go it alone nothing would be getting built at all. Thank god QP is in charge of RER & GO. I'm to the point of thinking that QP should take over control of the TTC because Toronto has proven itself to be completely incompetent no matter who the mayor or councillors are.

Even if Toronto had the money to go it alone nothing would be getting built at all. Thank god QP is in charge of RER & GO. I'm to the point of thinking that QP should take over control of the TTC because Toronto has proven itself to be completely incompetent no matter who the mayor or councillors are.

Queens Park has cancelled Crosstown West LRT, Finch West LRT (east of Keele), twice delayed the construction of the remainder of the Crosstown LRT and indefinitely delayed (ahem... canceled) the Sheppard East LRT. In the previous round of transit construction, they canceled the Eglinton West Subway and dramatically scaled back the Sheppard Subway. Now with Brown about to be Premier, we're likely going to see dramatic scaling back, or outright cancelations, of GO RER and the LRT projects in the region. Queen's Park has done their fair share of damage to transit expansion in the region.

Back