News   Aug 13, 2024
 116     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 345     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 991     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

From someone who complains that there's a anti Scarborough government you sure are confident all this stuff is going to be built. Scarborough has a history of broken transit dreams and history likes to repeat itself
No. The Eglinton LRT is stil being designed and has been unfunded for some time.

It will be part of an upcoming election and may be what separates Tory from Ford in Scarborough. The Feds will pay half and no matter what happens with the subway cost, id be more shocked if we didn't see this line funded if the subway continues on. This extension has massive support , including many Business, Political and Academic leaders in Scarborough. It may even be the right price vs. support and optics for the broke ass Liberals to throw a bone. Especially with Sheppard Ave. funding sitting in the long term disability line.

For the money from SSE we could build a whole network of LRTs for Scarborough.

SELRT, SLRT, Eglinton East LRT to Malvern, probably even Kingston BRT too.

Or better yet a subway mimicking the SLRT design on the RT corridor and partially build the other lines. The transfer location is non sense and a big part of the reason we are here.

From someone who complains that there's a anti Scarborough government you sure are confident all this stuff is going to be built. Scarborough has a history of broken transit dreams and history likes to repeat itself

Transit is built on Political sentiment. And I don't claim to have a crystal ball but you have to know the climate we're in. This isn't the 80's or 90's. The appetite to do nothing is gone, taxes are going up and it may take longer with the Political games to be played but we are going to see massive infrastructure spending in the next 30 years. This extension is almost as important to Scarborough as the subway IMO.

Transit City was cancelled because of two main reasons. 1. the poorly placed transfers and 2. it left maybe the most critical line unfunded in the SMLRT . So it not only had mixed support around the funded lines it left out far too many in the massive Borough. There was such little support and the Fords took full advantage of this un-reported frustration and capitalized. There is not the same opportunity anymore as the SSE and Eglinton Extension together have huge support out here and not just residents. Politicians, Post secondary Leaders, and many other community leaders are highly supportive.

Pick your favorite type of food and if the Eglinton LRT extension is not built by 2030 I will buy you lunch at the best restaurant of that kind in Scarborough. And you pay if its built and Im very confident because only barring the small chance of a Doug Ford Mayoralty and/or a Patrick Brown Premier paying for the Sheppard and SCC subway loop without Eglinton funded its going ahead. The fear of a Mike Harris reckless slasher is part of what keeps the Liberals in power even with all their expensive games. If Brown gets in he will not make it past 4 years without investment. It will almost certainly be built.

Last edited:
For the money from SSE we could build a whole network of LRTs for Scarborough.

SELRT, SLRT, Eglinton East LRT to Malvern, probably even Kingston BRT too.

Not including the cost of the Missing Link (which would happen regardless of subway or not) you could probably build this for the cost of the subway extension.

WNx7cQL.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S-abqD7EZPwBcT9y3ouYH9gOcXk&usp=sharing

Last edited:
ransit City was cancelled because of two main reasons. 1. the poorly placed transfers and 2. it left maybe the most critical line unfunded in the SMLRT .
You are new here, so I'd suggest reading back in the thread(s) to see why it was cancelled. Because it has nothing to do with the reasons, that you seem to be pulling out of your imagination.

You are new here, so I'd suggest reading back in the thread(s) to see why it was cancelled. Because it has nothing to do with the reasons, that you seem to be pulling out of your imagination.
People believe what they want. One city just suggested there's an appetite to pay for transit . This after the world exploded over the gravy train and tolls

Please give me some Coles notes because im far from new. There is an amazing discussion here and great information being shared but a few posters are veiled in their bias and misguided facts to understand what is going on with out current Politics which will inevitably shape what actually happens. Most of what I read on this forums are non Scarborough Centric opinions and regurgitated Toronto Star and Metroland Political narratives. Certainly you are correct there are many other reasons. But if you want to understand the main reason why Transit City didn't last its because of the funding games of McGuinty and poorly placed transfers which allowed a Polarizing Mayor to capitalize on the frustration of a divided City. Tory and the Province have read the Political tea leaves for gain. And here we are.

People believe what they want. One city just suggested there's an appetite to pay for transit . This after the world exploded over the gravy train and tolls

You are right no one wants to pay for anything, but people are also demanding action more than ever. We are getting hit with reality at this time as the game of Political kick-ball is starting to end . Taxes are coming and this type of infrastructure should be more of a Federal issue than it is, they are slowly stepping up and will have to more. People wont have a choice. Even the SSE was a tax created under the "respect for taxpayer" Mayor and with outside vile. In conjunction with a bit more (albeit not enough) Federal funding, local taxes are coming whether we like them or not.

Last edited:
Can't wait for my lunch.

Hey I have no issues being wrong and I'm a man of my word. If I am wrong just make sure you have a car :) and don't try to take the DVP unless its between 11am and 1pm and check to make sure there is no major bottleneck on Kingston Rd in the Beaches as its back to one lane plus the streetcars at that time. Otherwise the isolation is real.

Or if you want to feel like your in the amazing race jumping into different modes of transit. Take the TTC. Its kinda fun if you have a few hours of your day to waste

Last edited:
How? There is no funding for it. We are nowhere near the point of no return.

This line was really only proposed again so Tory could save support for the Scarborough Subway.

The margin of error for Tory to beat Doug Ford is slim. With SmartTrack fading giving Ford some ammo Tory likely loses or gains massive support in Scarborough based on this line being funded. There are few who oppose the extension from any location of the City, which is why I expect Tory to be all-in as an advocate. Unless he decides to step aside this line is pushing forward full steam.

It truly blows me away that some here believe that Scarborough is only getting a one stop subway and that's it? Believe it or not the odds of that are extremely slim. The only way the Eglinton extension doesn't get built is if the Sheppard subway gets fully funded. Which could very well be in play as the next big election issue decided in Scarborough

Also the Feds and Province both paid for the current design. And although this may hold little weight in the funding of the actual line. They both are fully aware its coming up fast

Last edited:

Back