News   Aug 16, 2024
 175     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 196     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 721     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

+1 million

Yet they will keep fighting. Media, Politicians in subway ridings, special interest groups, Pollsters providing skewed polls.... Even when machines are in the ground they will be out with pitchforks trying to save the City from....

...the start of Unity
As largely an outsider to the Scarborough debate I find it interesting how a line gets built up in York where their is seemingly very little ridership potential, while Scarborough where there is verifiably significant ridership potential hasn't really seen anything high order. I used to not understand because I had always compared the SRT in my mind to the Skytrain but really there is no comparison, the SRT is absolutely brutal.

The YRT subway was wrong too, both of them. Yonge extension is going through the same process as this.

You oppose the SRT corridor for the subway? It would be much better then McCowan.

I don't oppose it at all. It makes more sense but I also understand why they won't use it. They don't want to shutdown the RT for years and stuffing all theses people in buses.

Actually, elevating the subway on McCowan Rd should have been explored.

I don't oppose it at all. It makes more sense but I also understand why they won't use it. They don't want to shutdown the RT for years and stuffing all theses people in buses.

Actually, elevating the subway on McCowan Rd should have been explored.

I wonder how much 24/7 OT a billion or two nets you.

AoD

It can't be argued its orphaned technology....Innovia's are in service in Vancouver, Detroit, New York (JFK AirTrain), Bejing and Seoul.

It's an orphan within the Toronto subway system. That's bad because it increases costs - parts, facilities, maintenance, and so on are a lot more expensive when you can't buy them en masse. Look at the bus system as an example. There are only two buses used - the Orion VII and the NovaBus LFS. There are minor variations within the fleet but the platforms are all one or the other, and each garage only handles a few different buses rather than an assortment of the fleet. Now imagine if the TTC bought 28 VanHool buses from Belgium, and built an entire garage just to service that 1% of the bus fleet. It would be way more expensive on a per-bus basis to service those, since they need unique parts, segregated facilities and unique knowledge from staff. This is also why every TTC subway car has been built by the same company (Hawker Siddeley became UTDC, which became Bombardier Transportation) for more than 50 years.

Should we start referring to the Scarborough subway as the "Duguid Subway"?

Only after the Eglinton subway is called the "Miller Express" and one of the stops is named after the shortest political campaign ever.

Meaning money can speed construction. The good old "fast, good and cheap" - two out of the three adage.

AoD
Speeding up construction has a substantial costs to it. Plus it would be a cost and logistic nightmare for the city and the TTC. If the costs explodes (because this is Toronto) and the project isn't on time, you're screwing a lot of people for at least 2 years with the price difference shrinking rapidly. That's why you and I aren't in politics, no sane politician would even entertain the idea of doing that

The Yonge extension actually has a lot of ridership to support it. The Steeles - Highway 7 segment on its own would have more ridership than the entire Sheppard - Downtown "long" Relief Line.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...ts_Case-Yonge_North_Subway_Extension_2013.pdf
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20150625/2015-06-25_Yonge_Relief_Network_Study.pdf

I'm of the very firm opinion that line should end at Steeles.

People in Montreal are now joking that the only way they can use the Metro is buy moving to Laval. The service is pure crap once the trains enters Montreal Island from Laval and short-turning trains doesn't provide any relief. The idea of thinking that copying Montreal is a good idea is incomprehensible to me

GO RER, LRT to Vaughan subway or DRL Long to Richmond Hill makes more sense. Yonge cannot take anymore of this

Speeding up construction has a substantial costs to it. Plus it would be a cost and logistic nightmare for the city and the TTC. If the costs explodes (because this is Toronto) and the project isn't on time, you're screwing a lot of people for at least 2 years with the price difference shrinking rapidly. That's why you and I aren't in politics, no sane politician would even entertain the idea of doing that

More substantial than a 2B premium? I mean, are we so afraid of inconveniences and fearful of mismanaging a project that is for crying out loud, not at all surprising from a geotechnical perspective on a pre-existing alignment that we are willing to pay double for an inferior and unknown solution? You are right though, that's why we are still *planning* this sucker at this point, and we don't even know what the chosen route (much less what the price of the chosen route is), nevermind the woodlot protest and the big bend jokes. Again, self-interest at work.

AoD

Last edited:
GO RER, LRT to Vaughan subway or DRL Long to Richmond Hill makes more sense. Yonge cannot take anymore of this

Why? Don Mills/Leslie would be useless. The long Relief Line's ridership is already barely above LRT capacity. You're not going to find many new users by extending it to Seneca College and the industrial areas along the 404.

Those are people we're talking about, low wages people for the most part. As for the costs, I keep saying elevating the subway would be better and that city hall needs to get over themselves on elevated subways

Did anyone actually consider bus only lanes, other traffic management schemes and reorganizing bus routes in the interim? Throwing me "low wage people" as a justification and stop at that is not vigourous.

AoD

Why? Don Mills/Leslie would be useless. The long Relief Line's ridership is already barely above LRT capacity. You're not going to find many new users by extending it to Seneca College and the industrial areas along the 404.
I agree. GO RER is all Richmond Hill needs. I don't buy their "subway or nothing approach"

Did anyone actually consider bus only lanes, other traffic management schemes and organizing bus routes in the interim? Throwing me "low wage people" as a justification and stop at that is not vigourous.

AoD
You know full well that it would never be comparable to the SRT, not even close...and all you need is 1 jackass blocking the lanes to screw up the whole bus line as we witness constantly throughout the city

Back