News   Jul 16, 2024
 576     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 551     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 686     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

is dumb track even a sure thing or does it die if Torry doesn't get reelected?

(For better or worse) I think it's a sure thing at the current pace unless a significant technical/political roadblock comes out of the EA like massive land expropriations being necessary.

EA will be completed by end of this year without much effort. That gives Infrastructure Ontario an entire 18 month period (June 14th, 2018 for next Provincial election) to get a design + build (+ operate?) tender assembled and approved; it took them a year for the much more complex Eglinton.

Wynne has a pretty hard deadline to get firm contracts assembled if she wants to have any hope of another majority.

The only obvious kink is it would need to be tendered long before the 2019 electrification test on Lake Shore.

Last edited:
scarbtransit.jpg

Half a million for expropriating a house is nothing when you're spending $2.5 billion on a subway. If you could save a billion dollars by not tunnelling, the breakeven point would be 2000 houses.

As NFitz mentioned tunnels themselves are cheap. Deep stations are really expensive.

The entire cost of tunnelling Eglinton was $320M (first contract) + $177M (second contract) + $50M (4 TBMs). This was a larger bore moving more dirt at a slower pace and much longer than SCC extension.

Subway envy is not a suitable justification for spending an extra billion dollars on something. A SmartTrack spur would accomplish the exact same thing, and actually get people downtown faster than the subway ever could. And it would be about a billion dollars less expensive.

PS: York Region is only getting 1 subway, and they're paying for it north of Steeles.

Indeed, we are paying for it (speaking as a resident of YR).

I can understand the general criticism aimed at this subway extension. Looking at this particular subway line in isolation, I agree it doesn't make sense. However when looking at the larger transit picture it is easier to like it (though I admit still far from perfect). On the viva next website they have their own transit vision laid out for York Region. It consists of major transit hubs at Vaughn City Centre (where this extension will go), Richmond Hill City Centre (where the potential Yonge subway extension will go), and Unionville GO which will be in the heart of downtown Markham and will also be on the smart track line. Linking all three of these hubs will be the dedicated bus lane on hwy 7.

vivaNext_RouteMap_web_2016_01_05.jpg

That wasnt a separate proposal on its own if I recall. I think it was brought up as an possible option to operate the line. You were close though!

That was the plan that Ford and McGuinty agreed to and was "in effect" for quite a while.

Sorry for the OT post above. Back on topic. I'm not a Scarborough/Toronto resident, so I like to *think* I am looking at this neutrally. And IMO I think this latest proposal is quite good. It would be much much better with a stop at Lawrence. With that said, it links STC to the Bloor-Danforth line and it also provides LRT to many under served neighbourhoods. Here is hoping they can get all this done including Sheppard (either finish the subway or convert it to LRT).

Here is the article from The Star. Didn't see it posted earlier:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...orough-subway-plan-eliminates-2-stations.html

A one-stop extension with a 6-km long tunnel will not fly. Note that the map shown is not the official plan; it could be one of early drafts that the media obtained, and not the plan that will be officially presented.

However, if they retain the Lawrence East stop, and only chop the section from STC to Sheppard, then the scheme becomes sensible.

Although a subway connection across Hwy 401 would be very useful to reduce the access time for buses coming from the north, trading it for the Eglinton - Kingston - UofT Scarborough light rail line may bring even greater benefits.

Why don't they use the current GO/SRT corridor {there is lots of space} and continue the Danforth north to the Hydro corridor/greenway and then follow it NE to McCowan and then tunnel {as elevation is not an option along that section of McCowan} north to STC?

It would be a much faster to construct and cheaper as they are at grade on GO and then can drench thru the Hydro corridor and then tunnel. It would also save a lot of construction mayhem along McCowan/Eglinton and drenching it as hell of a lot cheaper. They could easily save %500 million and get it done a lot faster with less disruption. Seeing TOD is not an issue due to no inbetween stations they might as well use existing corridors.

Why don't they use the current GO/SRT corridor {there is lots of space} and continue the Danforth north to the Hydro corridor/greenway and then follow it NE to McCowan and then tunnel {as elevation is not an option along that section of McCowan} north to STC?

This is an interesting option, but one issue is the position of the existing Kennedy Stn platforms. In order to utilize those corridors, they will have to either abandon the existing station and build a new one positioned north to south, or make a very sharp turn north.

Is a Smart Track / GO RER Spur to Scarborough Town Centre even possible? I don't see how an Isolated GO spur could be integrated into the network, it would be very odd. I'm not aware of any other GO Train Stubs like that.

It can be done if you read this publication. http://rrr.transport-action.ca/PDF/GTHARRR-7.pdf
Not only can it be done, it can also be extended into Boxgrove and Locust Hill neighborhoods of Markham

It is unfortunate that the subway extension would skip Scarborough General Hospital. Perhaps it could be roughed-in once there are enough funds and demand for it.

There many be a station there in the near future. I don't Tory's current proposal is final yet.
There may be many more small changes in the near future. The way I see now, it is his opportunity to by peace with some at City hall who were opposed to the subway.

Last edited:
For the most part I think the new transit plan is an improvement, but one thing I can't quite get over is the absurd distance from Kennedy to Scarborough Centre that will not have any stations in between. So instead of having the subway follow the roads, why not at least have it take the shortest possible route to Scarborough Centre? It might even save enough money on tunnelling costs to put a station at Lawrence & Brimley.

Screen shot 2016-01-21 at 2.24.28 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-01-21 at 2.24.28 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-01-21 at 2.24.28 AM.png
    338.2 KB · Views: 705

Back