News   Jul 16, 2024
 473     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 657     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Are you capable of having a discussion here without all your deeply partisan diatribe against the left and the media? Despite your high number of posts today, I'm unable to understand what your position is on today's proposal (except that you like the Crosstown extension). Other than that, do you believe that the one-stop subway extension is superior to the original light rail replacement for the SRT?

Are you capable of having a discussion here without all your deeply partisan diatribe against the left and the media?

Can we have a debate without having to chose from either of two damaging Polarizing political views? The City's Left is not very helpful to Scarborough's growth in general including transit interests, The City's Right doesn't help anyone in the City in terms of Transit growth. And yes as a Scarborough resident I have a problem with the narrative & slant that comes out of the Left owned media in this City.

I'm unable to understand what your position is on today's proposal (except that you like the Crosstown extension). Other than that, do you believe that the one-stop subway extension is superior to the original light rail replacement for the SRT?

I like the plan much better than the alternates but like all the others it has it's flaws. I don't like to look at one line at a time. I prefer to look at the whole package.

-SMLRT is great
-The SSE with a Lawrence stop added would be great.
-Sheppard Stubway should be converted to LRT but is certainly more palatable with a broader local network loop.

Overall it could be great compromise. Although as I mentioned there are still concerns & concerns from other opposing view camps as well. But if this was what was FULLY funded Get it done ASAP

Last edited:
Too bad SmartTrack won't have TTC fares. So it's not the same thing.

Didn't read John Tory's election literature, I see. See link.

• The SmartTrack line will have the same fares as regular TTC rides.
• The SmartTrack line will have integrated faring with TTC. No new fares will be needed at
interchange points with the TTC network of busses and rapid transit.

BTW. I didn't vote for Tory, but I did read his mailings. But, still better than Ford.

Never been on the Yonge subway north of Bloor & south of Eglinton, nor on the Spadina north of Eglinton & south of Wilson, I see.
Never been on Danforth Road or McCowan, I see. Where do you put the trench? Which side of the street do you expropriate the houses?

upload_2016-1-20_19-19-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-20_19-19-33.png
    upload_2016-1-20_19-19-33.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 498
In the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's, they actually expropriated the land for the Yonge subway and Bloor subway, where it didn't go under the street. With the low density in Scarborough, should be cheaper land.

pictures-r-2149.jpg

They'll probably tunnel instead.

Now that we may have a decent "plan" lets see if they can actually build it all or they are just trolling the poorer areas of Scarborough again only to cut funding thru-out the project.
They already have. The SM-LRT stops short of Malvern.

At least the SM-LRT is being built at all. Extension to Malvern can com in at a later phase I suppose.

Alternatively, we can cancel the Subway Extension, and route SmartTrack through to STC and even northeast to Malvern and Seaton. Would probably still be cheaper than the one-stop subway extension.

They should at least build roughed-in stations boxes with level sections of tunnel at "future" station locations.

The subway line should also feed passengers to Scarborough Town Centre. If you are at Lawrence, how do you get to STC (3 legs, 2 transfers)?

If TTC was smart, it would seek a capital contribution from the owners of Scarborough Town Centre Mall for that station, and used the saved money to build at least a bare bones station at Lawrence.

They should at least build roughed-in stations boxes with level sections of tunnel at "future" station locations.
Why? For Eglinton, they simply are putting in headwalls at the station locations, and tunelling through them. When they build the station box, they excavate down the the tunnel, and remove the piece of it in the station.

Surely, at most you just need headwalls, not the box. And you don't even need those really - it just makes it easier to build the station. All you really need is to make sure you've got a suitable straight flat place. Which yes, they should do.

I like the plan much better than the alternates but like all the others it has it's flaws. I don't like to look at one line at a time. I prefer to look at the whole package.

-SMLRT is great
-The SSE with a Lawrence stop added would be great.
-Sheppard Stubway should be converted to LRT but is certainly more palatable with a broader local network loop.

Overall it could be great compromise. Although as I mentioned there are still concerns & concerns from other opposing view camps as well. But if this was what was FULLY funded Get it done ASAP

Thanks for the clarification.

In the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's, they actually expropriated the land for the Yonge subway and Bloor subway, where it didn't go under the street. With the low density in Scarborough, should be cheaper land.

pictures-r-2149.jpg

They'll probably tunnel instead.

Houses were a dime a dozen in those days. Today it's at least half a million per house in Scarborough, so costs would add up real quick if you try to expropriate. And besides, I thought transit is supposed to improve the area, not destroy it. Of course tunnelling in low density areas is expensive, but the subway never made much sense in the first place.

Last edited:
Houses were a dime a dozen in those days. Today it's at least half a million per house in Scarborough, so costs would add up real quick if you try to expropriate. And besides, I thought transit is supposed to improve the area, not destroy it. Of course tunnelling in low density areas is expensive, but the subway never made much sense in the first place.
Half a million for expropriating a house is nothing when you're spending $2.5 billion on a subway. If you could save a billion dollars by not tunnelling, the breakeven point would be 2000 houses.

Half a million for expropriating a house is nothing when you're spending $2.5 billion on a subway. If you could save a billion dollars by not tunnelling, the breakeven point would be 2000 houses.
Can't wait for tomorrow's headline ...

upload_2016-1-20_21-40-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-20_21-40-26.png
    upload_2016-1-20_21-40-26.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 600
With no intermediate stations to build, I'd have thought deep tunnel would have been cheaper - was only about $40 million per kilometre along Eglinton. It's the stations that make it more expensive - but they've solved that problem! And the tunnel can daylight just before Scarborough Centre, and remain relatively shallow.

Back