News   Jul 16, 2024
 355     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 510     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 631     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I don't follow your logic. Today's announcement does not kill the subway. It seems that they are so determined to keep it alive that now they want to shorten the line and remove all but one station so that it's more affordable, and so that Smart Track doesn't steal ridership from the subway.

Can't wait to see what Glen De Dumbaker has to say about all this.

Agreed. Left wing LRT fanatics need to settle down with this return of Transit City non-sense. Tory is smarter than this. These far left wing nuts dont realize they are opening the door to another polarizing Mayor if they dont simmer down. I dont think they even get it

It's going to be fun to see how much Scarborough enjoys the Crosstown, particularly when it gets to UTSC. Transit users will be all, "Why'd we want a subway, again? These trains are GREAT!"

Apples and Oranges. The crosstown to UTSC is great and serves a COMPLETE separate purpose than a subway extension to STC. The SMLRT is part of a local transit loop. The subway integrates Scarborough on Toronto's main backbone and includes Scarborough's core from an optics standpoint for future investment purposed to a MASSIVE area that has been butchered Politically for years.

Trying to remove one plan by adding another. Isnt going to fly. But keep hope alive I dont see the same announcement today than mant here & the left media seem to have seen?

The subway is and will be built

It's going to be fun to see how much Scarborough enjoys the Crosstown, particularly when it gets to UTSC. Transit users will be all, "Why'd we want a subway, again? These trains are GREAT!"

Back when I commuted in Scarborough, the one thing I wanted was the SMLRT. I am very happy about this development.

Anyone else feel like they're using the same playbook they just used with the Eglinton West SmartTrack spur to kill it? By that I mean propose a "modification" (or a price tag) that's so ridiculous that it justfies throwing the entire plan out in favour of something else? I kinda get that feeling. It's much harder to kill a semi-justifiable Scarborough Subway than it is to kill a completely unjustifiable one. They just made it an unjustifiable one.

Perhaps.
1. Make SSE unviable with ridiculous modification
2. Get public and Council to rally behind LRT plan
3. Kill subway because it makes no sense?

Even before it gets there, I'm thinking that the pitch to people in south and east Scarboro may be something like, "You know, even if they build that subway, it's gonna be waaaaay across on the other side of McCowan, and you will still be getting on at Kennedy anyways....but this LRT will come right by your door.....do you really think the Subway boosters are doing you any good? Who really loves you?"

The silence about anything remotely connected to Sheppard has to mean something, too.

- Paul

Perhaps.
1. Make SSE unviable with ridiculous modification
2. Get public and Council to rally behind LRT plan
3. Kill subway because it makes no sense?

I get the idea. But don't see it happening Poltically & I take that only as the Left's interpretation of today announcement & their dream. Fully agree with you that the SMLRT comment It's one of the most vital lines In my opinion because its runs East to West right thru the middle & hits some key areas in desperate need of a face lift.

I get the idea. But don't see it happening Poltically & I take that only as the Left's interpretation of today announcement & their dream. Fully agree with you that the SMLRT comment It's one of the most vital lines In my opinion because its runs East to West right thru the middle & hits some key areas in desperate need of a face lift.

Seriously, stop with the Left crap. Just stop.

Even before it gets there, I'm thinking that the pitch to people in south and east Scarboro may be something like, "You know, even if they build that subway, it's gonna be waaaaay across on the other side of McCowan, and you will still be getting on at Kennedy anyways....but this LRT will come right by your door.....do you really think the Subway boosters are doing you any good? Who really loves you?"

The silence about anything remotely connected to Sheppard has to mean something, too.

- Paul

Awww Seriously.

You dont need to convince anyone in the East & South East. They are happy to receive the SMLRT. But dont begin to think this line replaces the subway & fixes the poorly designed LRT mess along Sheppard. The support for subway will still be VERY strong.

Once & if Sheppard is integrated you'll likely see enough support loosen withing Scarborough to wrangle away the subway. Until then Im not sure you've got the support you're hoping for

Can anyone honestly tell me how many proposals we have had for Scarborough in the past 10-20 years? This is just part of the revolving door of plans that Scarborough will probably never see *until* the Scarborough RT finally crumbles to deterioration and we're forced to take action.

Let's take a look back at the plans for Scarborough, please feel free to add any I missed out of some:

1)One City (Stinz and Glenn)
2)Scarborough LRT- Transit City (Miller)
3) Scarborough Subway Extension with RT routing (Ford)
4) Scarborough Subway Extension (3-Stops-Tory)
5) Scarborough Subway Extension (1 stop) + Malvern LRT (Tory)
6) Scarborough RT Upgrade to Mark 3 (Lastman Era)
7) Smarttrack

I'm not optimistic about this latest plan at all.

Seriously, stop with the Left crap. Just stop.

Left or Right it's all crap & it's the reason we have such a mess. If you choose to ignore it or choose to pick a side, then you refuse to see the cause of the City's problems or help be a solution. Hopefully Tory can wiggles thru this mess,

I have no use for either side. Tory seems to working a compromise yet a hear alot of Lefties today shouting that transit City is revived. Gimme a break. Wake up people.

The Left media is too much for Scarborough. So no I wont be giving it a break

Can anyone honestly tell me how many proposals we have had for Scarborough in the past 10-20 years? This is just part of the revolving door of plans that Scarborough will probably never see *until* the Scarborough RT finally crumbles to deterioration and we're forced to take action.

Let's take a look back at the plans for Scarborough, please feel free to add any I missed out of some:

1)One City (Stinz and Glenn)
2)Scarborough LRT- Transit City (Miller)
3) Scarborough Subway Extension with RT routing (Ford)
4) Scarborough Subway Extension (3-Stops-Tory)
5) Scarborough Subway Extension (1 stop) + Malvern LRT (Tory)
6) Scarborough RT Upgrade to Mark 3 (Lastman Era)
7) Smarttrack

I'm not optimistic about this latest plan at all.

8) Underground Eglinton LRT interlined with the Scarborough LRT

QUOTE="coffey1, post: 1073155, member: 3750"] I take that only as the Left's interpretation of today announcement & their dream. [/QUOTE]

*sigh* You're really determined to make this into we versus they and bash people, aren't you?

For the record, if you are in favour of building a larger public infrastructure funded from borrowing or from new taxes, and of piling this debt on top of the last decades' deficits. as opposed spending only from within a modest and disciplined tax revenue stream ......you are a leftist.

Considering that debt is the funding source underneath all these alternatives, we're all walking like ducks and talking like ducks here.

- Paul

Left or Right it's all crap & it's the reason we have such a mess. If you choose to ignore it or choose to pick a side, then you refuse to see the cause of the City's problems or help be a solution. Hopefully Tory can wiggles thru this mess,

I have no use for either side. Tory seems to working a compromise yet a hear alot of Lefties today shouting that transit City is revived. Gimme a break. Wake up people.

The Left media is too much for Scarborough. So no I wont be giving it a break

You just spent an entire post wriggling around, pretending to be reasonable, to get back to calling the media and reasonable people Lefties. Try to not label people - does you argument fall apart? Yes? Then maybe it's not them, it's you.

You seem to actually like this plan. Why let the Left take credit, then?

Tory's SmartTrack is too close to the planned Scarborough Subway extension. In fact, SmartTrack would be using the right-of-way of the current SRT, but does not come to the Scarborough Town Centre. To compensate, the 2 Bloor-Danforth subway will be extended one station to serve the Scarborough Town Centre. In addition, to provide better rapid transit service, the Crosstown LRT will be extended further into Scarborough, to the Malvern Town Centre.

Did I understand that right?

Back