News   Jul 16, 2024
 309     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 615     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Is a Smart Track / GO RER Spur to Scarborough Town Centre even possible? I don't see how an Isolated GO spur could be integrated into the network, it would be very odd. I'm not aware of any other GO Train Stubs like that.
Probably not.

Though schematically it's not that different than Metrolinx's proposed GO Train spur to Square One.

Subway envy is not a suitable justification for spending an extra billion dollars on something. A SmartTrack spur would accomplish the exact same thing, and actually get people downtown faster than the subway ever could. And it would be about a billion dollars less expensive.

PS: York Region is only getting 1 subway, and they're paying for it north of Steeles.

Agreeing to the Smarttrack spur basically concedes to the leftist that strong hold this City to build there poorly designed LRT line on Sheppard. Until that's fixed forget it. We'll continue to carry on with our subway envy of the "Elite" areas of the City. Until they give us a fully respectful plan.

P.S. Boy is York region stupid. Think of all the LRT they could build to there suburban mansions. Oh wait they want properly invest to attract people & business. Toronto wants to scare people from their suburbs.

Is a Smart Track / GO RER Spur to Scarborough Town Centre even possible? I don't see how an Isolated GO spur could be integrated into the network, it would be very odd. I'm not aware of any other GO Train Stubs like that.

It doesn't matter if it's possible. We can explore it for another 10 years & then try a new plan. We can never be too sure. Study study study

Agreed. I'm ROTFL as Tory keeps reviving more and more pieces of Transit City - only demonstrating the sheer genius and superiority of David Miller - the best mayor in the history of amalgamated Toronto!

OK. Alteast Ford made me laugh. Otherwise they are all blowhards working for their own self interests. Tory seems to be attempting to play the middle of this poltiical polarizing insanity & if successful he will go down as the best Mayor in this City's history. If he leans to hard to either side he's toast.

So far I think he's got a plan. I'll wait a couple years to judge

I think it is. It would be similar in design to the UPX spur. The simplest service pattern would be that SmartTrack branches off from the Stouffville line just after Ellesmere, and GO RER continues to Markham.

Agreeing to the Smarttrack spur basically concedes to the leftist that strong hold this City to build there poorly designed LRT line on Sheppard. Until that's fixed forget it. We'll continue to carry on with our subway envy of the "Elite" areas of the City. Until they give us a fully respectful plan.

P.S. Boy is York region stupid. Think of all the LRT they could build to there suburban mansions. Oh wait they want properly invest to attract people & business. Toronto wants to scare people from their suburbs.

Huh? How does a SmartTrack spur have anything to do with Sheppard? Oh wait, it doesn't. And I never said York Region was smart for wanting a subway extension to Vaughan, I just said that they're paying for it.

Honestly, if I was given the choice between an RER-based plan that would get me downtown in 20 mins vs a subway-based plan that would get me downtown in 40, I would take the RER-based plan every day of the week. To want a subway just because "it's a subway" and "those elites have it" is pretty sad IMO.

The revenge of Transit City...

9cauwTk.png

I think it is. It would be similar in design to the UPX spur. The simplest service pattern would be that SmartTrack branches off from the Stouffville line just after Ellesmere, and GO RER continues to Markham.

How about salvaging a little of the SRT and having a Detroit-style "people mover" from Ellesmere ST to STC and maybe extended east to Centennial College? With that, ST could have the entire downtown ridership, and the subway isn't needed at all.

Either the agenda is to get people to roll their eyes and say "in that case, you might as well build the whole subway" (as I initially did), or the ridership studies pointed to the Malvern LRT ridership as something that ST would never, ever, ever capture....and that part of Scarboro has leverage somehow, and the subway is being positioned to highlight its extravagance, so it can be killed.

- Paul

Honestly, if I was given the choice between an RER-based plan that would get me downtown in 20 mins vs a subway-based plan that would get me downtown in 40, I would take the RER-based plan every day of the week. To want a subway just because "it's a subway" and "those elites have it" is pretty sad IMO.

I don't at all doubt that with two side-by-side services (one subway, the other RER) that RER would get a sizable portion of riders. But I believe that +75% would still opt for the slower subway. The reason for this is the cost of the fare. By its very nature GO / RER commuter rail will be more of a premium service. In this economy, especially in neighbourhoods composed of residents with less disposable income, I think the majority of transit users would prefer a more cost-effective (but slower) trip vs a pricier (but faster) one.

I guess we don't know how RER will look or be priced, but even with solid regional fare integration I can't imagine it costing anything less than 1.5-2x the price of a subway trip with the same origin/destination.

Anyone else feel like they're using the same playbook they just used with the Eglinton West SmartTrack spur to kill it? By that I mean propose a "modification" (or a price tag) that's so ridiculous that it justifies throwing the entire plan out in favour of something else? I kinda get that feeling. It's much harder to kill a semi-justifiable Scarborough Subway than it is to kill a completely unjustifiable one. They just made it an unjustifiable one.

I don't follow your logic. Today's announcement does not kill the subway. It seems that they are so determined to keep it alive that now they want to shorten the line and remove all but one station so that it's more affordable, and so that Smart Track doesn't steal ridership from the subway.

Can't wait to see what Glen De Dumbaker has to say about all this.

View attachment 64488

If I had Twitter. Id send back a picture back this Anti Scarborough writer. Rise from the Gravveeeey train lol

It's going to be fun to see how much Scarborough enjoys the Crosstown, particularly when it gets to UTSC. Transit users will be all, "Why'd we want a subway, again? These trains are GREAT!"

Back