News   Jul 16, 2024
 321     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 500     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 621     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

They are finding anyway to try and justify Smart Track.

Exactly... Not sure the province is pleased by all of this and neither should Scarborough residents. They should use the savings from the Eastern part of ST to secure the subway to Sheppard Avenue East which makes way more sense as a terminal station by crossing the 401.

I really doubt this will fly at City Council and I expect a major push back from the province. The city opting out meant a "Province" extension to Scarborough Town Center including a stop at Lawrence East. Politically, the Liberals along with local councillors will deem it unacceptable and I could see the province going to the Feds for the missing funds and/or taking over that file completely. They won't tolerate another flip flop nor should they for another mayor meddling in transit projects...again.

I imagine this would settle the developers' lawsuit, since the development charges driven by the subway would be lower. The developers only saw potential for development at STC, and not at the other stops anyways.....so it's a lower levy on the same development base.

- Paul

Lol wat? $2.5 billion for a single stop. Ouch.

I do like the Scarborough-Malvern LRT being put back on the table. That shit was approved by the city and the province back 8 years ago. It's shovel ready.
Curiouser and curiouser. I'm more than a little baffled by this situation. That is a very expensive and long subway run. If we can only afford 1 stop of subway, why not go back to the original LRT plan anyway? Would we even be able to get rid of the SRT with this plan?

Curiouser and curiouser. I'm more than a little baffled by this situation. That is a very expensive and long subway run. If we can only afford 1 stop of subway, why not go back to the original LRT plan anyway? Would we even be able to get rid of the SRT with this plan?

Political necessity? I'm guessing he knows the LRT is more sensible but also knows he can't be the Mayor Who Stole Scarborough's Subway. It may be one of those compromises that doesn't make anyone happy but he's trying to have his cake and eat it too which, in this climate, is maybe the best one can hope for.

Exactly... Not sure the province is pleased by all of this and neither should Scarborough residents. They should use the savings from the Eastern part of ST to secure the subway to Sheppard Avenue East which makes way more sense as a terminal station by crossing the 401.

I really doubt this will fly at City Council and I expect a major push back from the province. The city opting out meant a "Province" extension to Scarborough Town Center including a stop at Lawrence East. Politically, the Liberals along with local councillors will deem it unacceptable and I could see the province going to the Feds for the missing funds and/or taking over that file completely. They won't tolerate another flip flop nor should they for another mayor meddling in transit projects...again.

Of course, that's assuming the province hasn't been privy to all this. Based on what happened with SmartTrack last week, I think it's reasonable to guess Metrolinx has been right in the mix the whole time.

Overall, it seems like a reasonable idea (the cost for one stop, not so much; getting a subway AND LRT for Scarborough, moreso) but either way, we can look forward to another terrible "debate" at City Hall. Tory's going to have to spin all this as compromise and doing the right thing when presented with the facts (which I think is the case) but he really dug himself his own hole on it first. He can fend off Rob Ford, who'll no doubt rant about the disrespect to Scarborough etc., but there will be other people throwing at Tory that he said "let's just get on with it, already," demanding he explain to Scarborough residents why they don't deserve a subway etc.

On paper, it's progress. The reality of approving all this will probably be pretty ugly.

CZL7v5XUAAEynFF.jpg

Notice that the Sheppard E LRT is officially dead ("Rapid Transit - to be determined" along Sheppard E)

On the contrary...Just like the phoenix...Sheppard Subway might raise from it's ashes to connect to STC

Just when I knew I thought what the next 10 years of transit in Toronto looked like this week happened. We have to keep in mind that the Sheppard East LRT is joint-funded between the Feds and the Province, and currently the Feds want shovel-ready projects to start to boost the economy. We could very well (or maybe I'm completely off the mark) see Sheppard LRT construction, and sooner than 2021. But of course there is the question of how Sheppard East will connect to Line 2 and the new Line 5 extension to UTSC.

A 6-km subway extension, underneath the Scarborough Hospital at Lawrence & McCowan, with no stop?

Perhaps the city really does hate Scarborough!

On the bright side, suddenly the Transit City Scarborough-Malvern LRT is back on the table.

They have to put the stop at Lawrence. But I think this is just to get the go ahead for both plans without Matlow & Glenn D B getting their narrow minded heads & panties in a knot. Eglinton would certainly no longer be required, a Sheppard stop is not that necessary if there is a broader LRT network.

But there is NO WAY they could build this without the stop on Lawrence.

If they did build the Subway without a Lawrence stop & rammed an LRT along Sheppard without converting the stubway. I would have to agree the hate & disrespect for Scarborough is real

Anyone else feel like they're using the same playbook they just used with the Eglinton West SmartTrack spur to kill it? By that I mean propose a "modification" (or a price tag) that's so ridiculous that it justfies throwing the entire plan out in favour of something else? I kinda get that feeling. It's much harder to kill a semi-justifiable Scarborough Subway than it is to kill a completely unjustifiable one. They just made it an unjustifiable one.

Anyone else feel like they're using the same playbook they just used with the Eglinton West SmartTrack spur to kill it? By that I mean propose a "modification" (or a price tag) that's so ridiculous that it justfies throwing the entire plan out in favour of something else? I kinda get that feeling. It's much harder to kill a semi-justifiable Scarborough Subway than it is to kill a completely unjustifiable one. They just made it an unjustifiable one.

That's the most plausible.

Instead of committing funds to Smarttrack East:
- redirect the funds to the Scarborough Subway to Sheppard East from Kennedy
-with a stop at Lawrence East...
-Paid by the Feds and Province
-without city money...

That would be the smartest way to manoeuver that file.

This puts the pressure on the province entirely while the city propose more transit within Scarborough...

Brilliant

Back