News   Jun 21, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 294     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 413     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I wish people would stop complaining about the extra costs of the SSE. 4+ years ago Ford and McGuinty came up with a compromise plan that was acceptable to the Province, the Mayor, and the public. City Council and a percentage of the public decided that we must spare no expense to remove Ford from as Mayor. Let’s just say that this $2B extra that is being spent is the cost of that decision.

The interesting thing is that Ford would have self-destructed anyway, but Council actions probably sped this up a little so maybe everyone feels it was worth the cost.

Tory can act as "whip" and push councilors to vote for his motin. Kind of like Ford did when he had political capital.

So, in other words, he can exhort them to vote one way, and if they don't then they won't be his friends.

Ford's term showed us just how powerless the mayor can be in our "weak mayor" system. Except for some privileges involving appointments and agenda setting, the main role of mayor is to provide direction. Municipal politics doesn't have political parties (at least not in Toronto, it does in Montreal) so there is no party whip to threaten to expel members who don't vote in line with the party.

It's just unusual for city councillors to vote against major initiatives of a popular, freshly elected mayor. The mayor of Toronto receives the largest direct mandate of any politician in Canada (since in a parliamentary democracy, leaders are elected in their ridings and by the caucus, not directly by all voters), which should be worth something.

So its up to us as citizens to let our individual councillors know that the madness that is Scarborough transit planning needs to stop. We're already paying property taxes towards this planned extension.

I wish people would stop complaining about the extra costs of the SSE.
Why shouldn't they? Ultimately any taxpayer money comes from the citizens. That extra $2Billion ultimately will cost everyone in Toronto about $1,000.

That gives us (unlike you) a huge say in this. The experts in and out of the city have all been very clear that you can save that $2 billion and at the same time provide better transit to more people. The choice is pretty simple and clear.

Perhaps with SmartTrack, it could have no stations between Agincourt and Kennedy like it is now and people will have to take the SSE in between.

If they do indeed go ahead with the Scarborough Subway Extension, The McCowan route is the most logical.

If they do really want to serve Eglinton GO Station, they could save the $600million extra for the Bellamy Route, and instead spend $300 million to extend the Eglinton Crosstown by 3km to the station and accomplish the same goal. This would also proactively save approximately $200million in extra costs associated with adding a subway station at Eglinton & Danforth. If the extension is approved for McCowan, then adding this station is the next likely fight.

This could help people in East Scarborough or Durham connect to jobs in Markham via SmartTrack / GO RER. Worth some study, I think.

Last edited:
It's just unusual for city councillors to vote against major initiatives of a popular, freshly elected mayor. The mayor of Toronto receives the largest direct mandate of any politician in Canada (since in a parliamentary democracy, leaders are elected in their ridings and by the caucus, not directly by all voters), which should be worth something.

I think it is becoming increasingly clear that Tory's position on Scarborough Subway is effectively: "No Opinion".

He inherited this mess, he does not seem enthusiastic about the subway, and I am sure his main concern is losing the provincial and federal funding rather than the viability of the subway.

Which is why I hope he comes to realize a SmartTrack spur is the solution. It's still a (surface) subway, appeasing Scarberian voters and keeping provincial/federal funding for a subway option on the table, it should cost not much more than the LRT option and it makes his SmartTrack a massive priority for the city as the SRT needs urgent replacement.

Tory doesn't have the power to allow or disallow Council to do anything.

Yes he does.

And how exactly is that?

Tory can act as "whip" and push councilors to vote for his motin. Kind of like Ford did when he had political capital.

Okay? He can try to politically motivate councillors to do things, but like I said before, he cannot allow or disallow Council from doing anything.

Back