News   Jul 16, 2024
 198     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 949     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

It is sad to see that transit observers, many self-styled "progressives", declare a subway "not justified" because it will not result in much intensification along the route. Apparently, they think that convenience of the existing transit riders does not matter, and are only willing to serve future residents.

Oh come on. If we had kept the SRT and Sheppard had been approved, would you even attempt this line of argument? Fact is both subways are below standard, but this one is just less below standard. TigerMaster and Paikin are correc,t and as an aside eventually Sheppard East will become a problem again because then the argument becomes "Why does North York have 2 subways and we only have one?" Which is now a legitimate train of thought. This is why you don't cave to the mob.

Oh come on. If we had kept the SRT and Sheppard had been approved, would you even attempt this line of argument?

As a matter of principle, yes. That's how I would think.

However, I would not care much to post it, because I would feel that it is disruptive to change the plans that are already in progress. An imperfect plan is better than no plan at all.

... and as an aside eventually Sheppard East will become a problem again because then the argument becomes "Why does North York have 2 subways and we only have one?" Which is now a legitimate train of thought. This is why you don't cave to the mob.

And that's why Sheppard subway will not be reactivated as long as the BD extension is on the books. Nobody can take responsibility for building so many subways at once.

As a matter of principle, yes. That's how I would think.

However, I would not care much to post it, because I would feel that it is disruptive to change the plans that are already in progress. An imperfect plan is better than no plan at all.
If you don't speakup against bad ideas, that makes you responsible for the result.

And that's why Sheppard subway will not be reactivated as long as the BD extension is on the books. Nobody can take responsibility for building so many subways at once.
That's not true. Every second the SELRT sits on the Metrolinx drawing board, sheppard is still in the back of the minds of many. There is nothing stopping Metrolinx from building the FWLRT and SELRT at the same time, other then the fact they don't want to.

If you don't speakup against bad ideas, that makes you responsible for the result.

Yes; if the idea is so bad that doing nothing is preferable.

On the other hand, if there is an imperfect but workable plan in place, and you speak up against it trying to promote a better plan, but the outcome is that nothing gets build; you become responsible for the resulting lack of progress.

That's not true. Every second the SELRT sits on the Metrolinx drawing board, sheppard is still in the back of the minds of many. There is nothing stopping Metrolinx from building the FWLRT and SELRT at the same time, other then the fact they don't want to.

If Metrolinx is not building those LRTs at this time, it does not mean they are about to start building Sheppard subway.

Yes; if the idea is so bad that doing nothing is preferable.

On the other hand, if there is an imperfect but workable plan in place, and you speak up against it trying to promote a better plan, but the outcome is that nothing gets build; you become responsible for the resulting lack of progress.
If you had a plan in place, then I don't see the lack of progress. I want a DRL from Weston to Don Mills/Sheppard; that is not feasible at this time.

If Metrolinx is not building those LRTs at this time, it does not mean they are about to start building Sheppard subway.
And that's why I said in the back of many minds. What they are doing is nothing, which is worse.

Work on our Finch and Sheppard LRTs is progressing. The RFP for both lines was will be issued early 2015. Finch will enter construction phase in a year.
Work is progressing, but unless I've missed something, neither RFQ has been released yet, let alone the RFP.

I look forward to the SmartTrack study returning, showing how pointless this subway extension is with SmartTrack running two kilometers to the west.

Hopefully it will recommend converting the SRT route into a branch of SmartTrack, which Tory will embrace to out himself of this mess the previous administration left him.

I look forward to the SmartTrack study returning, showing how pointless this subway extension is with SmartTrack running two kilometers to the west.
I don't see how a relatively inaccessible once every 15 minute RER service, that doesn't get to Scarborough Centre, and still requires you to change at Kennedy is going to help.

The existing SRT already stops at all the new proposed RER stops. So we know that most of the ridership is not coming from near the RER, it's coming from near McCowan.

Last edited:

Back