News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 421     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

The recent GTTA documents don't seem to be mentioning extending to Malvern - so perhaps that is off the table.

The Scarborough RT refurbishment and the extension to Malvern are still on the table. They are considered category 1 AFP projects, which means that the EA will be completed within a year, it was identified in MoveOntario 2020 but not funded elsewhere.

The GTTA's job is to figure out which projects should be funded with 2020 money when, and this is based on how highly each city ranks the project and how highly it ranks in the big picture.

Yes, a subway extension and an RT reno + extension are both apples because they will cost the same thing. Except the subway project will somehow inflate to $2 billion next year, while you'll find even more ways to pretend the RT costs are even lower.

Aren't vehicles going to drive along that $236M reno?

Also, doesn't anyone in this godforsaken city care about quality of service? You certainly don't. All you care about is the quantity of coloured lines on transit maps.

The extension to Markham & Sheppard *is* the extension to "Malvern"...

Yes, a subway extension and an RT reno + extension are both apples because they will cost the same thing.
If you want to compare how much option A and B will cost to do X, you need to have both A and B do X, not one do X and the other Y.

Except the subway project will somehow inflate to $2 billion next year, while you'll find even more ways to pretend the RT costs are even lower.
??? I took the RT costs directly from a document released last week by GTTA - which is the funding agency. The costs for a subway aren't as accurate, as no one is studying that option, but based on recent subway cost estimates, you tell me how much 6 km of subway will cost. You might save a bit, if you don't put any other stations along that 6 km of track I suppose. But there's no way you'll ever get the cost below $1 billion - and I'd be surprised if you even get it that far.

Aren't vehicles going to drive along that $236M reno?
You'll need vehicles whether they be subway or Skytrain. GTTA estimated the Mark II vehicles for just the conversion would be $203.7 million. There's no subway cost around, but GTTA in the same document estimated that the new vehicles for the Yonge Subway extension north of Finch were $383.9 million. A bit longer, and more frequent - so I'd say generally the vehicle cost is a similiar magnitude for either system, so it's the infrastructure cost that is where you find the difference.

Also, doesn't anyone in this godforsaken city care about quality of service? You certainly don't. All you care about is the quantity of coloured lines on transit maps.
But this is all about quality of service. You just want to build a few white-elephant mega-projects in suburbia. But by spending the money on much larger projects across the entire city, you get better quality of service for more people, rather than best quality of service for a few people.

The extension to Markham & Sheppard *is* the extension to "Malvern"...
TTC documents differ on this. According to TTC documents relating to the upcoming tendering of the EA and design of the SRT extension - where it discussed an EA amendment to extend the SRT to "vicinity of Markham and Sheppard" and a separate Municipal Class EA to further extend "beyond Markham/Sheppard, to the area of Malvern Town Centre".

But this is all about quality of service. You just want to build a few white-elephant mega-projects in suburbia. But by spending the money on much larger projects across the entire city, you get better quality of service for more people, rather than best quality of service for a few people.

The RT extension isn't a white elephant...sure...

A subway extension will serve an area with 400,000 people. An RT extension for the same amount of money will serve an area with 100,000 people. We can quibble over a couple hundred million dollars but common sense tells you those figures are pretty damning as far the RT goes. Don't forget that the Midtown GO line and a billion dollars worth of streetcars will also be trundling into Malvern.

Yes, it is possible that the RT could be extended farther into Malvern, such as the Malvern Town Centre area (Sheppard & Markham and other places have all interchangably been called "Malvern"). In that case, the cost of keeping the RT will invariably be over the cost of the subway extension...the farther the RT goes, the fewer people it benefits and the more obscene it becomes.

If you want to compare how much option A and B will cost to do X, you need to have both A and B do X, not one do X and the other Y.

Yes, nfitz, it's apples to apples. We're comparing improvement in service rather than quantity of lines on a map. The reason to build transit projects is to improve service. Yes, unequivocally, the RT extension will mean more coloured lines on a map. The subway extension, however, will provide better service to more people.

??? I took the RT costs directly from a document released last week by GTTA - which is the funding agency. The costs for a subway aren't as accurate, as no one is studying that option, but based on recent subway cost estimates, you tell me how much 6 km of subway will cost. You might save a bit, if you don't put any other stations along that 6 km of track I suppose. But there's no way you'll ever get the cost below $1 billion - and I'd be surprised if you even get it that far.

Okay, I got both my figures from recent TTC planning documents. I wouldn't argue with them. The subway extension is $1.22-billion, the RT renovation and extension is $1.279-billion. Costs include new vehicles, and I would add that maintaining a separate fleet -- including yard and maintenance facilities and staff -- for the RT would be far more expensive in the long term than just having a couple extra vehicles at Greenwood.

You'll need vehicles whether they be subway or Skytrain. GTTA estimated the Mark II vehicles for just the conversion would be $203.7 million. There's no subway cost around, but GTTA in the same document estimated that the new vehicles for the Yonge Subway extension north of Finch were $383.9 million. A bit longer, and more frequent - so I'd say generally the vehicle cost is a similiar magnitude for either system, so it's the infrastructure cost that is where you find the difference.

Like I said, the $1.22-billion figure includes vehicles. You completely misread that $383.9 million figure. That's for 126 new cars to replace the existing vehicles on the entire Yonge-University-Spadina lines. We will not need 126 cars for the Yonge extension.

edit: Here's the cost estimate for fleet expansion from the Spadina Subway EA:
Additional vehicles (estimated 36 subway cars) $ 108 M

That's a longer route than Kennedy-STC, and the new vehicles would cost half as much as the lower-capacity SRT replacement cars. Yet another reason why keeping the RT instead of replacing it with a subway extension is crazy. We could have all the subway trains we need if we just keep the H6 cars a little longer. What happens when the RT cars need to be replaced again? Will we once again be paying twice as much for a lower capacity vehicle?

Here you go distracting from the central point. We're not talking about lines all over the city. We're talking about replacing the inconvenient and unreliable RT with an extension of the subway, saving as much as 25% of the travel time for people from all over Scarborough, or extending the RT to a middle-of-nowhere intersection and doing absolutely nothing for everybody else in Scarborough. Both of these have the same cost.

Like I said, the $1.22-billion figure includes vehicles. You completely misread that $383.9 million figure. That's for 126 new trains to completely replace the existing vehicles on the Yonge-University-Spadina lines. We will not need 126 6-car trains for the Yonge extension.
Your kidding right? The TTC last year ordered 39 new train sets - 234 cars, for $499,328,403. That's over $2 million per car.

At that price, 126 6-car trains would cost over $1.6 billion. And you think I've misread it?

I'm giving up arguing you. You seem to favour the spending of huge excessive amounts of money to provide excellent service to a few people. Fortunately few are going to take this seriously.

Don't get me wrong, if an infinite amount of money existed, I would think that a BD extension to STC and a Sheppard East (and west) line would be a priority. Along with some kind of downtown relief line (working near Sheppard, I don't try and leave downtown in rush-hour often - but I tried on Thursday and stood in Dundas station at around 5 pm with train after train arriving and departing, all too crowded for most of the people on the platform to get on).

The current plan is giving more money to transit in Toronto than has been seen in generations. In addition to the two subway extensions, and the RT extension and rebuild, we are potentially, seeing 3 other chunks of subway being constructed, mostly on Eglinton, but also on Pape, and potentially on Jane. Honestly, the only major hole I see in the plan, is how to get people from Pape (and Jane?) into downtown - and I think a downtown relief line should have been part of the plan. Such a line will carry far more passengers than either a Sheppard East or a STC-BD subway ever would.

That was a typo. I edited it before you even wrote your response. Like I said. Cost of cars for the extension. $100 million. Cost of cars for the RT, $200 million. I think that's pretty clear. I might add that I didn't attack you personally and go on about you "spouting bullshit" when you claimed that 126 cars were all for the Yonge Extension.

Excellent service for a few people? You support an RT extension that would barely improve service for less than 100,000 people (many would see travel times increase with an additional transfer to get to STC), while you oppose a subway extension that would improve service to 400,000 people? If 400,000 is a "few people" Toronto must have turned into Tokyo pretty quickly.

Why are you arguing with this? Why do you want poorer service to Scarborough, by your own admission, when money is practically growing on trees with MoveOntario2020, and it wouldn't take a dime away from any non-RT-related project?

I'm giving up arguing you. You're just spouting bullshit here - you clearly seem to favour the spending of huge excessive amounts of money to provide excellent service to a few people. Fortunately few are going to take this seriously.

And you favour wasting a billion dollars on 100,000 people when it could be spent on 400,000 people. That's the only important thing here. Quality of service + quantity of people = the indisputedly best option.

Here's a quotation from the Transit Toronto article on the Scarborough RT extension that sums up the problems with the extension in and of itself.

In the end, the 3.2-km extension would have cost over $400 million, double the price of the original line and almost five times the original cost of the ALRV proposal. Moreover, the extension's route would have missed some important stops. To the north of McCowan station is a set of offices and an enormous condominium development that would be better served by a station built at Bellamy Road.

Worse, the extension would not have entered the Centennial College campus, but just flanked it leaving hundreds of students with a long walk, crossing busy Progress Avenue every day.

Finally, the travel time downtown would have been long if you were to start at Sheppard East station: Probably 20 minutes to ride the RT, 5 to 10 minutes to interchange at Kennedy, 25 minutes to Yonge Street, 10 to 15 minutes to a downtown station. In total 60 to 70 minutes, assuming that there were no delays. Compare this to, say, the Agincourt GO station with an approximately 25 to 30 minute run to downtown.

The RT Extension Today

Plans for RT extension have pretty much dropped off Toronto's "transit radar". Other major projects look more promising, including a subway extension to York University. A Malvern transit gateway is still mentioned in the media, but only in relationship to GO Transit, which may (if funding permits) run trains on the CP tracks in the area.

Moreover, other factors have now come into play. The Highland Creek bed, in and around Bellamy Road, has been given an expensive "environmental make over". Palmerston Place never took off, although the whole area has undergone extensive development including a very large pocket of townhouses at Markham Road and Sheppard Avenue.

Given these changes over the last few years the proposed extension has too many obstacles to overcome now. It is doubtful that it will ever be built as currently planned.

Why are you arguing with this? Why do you want poorer service to Scarborough, by your own admission, when money is practically growing on trees with MoveOntario2020, and it wouldn't take a dime away from any non-RT-related project?
I think that all these new LRT lines in Scarborough will give it better service than 1 or 2 subway extensions strictly to STC. I don't think money is growing on trees. The city still has to find 1/3 of the capital costs to pay for these subway extensions.

If it were me, I would do things a bit differently. I'd cut the Spadina extension at Steeles West and build LRT from there. I'd cut the Yonge Extension at John and build LRT from there. I would ditch the entire SRT and replace some of it with LRT, and expand the BD to YRT. I would expand the Sheppard subway from Downsview to SRT. And then I'd build a Finch East LRT instead of a Sheppard LRT, that links to Agincourt Station, and then head out Sheppard East. And I'd also build a downtown relief subway from Pape through downtown, and up Dufferin to Dufferin Station, feeding in the new Jane LRT into Dufferin and Pape. But it's not up to me.

And I expect you might well agree with me. But we have what we have - which is a tremendous expansion. We could sit here forever arguing against something that is 95% good. Or we could all get on board and support it. There's little in Transit City that precludes a future completion of the Sheppard subway, or even a BD extension at some point in the future.

And you favour wasting a billion dollars on 100,000 people when it could be spent on 400,000 people. That's the only important thing here. Quality of service + quantity of people = the indisputedly best option.
Not sure where your going here. Can you expand your example a bit so I can see your point?

Not sure where your going here. Can you expand your example a bit so I can see your point?

Certainly! It's very simple.

- The subway extension and the RT reno + extension cost more or less the same thing (this is the part where you calculate a small difference in costs, one that is utterly insignificant in the context of $20 billion worth of projects).

- One benefits an area with 400,000 people, while the other benefits an area with 100,000 people.

Remember, 400,000 is a bigger number than 100,000.

While it is possible that the RT will not be extended at all, lowering the project's cost [and obliterating its usefulness], a main reason for retaining it has *always* been the extension to Malvern...compensation for not going forward with the subway extension.

I think that all these new LRT lines in Scarborough will give it better service than 1 or 2 subway extensions strictly to STC. I don't think money is growing on trees. The city still has to find 1/3 of the capital costs to pay for these subway extensions.

And I expect you might well agree with me. But we have what we have - which is a tremendous expansion. We could sit here forever arguing against something that is 95% good. Or we could all get on board and support it. There's little in Transit City that precludes a future completion of the Sheppard subway, or even a BD extension at some point in the future.

There is no "either subway extensions or LRT lines" scenario - it's a completely false, invented "choice." But if I were to choose, I'd pick Sheppard & Danforth extensions over Sheppard & Morningside streetcars plus a longer RT...the subway extensions here are simply not more expensive and do not preempt other bus or rail projects.

MoveOntario is mostly good, yes...it's main flaws are some of the Transit City components. A Sheppard streetcar will preempt a Sheppard subway extension for generations - just look at the Danforth extension to STC, which should have been built in the 80s and now won't be considered again until probably the 2050s or later.

Exactly nfitz! What does 8kms of subway do for the city and region at large? Absoultely zilch! Don Mills and STC would still functionally serve as the interregional transfer points so all we're doing here is link the two points. It might have a projected demand of a few 100, 000s but of course that's peanuts in constrast to the other subway lines and even combined downtown streetcar figures. If you think I'm joking look what people actually lkiving along the Sheppard Line today have to say...

TRANSIT-ORIENTED DEVELOPMENT
TheStar.com | living | Still a subway to nowhere?

Still a subway to nowhere?

TONY BOCK/TORONTO STAR
Many residents of Daniels Corp.’s NY Towers prefer their cars to transit and walking, but buyers at Arc, under construction in the background, will be right next to Bayview station and shopping.

SUBWAY BY NUMBERS
$1 billion
Cost to construct the Sheppard line

Stations on the line, which is also now five years old

Average number of daily riders on the line, less than some of the TTC's downtown surface routes

Daily riders per station (compared with 20,214 on the Yonge-University-Spadina line and 15,444 on the Bloor-Danforth).

Rank of Bessarion, among the TTC's least-used subway stations. Leslie, also on the Sheppard line, is No. 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: TTCConstruction booms, but opinions remain sharply divided as the often-derided Sheppard line turns 5

Nov 24, 2007 04:30 AM
IVOR TOSSELL
Special to the Star

The futuristic chrome plating in Sheppard-Yonge station already looks a little scuffed. But it was only five years ago – Nov. 22, 2002 – that then-mayor Mel Lastman cut the ribbon to open Toronto's northern east-west subway line, accompanied by a phalanx of dignitaries, reporters, children and musicians. Even the U of T's infamously discordant engineering department band came out to crash the event in the former North York, piling onto the subway cars with tubas and drums in tow.

The new line was always central to Lastman's long-held dream, going back before amalgamation, to when he was mayor of North York and wanted it to have a downtown – an urban focal point that could compete with the big one in the old city of Toronto. The Sheppard line would not only spur development along its path, but speed commuters into North York City Centre.

There were tall buildings in the area before this subway opened, but five years of operation has transformed the landscape. Both Yonge St. and Sheppard Ave. E. are dotted with construction sites and billboards announcing new projects. Tens of thousands of residents have moved into the corridor, with tens of thousands more to come.

But old questions still dog the billion-dollar line. Why is it still so easy to get a seat on the trains? Why are the sidewalks on Sheppard so empty? Are we creating urbanity or merely plunking a lot of tall buildings into a suburban landscape where residents are more likely to drive than walk or use transit?

It depends who you ask.

"A very definite urban design theme has emerged," says Niall Haggart, vice-president of the Daniels Corp., which has brought more than 2,500 condo units to the corridor. "I think that someone will be able to walk out of their building and have eyes on the street."

He adds that when the NY Towers project was introduced, "it was marketed with the Sheppard subway clearly front and centre."

Dianne Braun, who lives in a condo near Bayview Ave. and Sheppard, says the subway is a pleasant amenity – but she doesn't use it. She drives to her job as an executive assistant even though her office is right on the subway, too, at Yonge and Eglinton.

"I get free parking at the office, and it's underground parking, so I prefer it," she says, though she thinks the Sheppard subway has made her neighbourhood more desirable.

Jane Renwick, editor of Urbanation, a quarterly that tracks Toronto's condo market, is among those impressed by downtown North York's transformation.

"There's a lot of highrise residential," she says. "You look at it, and you think, `This could be any small city in the U.S.' ... it's becoming a bigger centre, and I think that's ultimately because it's a transportation hub."

Then there's Brian Harvey, a librarian who lives in a condo near Yonge and rides the Sheppard line to work every day.

"There's absolutely nothing along Sheppard that's worth going to, except for IKEA, if you're an IKEA person, and I'm really not," he says. "Other than that, there's about 25 blocks between anything of note."

Harvey might be exaggerating a bit, but Sheppard today still has the feel of a high-speed suburban arterial – an adolescent road in the midst of a sudden and painful maturation. New towers loom behind single-family bungalows. Parkettes front onto six uncrossable lanes of speeding traffic. And nearly everywhere you look, there's construction. [GRAPHIC]

Near Sheppard and Leslie St., giant piles of earth mark the site of the biggest project of all: Concord Park Place, a 17-hectare master-planned community that is expected to eventually hold 10,000 residents. It's so big it will have its own shuttle bus to ferry people to and from the nearest TTC stations – Bessarion and Leslie, the two least-used subway stops in Toronto.

Change hasn't been easy. The scale and speed of the developments that followed the subway took both residents and elected officials by surprise. The city found its land-use plans being overturned by the Ontario Municipal Board, the provincial panel that has the last word on what gets built in Toronto. Meanwhile, neighbourhood associations waged trench warfare against developers who wanted to build towers – almost literally – in their backyards.

"We didn't really care for the subway along Sheppard,"
says Poonam Jain, president of the Bayview Village Association. "It didn't seem to make sense. Even now, people are talking about how Mel Lastman managed to wrangle it, even though there were other places in Toronto that needed subways."

Jain says residents knew there would be some development along the way, but not this much. With development comes noise, disruption and traffic – traffic that overflows from Sheppard and infiltrates the winding, residential streets nearby.

"We had a lovely peaceful place here – an island of serenity – and it's being destroyed," she says.

In response, groups such as the Bayview Village Association and the Sheppard-Leslie Homeowners Association – a group formed specifically to fight another new development – dug in their heels, insisting that the condo towers be scaled back, if not cancelled.

But the subway is also the reason some condo-dwelling, transit-riding newcomers have chosen to make the area home.

"When we moved to Toronto, we basically lived here for the subway," says Nori Bradley, a former Vancouverite and now a University of Toronto medical student who lives at Bayview and Sheppard. Like her husband, she commutes to the old downtown every day. Bradley says that living on the subway lets her leave her car in the garage 80 per cent of the time, except for trips to Costco and her husband's hockey games.

This summer, during the budget crisis at city hall when Mayor David Miller mulled mothballing the Sheppard line as a cost-saving measure, the story hit home.

"Closing it down would totally change our lives," Bradley says. "To shut it down would be like shutting us off from everything."

In the end, the line was spared, but the so-called "subway to nowhere" remains a subject of debate and an object of derision, even if daily ridership has risen steadily over the past five years to 43,260 from 34,700 (Projections had called for 48,000 in Year 1).

The line was originally meant to run out to Scarborough, but was truncated to its current five stations. Construction started in parallel with another line along Eglinton West – a project that many continue to argue was a much bigger priority. But after the provincial Conservatives came to power in 1995, work was halted and the Eglinton pit filled in. Lastman and others, however, won a reprieve for Sheppard.

The fact that Sheppard was never built to its full length still rankles city councillor David Shiner. A committed supporter of the line, Shiner pins the neighbourhood's growing pains on the line's curtailment, and the OMB, which let development run beyond what the city had planned for.

"We've ended up in a situation where there's almost double the development that was proposed, the traffic impacts have been horrendous and the subway line does not carry people anywhere but to Yonge St. and downtown," he says.

"I think the No. 1 priority of the city right now should be to complete the Sheppard line out to Scarborough. The residents of Scarborough and the residents of North York deserve to have a better trans link into the centre of the city."

To the dismay of Shiner and other subway boosters, finishing the line doesn't seem to be in the cards any time soon. The TTC's latest plan for the corridor calls for a streetcar right-of-way, or LRT, to complete the route along Sheppard.

"Instead of spending a billion dollars to finish the line, we can do (about) 10 times as much LRT for that same amount of money," TTC chair Adam Giambrone says.

Giambrone adds that he'd like to see the subway finished, but it could be decades before enough ridership and money are in place.
Meanwhile, many still ask whether Sheppard – with its asphalt-surrounded malls, long blocks and suburban cul-de-sacs dotted with occasional highrises – was ever a good candidate for a subway.

Among those is veteran transportation consultant Ed Levy.

"A few highrise towers on the skyline does not indicate subway-type density," he says.

"There's hardly a building more than 20 or 25 storeys high in all of Brooklyn," he says, "but it's lined with neighbourhoods that have townhousing and four- to six-storey apartments solidly, mile after mile after mile. They're able to fill up subway lines running about a mile apart." But here, he says, single-family neighbourhoods are sacrosanct.

"Any time someone dares breathe something over three, four, five storeys, there's general hysteria."

Ken Greenberg, a local planning consultant, points out that Sheppard is "relying on bus feeder lines, as opposed to a large walking population around it."

To truly be successful, he says, the city needs to allow intensification away from the major intersections where towers are currently sprouting, and into the entire catchment area for the subways – including the quiet neighbourhoods, whose residents want none of it.

But for the people, like Bradley, who bought a home to be on the subway, the subway means one thing: a way to get downtown – the real downtown.

"The state of transit in Toronto is a joke. I mean, it's the biggest city in Canada; if you don't live on the subway line, you can't get anywhere."

... Obviously some very intelligent minds agree with me that the TTC's throwing money at a problem that'll only worsen. A city-wide LRT network's more effective than one piecemeal subway extension after the next, the sooner we realize that, the sooner we'll see positive results for the majority of transit riders, not just those confined to about half of the Sheppard East/Central Scarborough corridor.

Yet absolutely nothing that you've posted is at all relevant to the Sheppard extension. Transit City will cost approximately three times the Sheppard and Danforth extensions put together.

Exactly nfitz! What does 8kms of subway do for the city and region at large? Absoultely zilch! Don Mills and STC would still functionally serve as the interregional transfer points so all we're doing here is link the two points. It might have a projected demand of a few 100, 000s but of course that's peanuts in constrast to the other subway lines and even combined downtown streetcar figures. If you think I'm joking look what people actually lkiving along the Sheppard Line today have to say...

TRANSIT-ORIENTED DEVELOPMENT
TheStar.com | living | Still a subway to nowhere?

Still a subway to nowhere?

TONY BOCK/TORONTO STAR
Many residents of Daniels Corp.’s NY Towers prefer their cars to transit and walking, but buyers at Arc, under construction in the background, will be right next to Bayview station and shopping.

SUBWAY BY NUMBERS
$1 billion
Cost to construct the Sheppard line

Stations on the line, which is also now five years old

Average number of daily riders on the line, less than some of the TTC's downtown surface routes

Daily riders per station (compared with 20,214 on the Yonge-University-Spadina line and 15,444 on the Bloor-Danforth).

Rank of Bessarion, among the TTC's least-used subway stations. Leslie, also on the Sheppard line, is No. 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: TTCConstruction booms, but opinions remain sharply divided as the often-derided Sheppard line turns 5

Nov 24, 2007 04:30 AM
IVOR TOSSELL
Special to the Star

The futuristic chrome plating in Sheppard-Yonge station already looks a little scuffed. But it was only five years ago – Nov. 22, 2002 – that then-mayor Mel Lastman cut the ribbon to open Toronto's northern east-west subway line, accompanied by a phalanx of dignitaries, reporters, children and musicians. Even the U of T's infamously discordant engineering department band came out to crash the event in the former North York, piling onto the subway cars with tubas and drums in tow.

The new line was always central to Lastman's long-held dream, going back before amalgamation, to when he was mayor of North York and wanted it to have a downtown – an urban focal point that could compete with the big one in the old city of Toronto. The Sheppard line would not only spur development along its path, but speed commuters into North York City Centre.

There were tall buildings in the area before this subway opened, but five years of operation has transformed the landscape. Both Yonge St. and Sheppard Ave. E. are dotted with construction sites and billboards announcing new projects. Tens of thousands of residents have moved into the corridor, with tens of thousands more to come.

But old questions still dog the billion-dollar line. Why is it still so easy to get a seat on the trains? Why are the sidewalks on Sheppard so empty? Are we creating urbanity or merely plunking a lot of tall buildings into a suburban landscape where residents are more likely to drive than walk or use transit?

It depends who you ask.

"A very definite urban design theme has emerged," says Niall Haggart, vice-president of the Daniels Corp., which has brought more than 2,500 condo units to the corridor. "I think that someone will be able to walk out of their building and have eyes on the street."

He adds that when the NY Towers project was introduced, "it was marketed with the Sheppard subway clearly front and centre."

Dianne Braun, who lives in a condo near Bayview Ave. and Sheppard, says the subway is a pleasant amenity – but she doesn't use it. She drives to her job as an executive assistant even though her office is right on the subway, too, at Yonge and Eglinton.

"I get free parking at the office, and it's underground parking, so I prefer it," she says, though she thinks the Sheppard subway has made her neighbourhood more desirable.

Jane Renwick, editor of Urbanation, a quarterly that tracks Toronto's condo market, is among those impressed by downtown North York's transformation.

"There's a lot of highrise residential," she says. "You look at it, and you think, `This could be any small city in the U.S.' ... it's becoming a bigger centre, and I think that's ultimately because it's a transportation hub."

Then there's Brian Harvey, a librarian who lives in a condo near Yonge and rides the Sheppard line to work every day.

"There's absolutely nothing along Sheppard that's worth going to, except for IKEA, if you're an IKEA person, and I'm really not," he says. "Other than that, there's about 25 blocks between anything of note."

Harvey might be exaggerating a bit, but Sheppard today still has the feel of a high-speed suburban arterial – an adolescent road in the midst of a sudden and painful maturation. New towers loom behind single-family bungalows. Parkettes front onto six uncrossable lanes of speeding traffic. And nearly everywhere you look, there's construction. [GRAPHIC]

Near Sheppard and Leslie St., giant piles of earth mark the site of the biggest project of all: Concord Park Place, a 17-hectare master-planned community that is expected to eventually hold 10,000 residents. It's so big it will have its own shuttle bus to ferry people to and from the nearest TTC stations – Bessarion and Leslie, the two least-used subway stops in Toronto.

Change hasn't been easy. The scale and speed of the developments that followed the subway took both residents and elected officials by surprise. The city found its land-use plans being overturned by the Ontario Municipal Board, the provincial panel that has the last word on what gets built in Toronto. Meanwhile, neighbourhood associations waged trench warfare against developers who wanted to build towers – almost literally – in their backyards.

"We didn't really care for the subway along Sheppard,"
says Poonam Jain, president of the Bayview Village Association. "It didn't seem to make sense. Even now, people are talking about how Mel Lastman managed to wrangle it, even though there were other places in Toronto that needed subways."

Jain says residents knew there would be some development along the way, but not this much. With development comes noise, disruption and traffic – traffic that overflows from Sheppard and infiltrates the winding, residential streets nearby.

"We had a lovely peaceful place here – an island of serenity – and it's being destroyed," she says.

In response, groups such as the Bayview Village Association and the Sheppard-Leslie Homeowners Association – a group formed specifically to fight another new development – dug in their heels, insisting that the condo towers be scaled back, if not cancelled.

But the subway is also the reason some condo-dwelling, transit-riding newcomers have chosen to make the area home.

"When we moved to Toronto, we basically lived here for the subway," says Nori Bradley, a former Vancouverite and now a University of Toronto medical student who lives at Bayview and Sheppard. Like her husband, she commutes to the old downtown every day. Bradley says that living on the subway lets her leave her car in the garage 80 per cent of the time, except for trips to Costco and her husband's hockey games.

This summer, during the budget crisis at city hall when Mayor David Miller mulled mothballing the Sheppard line as a cost-saving measure, the story hit home.

"Closing it down would totally change our lives," Bradley says. "To shut it down would be like shutting us off from everything."

In the end, the line was spared, but the so-called "subway to nowhere" remains a subject of debate and an object of derision, even if daily ridership has risen steadily over the past five years to 43,260 from 34,700 (Projections had called for 48,000 in Year 1).

The line was originally meant to run out to Scarborough, but was truncated to its current five stations. Construction started in parallel with another line along Eglinton West – a project that many continue to argue was a much bigger priority. But after the provincial Conservatives came to power in 1995, work was halted and the Eglinton pit filled in. Lastman and others, however, won a reprieve for Sheppard.

The fact that Sheppard was never built to its full length still rankles city councillor David Shiner. A committed supporter of the line, Shiner pins the neighbourhood's growing pains on the line's curtailment, and the OMB, which let development run beyond what the city had planned for.

"We've ended up in a situation where there's almost double the development that was proposed, the traffic impacts have been horrendous and the subway line does not carry people anywhere but to Yonge St. and downtown," he says.

"I think the No. 1 priority of the city right now should be to complete the Sheppard line out to Scarborough. The residents of Scarborough and the residents of North York deserve to have a better trans link into the centre of the city."

To the dismay of Shiner and other subway boosters, finishing the line doesn't seem to be in the cards any time soon. The TTC's latest plan for the corridor calls for a streetcar right-of-way, or LRT, to complete the route along Sheppard.

"Instead of spending a billion dollars to finish the line, we can do (about) 10 times as much LRT for that same amount of money," TTC chair Adam Giambrone says.

Giambrone adds that he'd like to see the subway finished, but it could be decades before enough ridership and money are in place.
Meanwhile, many still ask whether Sheppard – with its asphalt-surrounded malls, long blocks and suburban cul-de-sacs dotted with occasional highrises – was ever a good candidate for a subway.

Among those is veteran transportation consultant Ed Levy.

"A few highrise towers on the skyline does not indicate subway-type density," he says.

"There's hardly a building more than 20 or 25 storeys high in all of Brooklyn," he says, "but it's lined with neighbourhoods that have townhousing and four- to six-storey apartments solidly, mile after mile after mile. They're able to fill up subway lines running about a mile apart." But here, he says, single-family neighbourhoods are sacrosanct.

"Any time someone dares breathe something over three, four, five storeys, there's general hysteria."

Ken Greenberg, a local planning consultant, points out that Sheppard is "relying on bus feeder lines, as opposed to a large walking population around it."

To truly be successful, he says, the city needs to allow intensification away from the major intersections where towers are currently sprouting, and into the entire catchment area for the subways – including the quiet neighbourhoods, whose residents want none of it.

But for the people, like Bradley, who bought a home to be on the subway, the subway means one thing: a way to get downtown – the real downtown.

"The state of transit in Toronto is a joke. I mean, it's the biggest city in Canada; if you don't live on the subway line, you can't get anywhere."

... Obviously some very intelligent minds agree with me that the TTC's throwing money at a problem that'll only worsen. A city-wide LRT network's more effective than one piecemeal subway extension after the next, the sooner we realize that, the sooner we'll see positive results for the majority of transit riders, not just those confined to about half of the Sheppard East/Central Scarborough corridor.

@ Detronbes

Umm, you do know that the article is PRO for finishing the stubway line?

All you did was bold parts of it to make it seem otherwise, the same technique a creationist would use on a scientific article on evolution. Reading the whole article shows NIMBYism, bad anecdotal evidence and references to 5 years ago for all the parts you bolded.

Back