News   Jul 17, 2024
 101     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 733     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 530     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

What a great idea. If the subway is going to go up to Sheppard, and likely Finch one day, why not build an LRT line from STC that crosses 1- Centennial, 2- UTS 3- Malvern and then 4- Zoo. Those also might be good names for the stations. It's always puzzles me why the TTC thinks about LRT only in terms of roads. "IT MUST GO ON A ROAD" Why? Ever been to San Diego, even on a junket? The "trolley" goes off road people. LRT can go anywhere? Think about the places you want to go rather than the F*CKING road.

Rainforest just solved Scarborough's transit woes. Way to go Rainforest!

More likely, there would be separate branches for Malvern and the Zoo. The common route would be from STC along Progress Avenue to Centennial. The Malvern branch would turn north (along with Progress), cross Sheppard, and reach Malvern Centre after a short tunnel. Basically, this is the eastern half of the SLRT route. The Zoo branch can split off either at Sheppard or at Milner, and head east.

UTSC could be the third branch, but this is unlikely since a BRT (Durham Pulse line) is expected to connect STC with UTSC and continue further east.

Building the gas plant could cost them losing one or two ridings. But they will not lose any ridings for building the subway extension.

Yet it didn't, because those people were going to vote Liberal not matter what because they don't want to be one of the the 100 K fired. There's more to life then gas plants and transit, that's the lesson you need to take from election night.

Premier Wynne's favourite saying.

Just curious -- now that money (2014 Toronto budget) has been specifically targeted to the B-D extension, does there need to be a 2/3 vote in Council to reopen the Scarborough subway/LRT debate or not?

I am sure it is the saying of politicians - or anyone who ever done anything involving multiple interests. In any case, no, I don't think there will be 2/3 vote to open the debate - I even doubt that it would pass council should Chow make it any issue.

AoD

Just curious -- now that money (2014 Toronto budget) has been specifically targeted to the B-D extension, does there need to be a 2/3 vote in Council to reopen the Scarborough subway/LRT debate or not?

No. At very least council still needs to vote to accept the Terms of Reference for the EA. This probably won't happen before October.

Also, mayoral powers to set the agenda at executive council and council are regained immediately after the next election. Chow would not need 2/3rd vote to bring the issue before council, nor would any other councillor due to the above 2 items.

Personally, I would like to see 5 things:

1) the Federal contribution redirected to Gardiner work. This is Building Canada fund stuff and may be applied nearly anywhere. Maintenance of existing infrastructure is more important than new infrastructure.

2) The EA should focus on all of North West Scarborough and getting them to their destination quickly rather than just a small area around the existing SRT corridor.

3) the value fixed at $2.5B but the options left completely open in the EA with no technical direction from council. The EA should look at subway, LRT (to Steeles?), BRT (network of 3 to 4 routes), and anything else that might be reasonable. Instead of varying price, keep the price fixed and look at what could be done with it.

4) The EA should consider the impact of electrification/frequent service on Stouffville and possibly use it as a resource. Is Kennedy still the best place to funnel everybody? Probably, but I would like to see that considered. Some bus routes may be better converted to mini-BRT and directed to Agincourt or Millikin with barrier free transfers (similar to a bus transfer at most subway stations).

Bus routes don't need to go to SCC; should they? Again, answer is probably yes but lets look at it.

5) the city responsibility for cost-overruns eliminated. See if the province will take this on or tender as capped Design + Build with an insured contractor.

Last edited:
rbt:

Nope, but I don't think Chow would be able to get half of council to revert back to the LRT plan - and Chow might not bring it to the table herself (I am sure there will be behind the scenes negotiations with QP).

AoD

rbt:

Nope, but I don't think Chow would be able to get half of council to revert back to the LRT plan - and Chow might not bring it to the table herself (I am sure there will be behind the scenes negotiations with QP).

Yes. Chow certainly seems smart enough to only bring forward items to vote which have been pre-negotiated and are winnable.

Hopefully there is a little less clown council going forward.

People... Let the LRT plan go... It has died. It is dead as a doornail. Queen Chow can't get it back on track. The federal and provincial governments are committed to building the subway extension. Like I have said, even if Chow is elected mayor and somehow gets council to back the LRT plan, all Kathleen Wynne has to do is say no to the LRT plan and yes to continuing the subway plan. There has been too much flip-flopping and Wynne knows this. There is no going back to the LRT! See beyond the LRT and focus on other transit plans. Jeez.

Yet it didn't, because those people were going to vote Liberal not matter what because they don't want to be one of the the 100 K fired. There's more to life then gas plants and transit, that's the lesson you need to take from election night.

You did not give any reason why the provincial Liberal government would want to cancel the subway.

You did not give any reason why the provincial Liberal government would want to cancel the subway.

I said if Chow wants to cancel the subway the Liberals would agree, if city council agreed. You have not given any reason that makes sense why the subway is a good idea or why they won't go back to the SRT.

I said if Chow wants to cancel the subway the Liberals would agree, if city council agreed. You have not given any reason that makes sense why the subway is a good idea or why they won't go back to the SRT.

Those are two different questions, whether the subway is a good idea and whether the reversion to SLRT is likely to happen.

I won't reopen the debate on the first question. I lean towards the subway, but recognize that the opposite view has some ground.

But on the second question, it is obvious to me that Liberals got themselves associated with the subway cause; they will take a beating if they flip-flop; but will sustain no damage for supporting the subway even if it means saying No to the city council.

Last edited:
Not if it's a certain period, I believe 1 year, later. And by the time council resumes after the election, it will have been over 1 year.

Not if it's a certain period, I believe 1 year, later. And by the time council resumes after the election, it will have been over 1 year.
It only needs 2/3 votes to reopen it regardless of the time line since nothing is written in stone at this time.

Whoever is mayor, if the city goes for a LRT, yes, you have to negotiate with council to re-open the issue. But if you don't, you:

* Have to re-opent the Master Agreement, negotiate with Metrolinx re: sunk costs, allocation of responsibilities, etc., and sign said agreement

* Complete the new EA and design at Kennedy

* Order new rolling stock

So, go through with all that effort, and wait for a few more years for studies and construction. OR, re-open the issue at council, win the vote, and then get shovels in the ground without all that hassle.

Why are people still so willing to write off the LRT? It still requires so much work compared to just going back to the original plan.

Back