News   Jul 18, 2024
 888     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 792     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 583     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Symbolism aside, the case for replacing the SRT with a BD extension is stronger on the basis of ridership. It isn't a bad compromise. What I do regret is how the discussion around funding the project turned out to be a one-off affair.

AoD

It is. It happend because people whined about getting a subway. If Olivia wants to switch back the SRT and the Liberals back then scarborough gets what they deserve. It set a bad percent.

With a Liberal majority government now, the Bloor-Danforth subway extension will happen for sure. I have no doubt about this. I think Olivia Chow and David Soknacki need to start rethinking the transit plans they have put forward...

They hold the leverage though. City funds are what make or break the project. If chow pulls fundings before amended master agreement then definitely still at play. I think Libs would have to broker deal with chow on welrt/DRL/eglinton west if she was to let scarb sub pass.

They hold the leverage though. City funds are what make or break the project. If chow pulls fundings before amended master agreement then definitely still at play. I think Libs would have to broker deal with chow on welrt/DRL/eglinton west if she was to let scarb sub pass.

I would be very happy if this was the end result.

Wynne just won a majority. The city has no leverage. It will be "subway+" to Sheppard Avernue or "Murray's Subway to STC".

With a Liberal majority government now, the Bloor-Danforth subway extension will happen for sure. I have no doubt about this. I think Olivia Chow and David Soknacki need to start rethinking the transit plans they have put forward...

Wynne just won a majority. The city has no leverage. It will be "subway+" to Sheppard Avernue or "Murray's Subway to STC".

Chow will get the SRT back. And she's right anyway. The subway was NOT the first choice of murray.

Chow will get the SRT back. And she's right anyway. The subway was NOT the first choice of murray.

Wynne might have won a majority but going back to SRT (LRT) means that it won't open in time for the next election. Scarborough will have spent 4 years in shuttle bus nightmare without experiencing the benefits of the SRT upgrade, fantasying on the day they'll get their shot at getting rid of the Liberals.

At the end of the day, it's all about politics and if you think Wynne will risk losing all of Scarborough 4 years from now just to please Chow who's not even a Liberal, you are dreaming my friend. At this stage, It's Subway.Period, regardless of what council decides.

Province be I'll only pony up 1.48b and fed 660m. city has to make up rest of cost with 1.6% levy. Until the master agreement is finally amended and approved, city can pull out its funding via council discretion. Province would have to pick up remaining tab or broker deal with council to keep city funding. Province can't compel city to fund their part unless amended master agreement is approved.

At the end of the day, it's all about politics and if you think Wynne will risk losing all of Scarborough 4 years from now just to please Chow who's not even a Liberal, you are dreaming my friend. At this stage, It's Subway.Period, regardless of what council decides.

And some will say that solid you are in denial my friend.

Province be I'll only pony up 1.48b and fed 660m. city has to make up rest of cost with 1.6% levy. Until the master agreement is finally amended and approved, city can pull out its funding via council discretion. Province would have to pick up remaining tab or broker deal with council to keep city funding. Province can't compel city to fund their part unless amended master agreement is approved.

If Chow is elected and gets city council to cancel the tax hike to pay for the subway extension, then a subway is STILL coming aka Glen Murray's subway to STC.

In the end, the subway is being built. People have to let the Scarborough LRT go. It has died, and if Chow is elected mayor, I think she'll look like a complete fool when she is told a subway is coming. At least with the Liberal majority, the Finch West LRT and Sheppard East LRT are coming for sure now.

I doubt it - what you might see is reusing the SRT route and associated infrastructure to reduce the cost.

AoD

Wynne might have won a majority but going back to SRT (LRT) means that it won't open in time for the next election. Scarborough will have spent 4 years in shuttle bus nightmare without experiencing the benefits of the SRT upgrade, fantasying on the day they'll get their shot at getting rid of the Liberals.

And that means jack because they have spent the past 5 on debate and nothing and they still voted liberal. It's over. Time to move the DRL construction. The SRT can be open in time if interlined and Eglinton East is elevated. Scarborough cares more about jobs then anything.

I've always thought they could build the Murray subway and extend it along progress to stop at centennial and then Sheppard via let route. Saved expense of tunnel go to extending.

This should be one of the more interesting maneuverings to watch these coming years.

It is. It happend because people whined about getting a subway. If Olivia wants to switch back the SRT and the Liberals back then scarborough gets what they deserve. It set a bad percent.

I have to ask, representing the former borough myself, why the big hate on for the eastern 40% of Toronto? And what's all this about what Scarborough deserves? Are you looking for retribution? Did you stick your finger in a bird cage at the Zoo as a child? The GTA, and all of Ontario for that matter, are hurting for better non-car transportation. East Toronto is no different. Come for a visit sometime. Crossing Victoria Park doesn't mean you're going to get mugged. Subways, LRTs; we need all of them. I hope the banter settles down now and we start building instead of sabotaging each other's plans.

Back