News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 868     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Where can I find out how each councillor voted on the Scarborough subway/LRT issue?

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/387720059093004288/photo/1

BWF1VuHIEAApuHG.png

Green subway, Red LRT.

Matt Elliott
‏@GraphicMatt
Kelly says he visited to Madrid to check out their subway system. He does not say whether he also checked out their economic crisis.

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/387656693737197568

Obama says he visited to Madrid to check out their health care system. He does not say whether he also checked out their economic crisis.

I love ya Matt, but that is one hell of a red herring you've got there.

The frustrating thing is that I doubt there will be enough money to even implement the measures required to add a stop at Brimley in the future. Shame too, since I predict it would be used far more than the new Lawrence East.

I don't think it would really add to the cost that much, depending on how it's done. Yes, if you do a full roughed in station box, it would cost more. But if all you do is leave a straight and flat stretch when you TBM through the area, I don't think it would add anything (unless going straight and flat makes the tunnelling more complicated based on local geotechnical conditions).

What exactly did they vote for.

Will they raise the $900M in taxes to build the City Subway route. Will they raise taxes by $500M and expect the Province to contibute their full $1.8B.

I am not sure, but I think every Councillor who cares about transit above politics came out in support of the SRT connected to an elevated ECLRT, but it was not enough. :)

I don't think it would really add to the cost that much, depending on how it's done. Yes, if you do a full roughed in station box, it would cost more. But if all you do is leave a straight and flat stretch when you TBM through the area, I don't think it would add anything (unless going straight and flat makes the tunnelling more complicated based on local geotechnical conditions).

Adding a station in after where the tunnel was TBM'd requires that the tunnel structure be dismantled, so it can't be added in later without shutting down the line for a significant amount of time. The station structure would at least have to be built, which is the bulk of the cost.

To be fair, New York did the High Line before we discussed it here...
The High Line works, because it's in a dense residential area, with entrances very close together, where the streets cross. For some, it's quicker to go up there and walk along it, than to wait for all the red lights walking down 10th Avenue.

The elevated portion of the SRT in Scarborough is in the middle of nowhere, There's virtually no pedestrian traffic along it.

A high-line style line would be a big waste.

Though I wonder what it would cost to simply fix the tracks a bit, put up centenary, and run legacy streetcars along it. Wouldn't require signals ... the existing platform at Kennedy could remain with modifications to restore the loop, without going underground. :)

Subways subways subways
BWF1VuHIEAApuHG.png

I still think they had 3 choices to make.

1. Vote a close YES to Subways, in which case Subway planning will begin - only to be cancelled or changed at or before the next Provincial or Municipal election.
  2. Vote a close NO to Subways, in which case LRT construction will begin - only to be cancelled or changed at or before the next Provincial or Municipal election.
  3. Find a compromise that could get a stronger majority support - and actually go on to built some transit.

The voting was 24 to 20 to 0. They chose option 1.

I still think they had 3 choices to make.

1. Vote a close YES to Subways, in which case Subway planning will begin - only to be cancelled or changed at or before the next Provincial or Municipal election.
  2. Vote a close NO to Subways, in which case LRT construction will begin - only to be cancelled or changed at or before the next Provincial or Municipal election.
  3. Find a compromise that could get a stronger majority support - and actually go on to built some transit.

The voting was 24 to 20 to 0. They chose option 1.

3. Eliminate the transfer at Kennedy. That was the goal of this 2 year war.

Was the 14k peak ridership figure ever debunked? I see in mentioned in reports but no one ever talks about it.

Back