News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Let's start a countdown: If it was finished in 2002 and has a 50 year lifespan, only 39 more years until the Sheppard subway is no longer a burden on the TTC and city planning! :D

Lifespan of many components is from their manufacture date; so subtract a couple of years from that.

at that rate the yonge line would have shut down 9 years ago.

How much of the original Yonge line is left?

If you take an axe and replace the head and the handle in separate years, is it still the same axe?

TTC's $600M/year subway maintenance budget effectively fully rebuilds 1km of subway per year. It's more expensive than new because it's in use at the time.

The design of Yonge is 60 years old but very few of the components are.

Last edited:
I'm not a civil engineer, but looking at the rails and bogies it appears that the actual actual contact surfaces are of standard rail components. Though admittedly the stations will need to be renovated to support low floor trains, an issue which could have been avoided if the TTC had opted for a high floor solution with ramps up to the stops.

This should have been done on the Sheppard LRT too. Think about it, high floor LRT vehicles would mean converting the Sheppard Subway to LRT would be significantly less complicated. Change the track gauge, change the power supply system, and you're good to go. No fiddling with platform heights or any of that stuff.

This should have been done on the Sheppard LRT too. Think about it, high floor LRT vehicles would mean converting the Sheppard Subway to LRT would be significantly less complicated. Change the track gauge, change the power supply system, and you're good to go. No fiddling with platform heights or any of that stuff.

Even better, keep the gauge the same and use dual mode trains so they can switch from third rail to overhead wires at Consumers station.

Deputy mayor pitching 'Kelly Compromise' for Scarborough subway

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/27/deputy-mayor-pitching-kelly-compromise-for-scarborough-subway

Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly is talking with his council colleagues about the “Kelly Compromise” for the city’s subway saga ahead of next month’s subway debate.

“I think I’m reasonably well-informed and I think that the Kelly Compromise is worth looking at it,” Kelly said Friday.

“I think this could be a win-win for the (Scarborough) Town Centre and the people that reside in north Scarborough.”

Kelly wants to accept the province’s plan to build the Scarborough subway along the Scarborough RT alignment, shift the $660 million in federal cash for the subway project up to Sheppard where he would use that cash and the money for the Sheppard LRT to extend the Sheppard subway down to the Scarborough Town Centre.

If the stars align on those two subway plans, Kelly would then take the money the city had planned to raise from a tax hike for the Scarborough subway and spend it on a downtown relief line.

Except the very minor problem of the tunnels being too small to allow for pantographs.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Except the very minor problem of the tunnels being too small to allow for pantographs.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Other jurisdictions have dual power supplies. Pantographs for outside and third rail for tunnels. Even wireless (IE. PRIMOVE) for wireless charging.

Last edited:
Deputy mayor pitching 'Kelly Compromise' for Scarborough subway

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/27/deputy-mayor-pitching-kelly-compromise-for-scarborough-subway

Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly is talking with his council colleagues about the “Kelly Compromise†for the city’s subway saga ahead of next month’s subway debate.

“I think I’m reasonably well-informed and I think that the Kelly Compromise is worth looking at it,†Kelly said Friday.

“I think this could be a win-win for the (Scarborough) Town Centre and the people that reside in north Scarborough.â€

Kelly wants to accept the province’s plan to build the Scarborough subway along the Scarborough RT alignment, shift the $660 million in federal cash for the subway project up to Sheppard where he would use that cash and the money for the Sheppard LRT to extend the Sheppard subway down to the Scarborough Town Centre.

If the stars align on those two subway plans, Kelly would then take the money the city had planned to raise from a tax hike for the Scarborough subway and spend it on a downtown relief line.

Another useless plan being put forward. Also how much downtown relief line can you build with how much the city wants to raise from the tax hike. These guys are deluded. How did we elect these people into these positions?

It's easy to build anything right now. Ordinary people on all sides of the political spectrum are pushing transit expansion as a number 1 civic priority, money from the province and the federal government is flowing and council is willing to raise taxes. It's a potent combination for the biggest expansion in the city's history.

Another useless plan being put forward. Also how much downtown relief line can you build with how much the city wants to raise from the tax hike. These guys are deluded. How did we elect these people into these positions?

Well the cost of Kennedy to STC via the hydro corridor was $1.4 Billion, fully funded by Metrolinx.

The plan proposed by Council to go from Kennedy to Sheppard via Sheppard needed $1.4 Billion from Metrolinx, a $660 Million from the feds and another ~$950 Million from Toronto.

Under this proposal, the ~$660 Million from the feds and ~$950 Million would be transferred to the DRL. Subtract the cost of extending the the SELRT so STC (let's say that costs $0.2 Billion) and that leaves a little more than $1.4 Billion for the DRL.

The DRL (Dundas West to Pape) is projected to cost $6.2 Billion. That means that this proposal will pay for about 23% of the cost of that line. Or, assuming that Metrolinx follows through on the $7 Billion they've committed to the Relief Line, this additional $1.4 Billion will be just enough to build the full DRL all the way from Dundas West, to King and up to Eglinton-Don Mills Station.

So it looks like we could build a huge chunk of the Relief Line with this money. This plan is certainly better than any of the other Scarborough Subway proposals. But it's politically dangerous.

Last edited:
Kelly's proposal is to use the Sheppard LRT and Fed money to build the Sheppard Subway, without any new taxes, and use the tax hikes on the DRL. Now, you would need around $2.5 billion to build the Sheppard extension assuming $330 million per km, so you would need most ($840 million of the $940 million) of the tax hikes to actually build it.

What would work would be the Sheppard subway extension, Provincial B-D extension, and around $100 million left to bring the DRL up to around the same level the Yonge extension is currently, and get the construction period accelerated. Once (if) the Provincial Transit tax kicks in, it could be on an accelerated timetable compared to now and be finished around the same time as the other subway extensions.

Last edited:
Oh wow. I thought we were talking about extending the LRT. Looks like I misunderstood the article.

Anyways his actual plan is awful. It doesn't even come close to being enough to fund it and the DRL. Can't believe he'd come out in public and propose such nonsense.

Last edited:

Back