News   Apr 30, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

TransLink has stated that the technologies are not proprietary:

Lol dont bother, this was ALL over the news, and all I ever hear about the skytrain and RT technology from nearly everyone is "its a proprietary technology that is patented so only Bombardier can make it"

Wait, what is the 7 stop LRT ???
The one on the right.

1608162649426.png

Quite the contrary to Matlow, at this point a switch back to the LRT would likely result in even more delays. The tunnel contract for the subway is supposed to close in 3-4 months, with construction starting shortly thereafter. Utility relocations are already occurring. Switching to the LRT would introduce several more years of delays.

Quite the contrary to Matlow, at this point a switch back to the LRT would likely result in even more delays.
Agreed. I think this is really an “I told you so” motion. It’s not helpful with moving the project forward, but what’s frustrating is that we don’t seem to have learned much from the SSE debacle.

My hypothesis is that the underlying problem is funding-related, and everything to do with unreasonable expectations from Council. Without a predictable stream of capital/operations funding from the Federal/provincial governments and general willingness to levy taxes earmarked for transit improvements, anyone can propose a “vision”. Planning starts, and then there’s the inevitable sticker shock and jockeying when prices firm up. Then you’ve gotta go cap in hand, the project gets sniped, changed, costs go up...

EDIT: Just wanted to say that I think Matlow shouldn’t have bothered. Let’s just accept that the SSE is going on, and try to run the next city-controlled project better.

Agreed. I think this is really an “I told you so” motion. It’s not helpful with moving the project forward, but what’s frustrating is that we don’t seem to have learned much from the SSE debacle.

My hypothesis is that the underlying problem is funding-related, and everything to do with unreasonable expectations from Council. Without a predictable stream of capital/operations funding from the Federal/provincial governments and general willingness to levy taxes earmarked for transit improvements, anyone can propose a “vision”. Planning starts, and then there’s the inevitable sticker shock and jockeying when prices firm up. Then you’ve gotta go cap in hand, the project gets sniped, changed, costs go up...

EDIT: Just wanted to say that I think Matlow shouldn’t have bothered. Let’s just accept that the SSE is going on, and try to run the next city-controlled project better.
If it wasn't for the BS that subways are a must with no regard how to pay for it to be built and OM after the fact when it can't be justify in the first place, riders would be seeing a better transit system now. If the plan remain as purposed, the SRT would be gone, riders riding an LRT to Melvern and a branch line on Sheppard to the east of it as well would be in operation 2 years ago.

Wait until riders are force off every other train or 2 and have to wait at Kennedy for that train that will take them to STC and hear what they have to say about doing it.

Matlow doing his job.

Still faster to build the LRT than the subway at this stage as well being cheaper to build.

Wait until riders are force off every other train or 2 and have to wait at Kennedy for that train that will take them to STC and hear what they have to say about doing it.

Not a big problem. Line 1 was operating like that in the AM rush pre-Covid; maybe still does (but I am WFH and can't check myself). Noone complained.

And Matlow's energy would be better spent doing something for his own constituents. Rather than re-hashing a debate he can't win, concerning a part of the city he never visits.

ICTS may not be suitable in places that have too much snow.

Perhaps they could build the LRT in addition to the subway extension and extend the LRT south to the beaches as well.

ICTS may not be suitable in places that have too much snow.

Perhaps they could build the LRT in addition to the subway extension and extend the LRT south to the beaches as well.
Tbh, I think the ideal use of the RT is just to make it a part of an Ellesmere LRT corridor. The North South segment already parallels the Stouffville Line making the corridor really redundant. Something like an Ellesmere LRT that travels through Scarborough Center on an elevated guideway and turns north to Malvern is my ideal solution.

Back