News   May 01, 2024
 822     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 264     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 335     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Just like the unnecessarily tunneled Spadina extension with unnecessarily large stations which requires more walking through it.

Indeed, it hard to understand why that thing had to be built totally underground. It would be entirely possible to buy a few commercial properties, and get from Sheppard to Finch mostly at grade. Perhaps tunneled under the York U grounds, then at grade again from just north of the CN rail line to Hwy 7.

And Pioneer Village is a pain in the ass transferring to and from busses. Certainly not like Kipling or Victoria Park where you go up or down one floor and the busses are right there.
True, but at least Pioneer Village looks 1000* better than both those stations combined, so you might end up enjoying the walk.

If they're going to make super deep, inconvenient stations, they might as well make them look good. What does suck is transferring between buses and the subway at Sheppard-Yonge (even though the station looks decent). Walking up a set of stairs only to walk down them and back up them again is silly.

Indeed, it hard to understand why that thing had to be built totally underground. It would be entirely possible to buy a few commercial properties, and get from Sheppard to Finch mostly at grade. Perhaps tunneled under the York U grounds, then at grade again from just north of the CN rail line to Hwy 7.
They are certaining more interested disturbing as little amount of people as possible during construction than optimizing rider experience. They claim that TBM will result in less utility relocation hence it's cheaper at the expense of a more expensive station. Everything they do is so short sighted. Maybe a shallower TYSSE would result in less delays. It would only take a couple years to dig the Finch West LRT station than the subway station. We can also see how fast they are proceeding with the Kennedy Crosstown Station.

"The main objectives of the L2EE are to:

a) Improve the connection between Scarborough Centre and the regional higher-order transit network; and
b) Replace the existing Line 3, which is at the end of its service life"

Any fantasy proposal of any technology which has a transfer before Scarborough Centre feeding into a main artery does not achieve the necessary criteria. The only relevant question for this line is now 3 or 4 stops

Last edited:

a) Improve the connection between Scarborough Centre and the regional higher-order transit network; and

Any fantasy proposal of any technology which has a transfer before Scarborough Centre feeding into a main artery does not achieve the necessary criteria. The only relevant question for this line is now 3 or 4 stops
But the LRT is 10 times better because the subway extension is far more expensive and we won't be able to fund other projects like the EELRT(Eglinton East LRT) And like Recce said, we can simply upgrade the RT with a light rail system and make it look nicer and fix all the present problems. And we could have it with full ATO running, platform screen doors. And a potential extension for under the cost of the subway extension. Mind-blowing every politician is in support of this subway extension!

But the LRT is 10 times better because the subway extension is far more expensive and we won't be able to fund other projects like the EELRT(Eglinton East LRT) And like Recce said, we can simply upgrade the RT with a light rail system and make it look nicer and fix all the present problems. And we could have it with full ATO running, platform screen doors. And a potential extension for under the cost of the subway extension. Mind-blowing every politician is in support of this subway extension!

I wholeheartedly disagree but we've been down that road in the appropriate thread.

Which was the point was this is the subway thread for a subway that will actually be built and there are appropriate threads to complain about what you believe are the merits and for others to post their last ditch fantasy plans.

Its great we have a government intent on delivering a fully connected central backbone with stops that is far overdue. Instead of corner cutting nonsense the City council endorsed over the last couple decades. The fact the City and Province are even considering adding a Brimley stop at this stage is truly great news for this line. the area and aside from progress updates its pretty much all that is relevant.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly disagree but we've been down that road in the appropriate thread.

Which was the point was this is the subway thread for a subway that will actually be built and there are appropriate threads to complain about what you believe are the merits and for others to post their last ditch fantasy plans.

Its great we have a government intent on delivering a fully connected central backbone with stops that's far overdue. Instead of corner cutting nonsense the City concocted over decades.

The fact they are even considering the Brimley stop at this stage is great news for this line and the area and its pretty much all that is relevant these days.
This is a very cheery and positive post. While I don’t agree with everything you said, I do agree that it is good that the subway is moving forward. HOWEVER, you forgot to mention that the timeline for the completing of the extension has been delayed.

Last edited:
This is a very cheery and positive post. While I don’t agree with everything you said, I do agree that it is good that the subway is moving forward. HOWEVER, you forgot to mention that the timeline for the completing of the extensions has been delays.

The delays suck. But were talking a couple years at most, not decades and the line is well on the way to being fixed from the skeleton state City council had obliterated it into

Its really not the doomsday many of usual "subway that will never be built" mongers on this site portray. If anything this line will be so far along with stops designed in, supported and urgently needed come next election no party would ever remotely consider overturning. Since we're building on the McCowan corridor I see various benefits in adding the Brimley stop so I'm glad its atleast being explored at both levels of government now.

Last edited:
And no party will ever build. It's in perpetual limbo.

This is a very cheery and positive post. While I don’t agree with everything you said, I do agree that it is good that the subway is moving forward. HOWEVER, you forgot to mention that the timeline for the completing of the extensions has been delays.
When LRT was the plan onecity koffey1 was the biggest troll on here talking about how it's an attack on the suburbs the elite left and their bike riding pink wearing latte sipping residents. Now that the plan has flipped he promotes civility and moving forward. If we had just moved forward with transit city years ago we wouldnt be here debating Scarborough transit. I'm not giving him credit. His new casual approach is simply because for the time being he believes he has won.

When LRT was the plan onecity koffey1 was the biggest troll on here talking about how it's an attack on the suburbs the elite left and their bike riding pink wearing latte sipping residents. Now that the plan has flipped he promotes civility and moving forward. If we had just moved forward with transit city years ago we wouldnt be here debating Scarborough transit. I'm not giving him credit. His new casual approach is simply because for the time being he believes he has won.
I definitely agree. Ironic that the Ford's are fixing the problem they started after cancelling transit city with a new transit plan.

There are (were) fantasy proposals that would have satisfied the criteria, but nobody looked for it. After multiple attempts, they finally got consensus (mayor, council, MPPs, MPs) to build the subway, so they didn't want to risk it and re-open the debate.
I still think something like this would have achieved more widespread support.

I definitely agree. Ironic that the Ford's are fixing the problem they started after cancelling transit city with a new transit plan.

The problem already existed for decades with the RT (which had many design issues in addition to the poor Centre connection) and was about to be made worse adding a transfer Sheppard with support from the previous admin. Ford didn't create the problem he just highlighted a well known 'main criteria' item that was ignored at the forefront of his election campaign. It wasn't only Ford that was running on the subway in 2010 and It also wasn't him that brought the more expensive McCowan line into fruition. It certainly wasn't a Ford that took away all the stops on said line

So its really not ironic. Its basically another Ford going back to address a new yet even more absurd design issue then what was in Transit City with the ridiculous removal of stops on the most expensive corridor and him wanting to ensure a connected Scarborough Centre as was attempted a decade ago. The Ford supported seamless Crosstown LRT, a subway extension on the RT corridor or a more central McCowan corridor with stops were all great options which would have been strongly supported and achieved the main criteria which should have been addressed previously.

Given the polarized nonsense that went on City Hall and also with the inaction of the self proclaimed "subway champion" Provincial Liberals as they stood silent as the line they brought forward was being decimated by the City its truly amazing well end up with such a great connected line with the highly valuable stops.

Last edited:

Back