News   Jul 19, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.6K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 865     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I cringed as Matlow sidetracked from his otherwise very good case for the Scarborough LRT by promoting the importance of the "DLR" right after De Baeremaeker whined about how people downtown get all the good stuff.

I cringed as Matlow sidetracked from his otherwise very good case for the Scarborough LRT by promoting the importance of the "DLR" right after De Baeremaeker whined about how people downtown get all the good stuff.

An now Matlow is saying St.Clair makes more sense than Scarborough. He's being a prick.

Mihevc's speech is what the council should vote on. Not Ford's or De Baeremaeker's

An now Matlow is saying St.Clair makes more sense than Scarborough. He's being a prick.

Mihevc's speech is what the council should vote on. Not Ford's or De Baeremaeker's

I give credit Matlow credit on how hard he is fighting for what he thinks is the right transit choice for Scarborough, but I was put off when he was talking about subways in downtown.

It's De Baeremaeker and Mihevc who are making a great case for the Bloor-Danforth extension. I do hope Stintz gives a fiery speech.

It's too bad that not one councillor saw the opportunity of tying the Scarborough Subway to the DRL. This meeting should have been about approving ongoing funding for both projects and they would both go ahead. I can even imagine Ford voting for it if it meant killing the Sheppard and Scarborough LRT's.

Using the $333M Sheppard Fed money and approving a transit tax in some form would get us on our way to predictable funding for continuous construction of a DRL and Scarbourough subway that would eventually link to Sheppard and onward to Downsview.

A big opportunity in Toronto's history was lost in this election posturing.

"If there was a better way; if there were a DICTATORSHIP, we could probably do it" - Mihevc

Couldn't agree more :rolleyes:

It's too bad that not one councillor saw the opportunity of tying the Scarborough Subway to the DRL. This meeting should have been about approving ongoing funding for both projects and they would both go ahead. I can even imagine Ford voting for it if it meant killing the Sheppard and Scarborough LRT's.

Using the $333M Sheppard Fed money and approving a transit tax in some form would get us on our way to predictable funding for continuous construction of a DRL and Scarbourough subway that would eventually link to Sheppard and onward to Downsview.

Yup.

Heck, I'd be happy if they tied the tax increase to the DRL. A reasonable tax increase would only need to be in place for a few years to fund the B-D extension. It would have been nice to have them commit to keep that revenue stream intact to help fund the City's share of the DRL.

Flaherty's office confirms: $333 million not allocated to "any specific project". "We are currently waiting for proposals" spokesman

Sheppard is on the chopping block...The Feds are beyond cheap consider they "misplaced" 3.1B$ at DND and wasted BILLIONS at the G20...

Sick and tired of the Federal Conservatives

can someone tell me the full cost of the subway including the cost of cancelling the lrt?

No. Nobody, including Metrolinx, TTC, or City Council, knows what this number is yet to a reasonable degree of certainty.

Sheppard is on the chopping block...

Which was the plan all along. Ford's attempted bait and switch will kill the whole thing I think. Several Councillors including both current and former Ford allies are now going to vote No unless amendements are made that satisfy their concerns. The problem is that Federal money for Toronto transit beyond Sheppard's $333M isn't going to materialize over night. This proposal is dead as far as I can tell. LRT it is.

Last edited:
So 3B $ for a 3 stop subway just to save people a transfer, is it only Toronto that has to deal with transfers in this world?

PRIORITIES! That's one thing we lack in Toronto!

If they are willing to borrow over 500M$ to convert to subway at the risk of losing Sheppard, why not use the 500M$ to elevate eastern Eglinton and merge it with the SRT instead?

"Not that I support Sheppard LRT by the way"

Back