News   Aug 23, 2024
 979     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 517     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Back to the cycle track installation and make-over of the Pape-Donlands-Millwood intersection. Photos from yesterday. Looking East from the top of Pape.
1000020739.jpg
1000020740.jpg
1000020741.jpg

Looking north-ish at the island being reconstructed at Pape and Donlands
1000020742.jpg

Looking west-ish from the top of Donlands
1000020743.jpg

I'm not sure how you accomplish that, unless you have a parking garage for your air-conditioned car, in your office building.

Many hot and humid days, I come back from lunch, just having walked 3 or 4 blocks, dripping in sweat. And that's the distance to the closest public parking lot too ...

Working downtown, I'd even change to use transit, before the streetcars were air-conditioned.

For some times of the year, showers are cycling infrastructure. They are useful for other things too - I used to shower in the office after having played soccer over lunch hour.
Though I am glad to find out that many of us shower or towel-off this is REALLY not cycling infrastructure. Time to move on, showered or not!

Another cyclist killed at Bloor/Avenue Road. Someone was killed in this area last fall too. Sad.

Published Thursday, July 25, 2024 9:20AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, July 25, 2024 10:18AM EDT
A cyclist is dead after being struck by a dump truck in downtown Toronto on Thursday morning, police say.
It happened near Bloor Street West and Avenue Road just before 9 a.m.
Police say that the female cyclist was pronounced dead on scene.

Bloor Street is closed in both directions from Avenue Road to Bay Street.

A cyclist is dead after being struck by a dump truck in downtown Toronto…
This is why bike infrastructure should never rely solely on painted lines. We don’t do this for sidewalks, why for bikes?

No dump or construction trucks should be able to turn onto any urban street marked 50 kph or less without a flag man having to get out and guide the truck. Put that cost onto the developers who are blocking our streets while building tiny condos no one wants nor can afford.

spotter-training-video-6-19-638.jpg

Last edited:
This is why bike infrastructure should never rely solely on painted lines. We don’t do this for sidewalks, why for bikes?

No dump or construction trucks should be able to turn onto any urban street marked 50 kph or less without a flag man having to get out and guide the truck. Put that cost onto the developers who are blocking our streets while building tiny condos no one wants nor can afford.

This appears to have occurred outside the cycle track (bike lane)

1721920327334.png

That makes this no less tragic, but I think its premature to presume there was a design issue w/the infra that led to this.

I don't know which side of Avenue they were on, but that westbound bike lane is still an active construction site between Avenue and Spadina.

Isn't that where construction is currently closing off the bike lane going further west? I remember needing to bike using the freshly built eastbound bike line a few weeks ago to continue going west. (by going the wrong way)

Star has bit more detail.

A 24-year-old female cyclist is dead after she was reportedly struck by the driver of a dump truck in downtown Toronto Thursday morning.
Toronto police said the incident occurred in the area of Bloor Street West and Queen’s Park just before 8:50 a.m.
The cyclist was travelling westbound on Bloor Street in the bike lane before police say she left the lane, merging into the westbound vehicle lane, and was then allegedly struck by the truck driver who was also westbound.
She was pronounced dead, and the driver, 39, remained at the scene.
The incident marks the fifth cyclist death this year in Toronto, compared to only one in all of 2023, according to the city’s Vision Zero dashboard. More cyclists have died on Toronto’s streets this year than in the three previous years combined.
The city has seen 10 cyclists seriously injured so far this year, while 2023 saw 35 seriously injured in total.
In an update from Yorkville late Thursday morning, Toronto police Acting Duty Insp. Jason Bartlett said investigators are looking for witnesses who were in the area at the time of the incident.
When asked about concerns by cyclists over potential hazards posed by construction in the area, Bartlett said the ongoing road work is something officers are investigating as a possible factor.
JP Fontenelle was cycling to work when he came across the victim lying on the roadway and believed she was still alive at that time. He said he immediately stopped to see if he could help and learned someone already called 911.
“As I passed by I saw there was a lot of blood,” he said. “It didn’t look good.”
He said he saw a dumpster blocking a section of the bike lane, which he believes was connected to the road work in the area.
“Between 8 and 9 a.m. that region of the city is pretty busy … One of the problems there that I find is that Bloor Street is a little bit narrow and you still have parking. So there’s a lot of merging,” Fontenelle said.
He added that he frequently sees people parking in bike lanes in the area.
“You see that on many of the bigger roads in Toronto and I think it’s a problem. I don’t think it’s enforced properly. It’s hard to feel safe on the bike lane when cars and trucks … don’t respect the space of the bike lane,” Fontenelle said.
Fontenelle cycles to and from work regularly in the area but said he will now consider avoiding that route.
“I would be lying if I say that I’m fully relaxed and feel 100 per cent safe.”
The last death of a cyclist in Toronto occurred nearby, when a 39-year-old male e-bike rider was struck and killed by a truck driver on April 30 at Avenue Road and Elgin Avenue. It’s a particularly dangerous stretch of Avenue Road, between Davenport Road and Bloor Street, where three cyclists have been killed in the past nine years.
The city is in the midst of safety improvements to the stretch of Avenue Road, which includes separated bike lanes, increased pedestrian space and reduces car lanes from six to four. Installation of the bike lanes started in mid-July.
Road closures are in place due to the collision at Bloor Street West in both directions from Avenue Road to Bay Street.
Drivers are advised to avoid the area as police continue their investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Toronto police’s 53 Division at 416-808-5300.

This was opened this weekend and decided to take a few shots. I imagine was opened temporarily because of the dragon boat festival on frenchman's bay... Almost done...

View attachment 568952View attachment 568953View attachment 568954View attachment 568955View attachment 568956
Now fully opened.

Edit: added images courtesy city of pickering and mayor tweets:
GTWenbPXwAAl4KO.jpg

GTW4doGXEAA483w.jpg

Last edited:
Star has bit more detail.

A 24-year-old female cyclist is dead after she was reportedly struck by the driver of a dump truck in downtown Toronto Thursday morning.
Toronto police said the incident occurred in the area of Bloor Street West and Queen’s Park just before 8:50 a.m.
The cyclist was travelling westbound on Bloor Street in the bike lane before police say she left the lane, merging into the westbound vehicle lane, and was then allegedly struck by the truck driver who was also westbound.
She was pronounced dead, and the driver, 39, remained at the scene.
The incident marks the fifth cyclist death this year in Toronto, compared to only one in all of 2023, according to the city’s Vision Zero dashboard. More cyclists have died on Toronto’s streets this year than in the three previous years combined.
The city has seen 10 cyclists seriously injured so far this year, while 2023 saw 35 seriously injured in total.
In an update from Yorkville late Thursday morning, Toronto police Acting Duty Insp. Jason Bartlett said investigators are looking for witnesses who were in the area at the time of the incident.
When asked about concerns by cyclists over potential hazards posed by construction in the area, Bartlett said the ongoing road work is something officers are investigating as a possible factor.
JP Fontenelle was cycling to work when he came across the victim lying on the roadway and believed she was still alive at that time. He said he immediately stopped to see if he could help and learned someone already called 911.
“As I passed by I saw there was a lot of blood,” he said. “It didn’t look good.”
He said he saw a dumpster blocking a section of the bike lane, which he believes was connected to the road work in the area.
“Between 8 and 9 a.m. that region of the city is pretty busy … One of the problems there that I find is that Bloor Street is a little bit narrow and you still have parking. So there’s a lot of merging,” Fontenelle said.
He added that he frequently sees people parking in bike lanes in the area.
“You see that on many of the bigger roads in Toronto and I think it’s a problem. I don’t think it’s enforced properly. It’s hard to feel safe on the bike lane when cars and trucks … don’t respect the space of the bike lane,” Fontenelle said.
Fontenelle cycles to and from work regularly in the area but said he will now consider avoiding that route.
“I would be lying if I say that I’m fully relaxed and feel 100 per cent safe.”
The last death of a cyclist in Toronto occurred nearby, when a 39-year-old male e-bike rider was struck and killed by a truck driver on April 30 at Avenue Road and Elgin Avenue. It’s a particularly dangerous stretch of Avenue Road, between Davenport Road and Bloor Street, where three cyclists have been killed in the past nine years.
The city is in the midst of safety improvements to the stretch of Avenue Road, which includes separated bike lanes, increased pedestrian space and reduces car lanes from six to four. Installation of the bike lanes started in mid-July.
Road closures are in place due to the collision at Bloor Street West in both directions from Avenue Road to Bay Street.
Drivers are advised to avoid the area as police continue their investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Toronto police’s 53 Division at 416-808-5300.

Awful.

With the cause appearing to be the bike lane being blocked by (presumably unpermitted construction equipment, I'd think this would fall under the Occupational Health and Safety Act. Has the Ministry of Labour been notified? They are much more likely to take serious action, rather than the thoughts and prayers that TPS do.

Awful.

With the cause appearing to be the bike lane being blocked by (presumably unpermitted construction equipment, I'd think this would fall under the Occupational Health and Safety Act. Has the Ministry of Labour been notified? They are much more likely to take serious action, rather than the thoughts and prayers that TPS do.
That's a huge jump in logic, assuming the equipment was unpermited. The construction, if I remember, was for the new upgraded westbound bike lane!

Back