News   Oct 08, 2024
 130     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 189     0 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

A bicycle lane wide enough to accommodate a fire truck. Replace the center lane with a bidirectional bike lane the width of the center lane (obviously flip the position of the former center lane with one of the curb lanes first). Very easy for bicycles to get out of the way onto the sidewalk and grass on the side of the road for an approaching firetruck.
I don't think I've ever seen that in Canada? especially since it'll force everyone to cross the road on 100% of trips. The only place I can think of with pedestrians in the centre is highway 7 over the 400

I don't think I've ever seen that in Canada? especially since it'll force everyone to cross the road on 100% of trips. The only place I can think of with pedestrians in the centre is highway 7 over the 400
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear what I meant. As I said flip the position of the former center lane with one of the curb lanes first. That is the curb Northbound lane for example would move to replace the center lane, and itself would be replaced with a bidirectional bike lane.

See 6:06 here on the topic:

I am not always a fan of NJB's videos (I think he perhaps exaggerates things at times, especially when it comes to how crappy the state of infrastructure is in North America), but this one makes a lot of good points.

I also don't personally know what view on bike lanes the fire department in Toronto has, and how much they are consulted, if anyone has any info on that, I am curious to learn.

Last edited:

Back