News   Sep 04, 2024
 774     1 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 430     1 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 436     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

There's literally houses and a suburb just south of West Queen. And a massively wide right-of-way on Kipling and West Queen.

To suggest that they don't add bike infrastructure when they are doing future rebuilds is simply trolling.

There's literally houses and a suburb just south of West Queen. And a massively wide right-of-way on Kipling and West Queen.

To suggest that they don't add bike infrastructure when they are doing future rebuilds is simply trolling.
If it's a rebuild that's a fair thing do to! If it's a multi use trail like the North end I doubt most people would be against it. (see photo)
I think grade separating the lanes and adding a multi use trail is indeed a good idea.

From what I remember it won't be like that and they're going to take out the centre lane and add bike lanes on each side. Yes there are houses but unless you're going to bike to the mall or Ikea there isn't anything worth heading to west bound.

1725471232108.png

From what I remember it won't be like that and they're going to take out the centre lane[/B] and add bike lanes on each side. Yes there are houses but unless you're going to bike to the mall or Ikea there isn't anything worth heading to west bound. [/QUOTE]Unless I'm mistaken, Kipling is north-south. It's about 1,500 metres from that suburb to the south entrance of Kipling Station at Munster - which has a bike parking area. On Lakeshore, just south of the tracks, is a high school. There's a big potential pool of cyclists.

As your picture shows, there's a massive amount of right-of-way space on Kipling. It's wide enough for 6 lanes of traffic. So it's wide enough to add bike lanes.

From what I remember it won't be like that and they're going to take out the centre lane[/B] and add bike lanes on each side. Yes there are houses but unless you're going to bike to the mall or Ikea there isn't anything worth heading to west bound.
Unless I'm mistaken, Kipling is north-south. It's about 1,500 metres from that suburb to the south entrance of Kipling Station at Munster - which has a bike parking area. On Lakeshore, just south of the tracks, is a high school. There's a big potential pool of cyclists.

As for North Queen - it terminates in Sherway Gardens. Which has a lot of young employees who can't afford to drive. There's more than enough space between the curb and the sidewalk to add bike lanes.
[/QUOTE]
I feel like this is a misconception, basically all of the lower income people I know drive, as you can't really bike in the winter effectively and the lower wage Jobs aren't tolerant of being late.

I feel like anything aside from a multi use path is the worst case for everyone.

As for Biking to the mall or lake, the TTC has excellent coverage of this area. It's rare to go more than 5 mins without seeing the 44, and the 123 is fairly frequent

Last edited:
If you think everyone is driving, then I don't know what city you are living in.

Also, please fix your quotes.
Your quote is the broken one? Not everyone is driving but based on my own research a lot of the people biking have money for an electric bike or lycra. The majority of low wage workers aren't taking bikes, they're on the TTC

Your quote is the broken one? Not everyone is driving but based on my own research a lot of the people biking have money for an electric bike or lycra. The majority of low wage workers aren't taking bikes, they're on the TTC
Are.you specifically talking about people biking along more "suburban" parts of Toronto? Downton the vast majority of people biking are certainly not in Lycra and the majority are not on an expensive electric bike (except those working for the delivery apps). There is a lot of of people dressed in regular office clothing on Bike Share and commuter bikes.

Bike Share is only like $8.75 + tax per month, very affordable for low wage workers, it's like 3 TTC fares.

Last edited:
Your quote is the broken one?
I haven't quoted any posts in this thread today. It's your post - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/cycling-infrastructure-separated-bike-lanes.15478/post-2133211

Not everyone is driving but based on my own research a lot of the people biking have money for an electric bike or lycra. The majority of low wage workers aren't taking bikes, they're on the TTC
I wouldn't take a bike down Kipling until they improve the cycling infrastructure and separated bike lanes!

But electric bikes? That's not what I see most of the time.

Back