News   Oct 03, 2024
 15     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 3.3K     1 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 614     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

View attachment 591229

Walking down Gladstone yesterday - the section between Peel and Queen only have painted lanes, instead of any protection/curb/etc between cars and cycling - anybody know why? seems like the ROW is wide enough have protected cycling while still having space for emergency vehicles

The car lanes are as narrow as you're going to get.

The space you seek is occupied on the right by parked cars.

The parking should, ideally, have been eliminated in favour of physical separation. But that just wasn't on back when this was designed.

That's unfortunate, nothing that can't be worked on over time, but haven't just done a reconstruction here, this will probably stay this way for a quite awhile.

View attachment 591229

Walking down Gladstone yesterday - the section between Peel and Queen only have painted lanes, instead of any protection/curb/etc between cars and cycling - anybody know why? seems like the ROW is wide enough have protected cycling while still having space for emergency vehicles
Paint is not infrastructure. When are our municipal planners and their overseers going to understand this? Sidewalks are never separated from cars by paint, neither should cycle lanes.

Even if we had a hardened separation here, the cyclist is still exposed when he enters the intersection. I'm not sure what infrastructure improvements, beyond removing the cyclist entirely, would have made a difference when the risk is a speeding truck that makes an illegal right turn across your path.

What I would like to see are rules that no multi-axle commercial vehicle can operate in the city without a 2nd crewman serving as a spotter - and our spotter must get out of the truck before turning at any intersection within the city where the speed limit is 40 kph or less (Bloor and Dufferin streets where this occurred is 40 kph max).
The radius of the corner is large enough to support relatively fast turns as the truck performed here. So at minimum the corner could be hardened with the truck aprons to encourage slower speeds and looking. Beyond that, I think there would be room for a protected intersection here, especially if the westbound cycle lanes were shifted north into the sidewalk.

The car lanes are as narrow as you're going to get.

The space you seek is occupied on the right by parked cars.

The parking should, ideally, have been eliminated in favour of physical separation. But that just wasn't on back when this was designed.

That's unfortunate, nothing that can't be worked on over time, but haven't just done a reconstruction here, this will probably stay this way for a quite awhile.
Agreed on the parking - no need here

But even with it, I'm wondering if there's a specific design guideline that prevented adding a physical barrier here? or was this a political decision?

For example, Wellington is approx the same width (from Niagara to Strachan) and it has nice separated facilities, so why wouldn't Gladstone have the same treatment, especially if the two (presumably) will eventually be connected to each other via Sudbury

I see this diagram in the City's design guideline for cycling infrastructure - a combination of lower speed and/or traffic flow could've led to the decision to only have a "Designated" facility rather than a "Physically Separated" facility

But then in the notes it says "It is always acceptable to provide a facility with a higher level of separation than indicated" - so why didn't it happen on this section of Gladstone? - does it have to do with Note 3. was it not technically 'feasible' here, if so why?

Maybe I gotta dig more in this doc

1724703200482.png

View attachment 591229

A more ambitious city would have expropriated a foot or two of those properties on the east side and built the dividers. The overhead wires would have been gone as well. Slimmer street poles with buried utilities would have reduced the amount of expropriation needed to get the extra space (or eliminated it altogether).

Many cities would see all the development on the west side, which increases the tax base significantly, as worthy of supporting with top-quality infrastructure for an economically stable and prosperous future.

A more ambitious city would have expropriated a foot or two of those properties on the east side and built the dividers. The overhead wires would have been gone as well. Slimmer street poles with buried utilities would have reduced the amount of expropriation needed to get the extra space (or eliminated it altogether).

Many cities would see all the development on the west side, which increases the tax base significantly, as worthy of supporting with top-quality infrastructure for an economically stable and prosperous future.
Doing this might have been a good idea BUT it would have meant the project taking YEARS longer to complete (expropriation is a lengthy process) and getting utilities to bury wires is not only costly but a lifetime's work. You need to remember the old adage "Perfect is the enemy of good".

Agreed on the parking - no need here

But even with it, I'm wondering if there's a specific design guideline that prevented adding a physical barrier here? or was this a political decision?

Retaining parking is a political decision.

Once that decision is made, you have certain requirements for how wide things have to be.

A parking lane is generally ~2.5M, a drive lane is typically 3.0-3.3M (usually the latter if its a curb lane and/or has truck or bus traffic.)

A bike lane itself would generally aim to be 1.8M-2.2M across, but can be as small as 1.5M

To add a buffer generally requires an additional 0.2M minimum (You can't eat into bike lane itself or the vehicle lane)

In the case of Gladstone, you have parking, 2 travel lanes for cars, and 2 bike lanes

Using the measurements I gave above, you can't even fit in what you see, meaning the bike lanes and vehicle lanes are both probably on the small side.

A plausible option would be to do a 3M, 2-way cycle track on one side, but that wasn't the option chosen. Its also tight.

For example, Wellington is approx the same width (from Niagara to Strachan) and it has nice separated facilities, so why wouldn't Gladstone have the same treatment, especially if the two (presumably) will eventually be connected to each other via Sudbury

I don't work for the City and can't provide that level of insight, except to note that Wellington is generally about 2M wider (15M vs 13M), Wellington's new design also delivers a 2-way cycle track, which takes up less space than 2 one-way tracks, and requires only one buffer.

Edit to add, you can see some UT discussion of this design when it was first contemplated, over here: (starting with @smably 's post, then moving on to my thoughts at the time.)

There's a link there to the project page, which is still up:

I'll bring forward the cross-section so you can see how space is allocated:

1724707832727.png

So you can see the parking lane is sub optimal, the bike lanes are the bare minimum size and so are the car lanes. There's no wiggle room.

The solution here was eliminating the parking, sigh.

To compare, the Wellington design can be found here:

It shows cross-sections but w/o the measurements, but its still illustrative.

Last edited:
Another tender call for work on UNIVERSITY that will, I assume result in better bike lanes. The pipes they are replacing (1873 and 1876) are clearly 'pretty old".

Open Solicitation Record​

Request for Tenders for Watermain and Substandard Water Service Replacements, Bikeway Construction, and Major Road Resurfacing on University Avenue
High Level Category: Construction Services Document Type: RFT Document
Number: Doc 4725747983 Ariba Discovery Posting Link:https://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/20566090Publish
Date: August 26, 2024
Issue Date:A ugust 26, 2024
Submission Deadline: September 20, 2024 at 12:00 Noon

Project Description - In general, the work to be completed on University Avenue includes:

• Replacement of the existing 300 mm and 600 mm diameter watermains across Dundas Street West using Cap and Lag or approved equivalent trenchless method
• Replacement of the existing 150 mm diameter Cast Iron (CI) watermain (1876) with a new 300 mm diameter Molecularly Oriented Polyvinyl Chloride (PVCO) watermain for a distance of approximately 930 m and water service transfer to
new watermain from College Street to 120 m north of Queen Street West.
• Replacement of the existing 600 mm diameter CI watermain (1873) with a new 600 mm diameter butt welded steel pipe with concrete encasement and cement lining watermain for a distance of approximately 930 m from College Street to
120 m north of Queen Street West.
• Transfer water service to new watermain.
• Replacement of all substandard water services.
• Major road resurfacing between College Street to 120 m north of Queen Street West, from curb-to curb, including all required traffic control, drainage, curb alignment modification, and any other requirements to facilitate road resurfacing
works.
• Intersection improvements and bikeway improvements from College Street to Dundas Street West
• Road Classification: Major

Reactions: rbt
For several months I've been cycling on Bloor from Sherbourne to Ossington and back. I cannot think of a single instance where there was not construction blocking the separated bike lanes where cyclists are expected to either merge with vehicular traffic or dismount and merge onto the sidewalk with pedestrian traffic. Will we ever see a time where one can cycle those short 4 kms on Bloor from Sherbourne to Ossington without disruption?

Last edited:
For several months I've been cycling on Bloor from Sherbourne to Ossington and back. I cannot think of a single instance where there was not construction blocking the separated bike lanes where cyclists are expected to either merge with vehicular traffic or dismount and merge onto the sidewalk with pedestrian traffic. Will we ever see a time where one can cycle those short 4 kms on Bloor from Sherbourne to Ossington without disruption?
Perhaps not in this next ten year period.

Back