News   Sep 16, 2024
 209     1 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 414     0 
News   Sep 16, 2024
 768     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

1723560003640.png

I can see a problem with these protected intersections: When more than a couple of cyclists start lining up at the "STOP HERE" line, the image left -> image right bike traffic would be blocked by them.

I guess the "stop here" makes sense for the cyclists who are making a left turn, but I feel like cyclists should otherwise stop behind the pedestrian crosswalk.

COLLEGE STREET

Construction Update #27

The City of Toronto is continuing their efforts to complete upgrades to the existing bike lanes to separated cycle tracks.

The new elevated cycle tracks along College Street, from Manning Avenue to Spadina Avenue, and the separated cycle tracks from Spadina Avenue to Bay Street have been installed and are now operational.

Over the next few months, the contractor will continue completing restoration work on the tree pits and the bioretention planters at Borden Street, Major Street, Palmerston Avenue, Lippincott Avenue, and Brunswick Avenue. This work is best performed in cooler weather to avoid potential harm to the trees.

The final activation of the remaining bike signal at Borden Street is still in progress and is expected to be completed in the coming months. This work will involve installing a new utility pole and replacing sections of the sidewalk near the pole on the south side of College Street at Borden Street. We will provide further updates before this work begins.

Thank you for your understanding during construction.

Update from Pape/Donlands/Millwood. The slip lane from Pape to Donlands is mostly done, as are the bike lanes. Construction is mostly on the north side of Donlands East of the bridge -- sidewalks and curb replacement.

Looking East across Pape to Donlands, with the bridge to the left. This is frankly dangerous as a pedestrian as the walk signals are active, but the southbound signals are green for cars!
1000021700.jpg

From the east side, looking down Pape:
1000021701.jpg

East island looking north to the bridge, showing edge of current construction:
1000021704.jpg

Looking along cycle track (down Donlands) towards it's sudden end:
1000021705.jpg

And looking back along the slip lane toward Pape, with the SE bound cycle track on the right:
1000021706.jpg

Edit: typo

Last edited:
University Avenue seems to have the best cycling tracks.

But there is always this one driver. I made sure to get him out of the cycle lane!

View attachment 588279
And how did you do that exactly? Most people these days just double-down on abhorrent behaviour when called out. There's no shame anymore.

And how did you do that exactly? Most people these days just double-down on abhorrent behaviour when called out. There's no shame anymore.

Rumor: @Andy_in_Toronto in his cycling gear:*

1723713065065.png

source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/ 621144973577481738[/MEDIA]

Apparently this helps incent cooperation...... or so I here!

* or I could just be making it up entirely. Credit embedded and source through the link provided, just remove the space in front of the 6

or some how don't even realize they did something wrong. Called out a taxi driver for cutting off a streetcar, he seemed shocked and didn't even realize the effect of his actions.

Back