News   Jun 25, 2024
 79     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 757     2 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 517     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Just a reminder to those interested that the Danforth-Kingston consultations kick off tonight. First one is virtual, and then tomorrow the first in-person event.

1718747168110.png

The virtual one requires pre-registration, the link is here:

@TwinHuey

The city's "new" ESRI-based cycling network map that replaced their old Google Maps one has been brought up a bit recently. I've been trying to make the most of it, and appreciate the work that went into building it.

However there are a lot of strange things in this map, some of which I think could be easily fixed. I've been communicating with the Cycling dept about it, but I am not convinced they care about my opinions.

First off, using the mobile version via browser (in my case Firefox or Chrome on Android) as there is no standalone app, is horribly hard to read street names on and generally navigate. There is no full-screen option, and the fonts never get any bigger, even at maximum zoom.

View attachment 573660View attachment 573661

Contrast this to Google Maps, which uses colour and fonts to much better effect.

View attachment 573662View attachment 573663

No, the city is not Google and they are working with more limited tools and resources, but it doesn't mean you can't learn from others.

The lack of full-screen? The bizarre clustering of bike lanes into single pins with a number when zoomed out? These things make no sense in the context of this mapping tool.

The teardrop bike-lane markers look like Bike Share dock logos, at least in the old Bike Share app which most people still have.

The city map also has "bike stations" in the filter, which everyone I have spoken too thinks means bike share spots. They actually mean underground bike parking stations. I don't think these are numerous or well known enough, so maybe this will help with that, but it's confusing.

To me, pie in the sky, but synergizing (i.e. combining) this app with Bike Share OR differentiating the style and nomenclature would be preferred.

Another weird thing: I looked at another city map based on the same ESRI platform, and it was much better!

Look at this desktop version of a "Cool Spaces" map for the current heatwave (right) and contrast it with the same area on the cycling map (left)

View attachment 573667View attachment 573666
You can see both are ESRI maps with all the same deets at the bottom. BUT the cycling map has a smaller window, with no full-screen button. The cooling map is bigger and has such a button.

The use of colour on the cooling map is superior (to my eyes) compared to the greyscale used on the cycling map.

Maybe UX folks wanted to mute the cycling map colours to make the lanes themselves more prominent, but I don't think this was the right choice. The readability of the street name fonts etc. on the cooling map is just better at the same zoom as the cycling equivalent.

Anyway, some of these seem like minor quibbles, but when you're trying to use this map on the road, in the sun on a phone screen it comes nearly unusable.

This is why most people use a tool like Google Maps, but sadly the information it uses for bike lanes is not accurate or held to any accountability. The city should keep working at this until it's great.
Agreed with most of what you said.

Openstreetmaps and tools that utilize are generally better than this, but subject to user input error.

I imagine these maps won't indicate closures/detours? Another reason why I prefer the community sourced option...

Just a reminder to those interested that the Danforth-Kingston consultations kick off tonight. First one is virtual, and then tomorrow the first in-person event.

View attachment 573670

The virtual one requires pre-registration, the link is here:

@TwinHuey

Just got off the Danforth Kingston virtual meeting.

For those of you who were not participating and are curious, I'll be brief.

I was blown away at how well prepared the City staff were and how concisely they presented the information. Nicely done!
Councillor Ainslie participated for the entire meeting. He gave opening remarks and was very supportive.
Councillor Kandavel (my councillor) also participated. He said he is supportive of protected cycle lanes if there is no reduction in traffic lanes. However, he left the meeting right after his opening remarks.
Almost all of the participant comments were positive.
I was half expecting some nastiness but was pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:
I presume the widest section in that last image is providing space for cyclists turning onto Gerrard. I just hope there is some kind of barrier in place to prevent a driver from treating this like a pickup/drop off zone for the hospital.

where there is a Toronto driver, there is a way

Or as some would have me say: where there is a precious, well-to-do, heart of gold, just trying to make ends meet suburbanite driver, there is a way

Last edited:
I failed to take a picture, but Carlaw Ave. from Danforth north to Cruikshank Ave. was closed for road resurfacing yesterday. Given the cycling infrastructure proposed for Logan Ave. nearby, is this a part of that project, or just road resurfacing? As a frequent user, it didn't strike me as a particularly bad surface in need of repair.

The area is a classic spot for illegally parked cars on both sides of the road and is tricky to navigate by bike, very similar to Logan and Danforth, near the Alexandar the Great Parkette that was commented on recently. It would be awesome to have a cycling right of way or lane here.

I'll stick this here; In brief mention in the Planning Report to next week's Metrolinx Board Mtg........

Secure bicycle parking at their stations is proving popular, such that 4 facilities are at capacity.

1718977954321.png

From: https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/upload/v1718902964/Documents/Jun_27_Item_17.4_-_Planning_En.pdf

These are clearly small numbers.........but really great progress; I think, the potential is easily there to double the user rate over 2 years and quadruple it over 4. While that would still be small by Dutch standards, it would be a leap forward here.

Want to bring this up again. Etobicoke MPP wants to remove bike lanes from bloor:
https://christinehogarthmpp.ca/listen-to-residents-remove-bike-lanes-on-bloor-street/

This is insane, we need to educate her and residents. More lanes for cars will never solve traffic! I gave her my feedback already, I encourage you to spend a minute and complete a survey:
https://christinehogarthmpp.ca/bike-lanes-survey/

How many more years will it take to change car culture in Toronto... Especially on Bloor, there's a subway line all the way. From one of the comments:
A mother said: “I cannot get 3 kids to High Park for soccer practice during rush hour on a bike. My alternative is to choose a program that does not require me to drive along Bloor Street.”

Ugh, why driving along bloor? Take subway, and its free for kids! Almost every station now has an elevator in case of having a stroller. Too bad it will take another year to finish High Park station... But you get my point.

I'm sorry, I just come across these people all the time. One guy said to me once: Adelaide and Richmond bike lanes need to be removed, it's impossible to drive anymore. Funny enough, he's driving to downtown to work every day from Liberty village! This is insane, why? I just can't understand.

This is insane, we need to educate her and residents. More lanes for cars will never solve traffic

I broadly agree with the above..........and I support the cycle tracks here, period. but....

How many more years will it take to change car culture in Toronto... Especially on Bloor, there's a subway line all the way. From one of the comments:
A mother said: “I cannot get 3 kids to High Park for soccer practice during rush hour on a bike. My alternative is to choose a program that does not require me to drive along Bloor Street.”

See here's the thing........you seem to presume the woman in question is living right on Bloor or at least immediately adjacent. While that's possible, its improbable. Statistically, she's probably anywhere from 2-7 blocks from Bloor.

Three kids is a lot. Are they all wearing cleats? Not very practical on the bus/sidewalk/subway.

Don't get me wrong, I still unequivocally favour the cycle tracks, as I noted above. However, I think its important to realize that some trips are much easier by car, and if not impossible by transit and/or bike, simply wouldn't be made, for reasons of time and convenience. If this woman had to walk her kids 15M to transit, and for argument's sake take the subway, which was then competitive w/the car to the entrance of High Park, but you then needed to walk another 5M into the park to get to the field, you've just added 20 minutes after work, on top of the 15 she previously committed to this activity, that's now 35 minutes, except, she's probably not staying for the practice, most parents don't. So she then has to go back home, then back to retrieve the kids, then home again........... So you've just tacked on 1hr, 20M of travel, probably 2-3x per week.

Ugh, why driving along bloor? Take subway, and its free for kids! Almost every station now has an elevator in case of having a stroller. Too bad it will take another year to finish High Park station... But you get my point.

See above, I think there's an 80% chance this trip happens by car, or does not happen at all.

But that doesn't mean we nix the cycle tracks.

I just think you're going after the wrong complainer.

The reason she finds Bloor so congested is not all the moms/dads ferrying their kids to soccer. Its all the commuters, its all the grocery trips , its the local visiting etc.

The target then is get those people out of their cars............and yes, that does take time.

You will not shift a statistically significant portion of those over 45 who have been drivers for 25+ years out of their established habit quickly. They own a car (or two), they are probably more than a 10 minute walk to the subway, they may view the bus with suspicion and it may be crowded or infrequent, and their established, preferred habits don't align well with transit. They may also not be in shape to bike, nor own bikes for every member of the household.

Its not a sudden switch. Its an incremental process that mostly focuses on the young (teens and twenty--somethings), and it takes time to build up carsharing, bikeshare, cycle tracks, neighbourhood shops, more frequent, less crowded buses, amenitized stops, accessible, attractive subway stations..........with public washrooms and so on.

I mean lets remember, there were no cycle tracks here a year ago, would you have expected most people to cycle along Bloor without them? They weren't, and mostly still aren't. It will change, but definitely not an overnight thing.

I'm sorry, I just come across these people all the time. One guy said to me once: Adelaide and Richmond bike lanes need to be removed, it's impossible to drive anymore. Funny enough, he's driving to downtown to work every day from Liberty village! This is insane, why? I just can't understand.

I do. A very high proportion of residents of LV drive downtown. Why? Because we didn't build them a GO Station on the K-W line, there is no subway nearby, GO Service was hourly on Lakeshore when most residents moved in, King Street is a bit of a walk for many residents in the towers, and the King Car was notoriously unreliable, slow, and crowded.

That's not how we should have built this place. But its how we did build it.

Changing the mindset will take time and money.

How do we change things a bit faster? Think in complete thoughts.

By which I mean, look at origin/destination for area residents, how do we make those trips more appealing on transit? Implement those changes as quickly as possible; I also mean facilitate carsharing, increased access to Bikeshare, make the nearby subway stations more appealing (aesthetics, washrooms, accessibility, drinking fountains/water-bottle filling stations, retail etc).

One must also address convenient access to grocery for more residents; that's a private sector matter, but there are ways for the City to both facilitate and induce this more quickly.

Push the change through, but add sugar to the medicine to make it go down more easily.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I still unequivocally favour the cycle tracks, as I noted above. However, I think its important to realize that some trips are much easier by car, and if not impossible by transit and/or bike, simply wouldn't be made, for reasons of time and convenience. If this woman had to walk her kids 15M to transit, and for argument's sake take the subway, which was then competitive w/the car to the entrance of High Park, but you then needed to walk another 5M into the park to get to the field, you've just added 20 minutes after work, on top of the 15 she previously committed to this activity, that's now 35 minutes, except, she's probably not staying for the practice, most parents don't. So she then has to go back home, then back to retrieve the kids, then home again........... So you've just tacked on 1hr, 20M of travel, probably 2-3x per week.
Safer cycle infra leads to kids being able to take themselves to soccer practice. The societal expectation/requirement to be a helicopter parent is a major contributor to the collapse in birth rates.

Want to bring this up again. Etobicoke MPP wants to remove bike lanes from bloor:
https://christinehogarthmpp.ca/listen-to-residents-remove-bike-lanes-on-bloor-street/

This is insane, we need to educate her and residents. More lanes for cars will never solve traffic! I gave her my feedback already, I encourage you to spend a minute and complete a survey:
https://christinehogarthmpp.ca/bike-lanes-survey/

You'd need a pretty strong death impulse to live in Liberty Village. So choosing to suffer through traffic fits the profile.

Jokes aside, once people buy a car, the perceived marginal cost and time associated with choosing transit starts to increase. We own a car downtown and it is a conscious choice to take transit even though it takes longer and we're paying more on top of insurance, etc. (mainly to avoid the stress of downtown drivers). But, it just makes your life more expensive overall. Also, a lot of the LV buildings were built before parking maximums I believe (likely had minimums), so with a parking spot included, it's hard not to want to fill it.

LV residents will insist Exhibition is too far, King St is too far, etc., but they literally drive to the Metro in that bizarre strip mall in the middle of LV, so the mindset is hard ingrained.

Oh also, once you have a dog (which they all do), transit and biking are no longer really options.

Safer cycle infra leads to kids being able to take themselves to soccer practice. The societal expectation/requirement to be a helicopter parent is a major contributor to the collapse in birth rates.

I'm going to disagree here.

While, I dislike helicopter parenting, if the woman in the example has 3 kids, chances are her youngest is under 10. I don't see 90% of parents today, or in the 1970s expecting their kid to bike from somewhere near Bloor/Jane, to High Park, go to Soccer practice and then bike back, probably after 8pm at night............

Doesn't seem at all likely.

Cleated shoes on bike pedals aren't great either, and changing at practice means carrying the extra foot gear with you.

As someone who didn't have a helicopter parent, and who took transit for 1hr each day to school at the age of 10 (bus, subway, transfer, subway, bus), I'm pro free-range parenting. But ya know, even I got a drive to soccer practice, which was 3km away, after a 10-hour day of commuting and school.

This next bit is quite the tangent, so lets not run too far with it in this thread, which is about cycling, not birth rates............but.....

Also, birth rates falling directly correlate to the cost of housing, the cost of children, and to women starting child-bearing later because of education and employment. To be clear, I am in no way opposed to the latter, however, women do have a much more difficult time conceiving after the age of 30, with greater need for IVF and higher rates of failed pregnancy, and there's simply less time remaining on the proverbial biological clock. Nothing wrong w/all this, I'm all in favour of women (and men) having that choice and not feeling compelled to skip out on school or work to start family at 22, 24, or 26. But that will impact birth rates.

I'm fine with a falling population, I may add. But I think we need to allocate cause and effect properly.

Ask why people don't have a second or a third child and the leading reasons will be cost, insufficient housing, and time.

See this report:

From the above:

1719021040791.png

The Stats.Can work can be found here:

Back