News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.7K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Adelaide St & York St intersection new protected bike island ..
but the cyclist are confused and using the outer side to go throughView attachment 568571
View attachment 568574
I rode through here yesterday and was the only cyclist to actually follow the painted lines. Unfortunately pedestrians were all over the bike path and I got squeezed into that curb and hit my pedal on it. If this is the final design, it will definitely need some revisions.

Work is scheduled for this now and pushed until summer '24. The path below will be closed starting Monday. Detour signage will be posted.

View attachment 517079
Source
This was opened this weekend and decided to take a few shots. I imagine was opened temporarily because of the dragon boat festival on frenchman's bay... Almost done...

IMG_20240602_125845.jpgIMG_20240602_125839.jpgIMG_20240602_125837.jpgIMG_20240602_125820.jpgIMG_20240602_125737.jpg

Especially tonight with a bike festival of some sort going on and people of all ages and stages participating in the 30 km(?) route.
Sounds like you were there for the Tour la Nuit on Friday, which is a large group night ride around Montreal. It's followed by the even bigger Tour de l'Île on Sunday. I've done both of those events a couple of times over a decade ago. Soooooo much fun. I highly recommend doing those rides if you ever get a chance. They're super chill, sometimes feeling like a rolling party. Some people get all kinds of funky lights going for Tour la Nuit, and some fun outfits for Tour de l'Île. Often some art and performance displays along the way. I believe they always change up the routes too, so you get to see different parts of the island.

Oh man...now I'm already thinking that we need to plan to do that again.

new contra flow bike lanes coming to York St (south of Adelaide) ?
View attachment 568575
Not a cyclist, so I'm ignorant on the subject. Why don't they just paint the cyclist sections green like they do up in York region?

Drivers in the winter time are going to end up running over these things. Plus these dividers are probably going to end up getting hit by the the snow plows.

Not a cyclist, so I'm ignorant on the subject. Why don't they just paint the cyclist sections green like they do up in York region?

or better yet, pave it with green asphalt so it never fades. I know it's possible to make red asphalt so I would assume green is possible too.

or better yet, pave it with green asphalt so it never fades. I know it's possible to make red asphalt so I would assume green is possible too.

Getting brightly coloured asphalt through dye alone could be a challenge..........

But yes, its done:

From the above:

1717435751612.png

1717435775594.png

Easier to get bright colours w/sealer over the top:

Specifically, this is what you normally see on 'Green' bike lanes:

I think red is used in NL partly because it is more cost effective. I know green is popular in NA, but the bright green is a bit garish and can only be achieved with expensive paint applications, which I find can result in slippery surfaces in winter weather. The expense of paint means it is used sparingly, which makes it less obvious in places where the paint is not applied that paving is for cycling infrastructure. Would be nice if we would/could consider red asphalt additives, which never need to be reapplied for the life of the surface.

Sounds like you were there for the Tour la Nuit on Friday, which is a large group night ride around Montreal. It's followed by the even bigger Tour de l'Île on Sunday. I've done both of those events a couple of times over a decade ago. Soooooo much fun. I highly recommend doing those rides if you ever get a chance. They're super chill, sometimes feeling like a rolling party. Some people get all kinds of funky lights going for Tour la Nuit, and some fun outfits for Tour de l'Île. Often some art and performance displays along the way. I believe they always change up the routes too, so you get to see different parts of the island.

Oh man...now I'm already thinking that we need to plan to do that again.
I think you should. It looked like a heck of a lot of fun. Just walking around and taking it all in was enjoyable. I had to leave the city before Sundays event, but those were the events being celebrated this past weekend. I guess next weekend is Grand Prix weekend and the hotel prices are already ramping up!

I popped by the area. As noted by Gabriel, not a ton to see.

The intersection itself isn't yet being dug up, but temporary traffic lights, not yet active, have been strung.
I took some photos today. They've largely removed the islands from Millwood to Pape and between Pape and Donlands. Photos are from the northeast side.
1000018160.jpg

1000018163.jpg
1000018162.jpg

For those of you who cycle in south Scarborough:

This morning I was going to ride the Highland Creek Trail (one of my favourite loops) for the first time this year.

Highland Creek Loop.jpg

Riding eastbound I was surprised to see the Waterfront Trail closed at the Highland Creek Treatment Plant (Copperfield and Beechgrove).

I had assumed the shoreline work had been completed last year.

IMG_8985.jpeg

Phase 1 was completed and they are now working on Phase 2, with a proposed completion date of June.

IMG_8986.jpeg

I should have checked the TRCA website before riding.

For those of you who cycle in south Scarborough:

This morning I was going to ride the Highland Creek Trail (one of my favourite loops) for the first time this year.

View attachment 569424

Riding eastbound I was surprised to see the Waterfront Trail closed at the Highland Creek Treatment Plant (Copperfield and Beechgrove).

I had assumed the shoreline work had been completed last year.

View attachment 569425

Phase 1 was completed and they are now working on Phase 2, with a proposed completion date of June.

View attachment 569426

I should have checked the TRCA website before riding.

Bummer. You should see the Don Valley trail, it's been nothing but a mud-filled trench for two summers now.

What bugs me is that the city does the demolition work and removing the use of the trails, and then scours the earth to prepare for the replacement trail.... and then seemingly does nothing afterward.

Back