News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 566     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 824     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

What is a “bike-friendly street”? Is it one that has sharrows (hah!)? Is it a low-traffic street? Or one with those “Share the road” signs?

Or are they streets with bike-specific infrastructure such as painted lanes (and if we’re lucky, hardened infra)?

Screenshot 2024-05-18 083605.png

EastGwillimbury.png

I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the plan for East Gwillimbury. York Region is working with the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority (LSRCA) to identify potential route alignment for future trail extensions in East Gwillimbury.

On Road Sections are mainly in the Town of Georgina. A vast majority of that is along Lake Dr which they lowered the speed limit to 30 km/hr. Shared Road signs. There was a Lake Drive Functional Assessment Study done in 2023 to assess options to improve safety without widening.
Based on the first phase of implementation recommended in the study, Council has approved undertaking detailed design of the recommended concepts for Lake Drive extending from Metro Road North at North Gwillimbury Park to Dalton Road. The proposed concept this corridor involves creation of a seasonal one-way (west to east) single lane for vehicles, with a bi-directional multi-use pathway for pedestrians and cyclists. The design will include a transition zone of two-way vehicle lanes with sharrows for the section of Lake Drive approaching Dalton Road from the west.
Lake Drive Functional Assessment https://www.georgina.ca/living-here/roads-and-sidewalks/lake-drive-functional-assessment
Business owners raise concerns over Town’s plan to make Lake Drive one-way https://georginapost.com/2024/01/09...oncerns-over-plan-to-make-lake-drive-one-way/

View attachment 564885
View attachment 564888
I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the plan for East Gwillimbury. York Region is working with the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority (LSRCA) to identify potential route alignment for future trail extensions in East Gwillimbury.

On Road Sections are mainly in the Town of Georgina. A vast majority of that is along Lake Dr which they lowered the speed limit to 30 km/hr. Shared Road signs. There was a Lake Drive Functional Assessment Study done in 2023 to assess options to improve safety without widening.

Lake Drive Functional Assessment https://www.georgina.ca/living-here/roads-and-sidewalks/lake-drive-functional-assessment
Business owners raise concerns over Town’s plan to make Lake Drive one-way https://georginapost.com/2024/01/09...oncerns-over-plan-to-make-lake-drive-one-way/

Georgina Renders:

1716038670254.png

1716038710841.png

I don't think the route goes along Metro Rd N. It's mainly along Lake Drive. It's a 30km/h shared road, though there's recent plans to also make improvements to it.

In terms of what's proposed, I believe you're right, but Metro Road does show was a bike route now on their map:

1716038847516.png

We went biking up the Lower Don Trail today - "they' have clear-cut a section to east of it east/north of Pottery Road . Fixing subsidence from DVP or Enbridge?? Signage says LOWER DON CLOSURE OVERNIGHT FROM MAY 21. Ideas???

We went biking up the Lower Don Trail today - "they' have clear-cut a section to east of it east/north of Pottery Road . Fixing subsidence from DVP or Enbridge?? Signage says LOWER DON CLOSURE OVERNIGHT FROM MAY 21. Ideas???

How far north? The Ontario Line clear cut starts about 1.2km north of Pottery Rd.

Here's the slide deck for the Ontario Line work in the area; which does include stabilization work on the DVP embankment.

If its not that, I'm not sure what it is offhand.

How far north? The Ontario Line clear cut starts about 1.2km north of Pottery Rd.

Here's the slide deck for the Ontario Line work in the area; which does include stabilization work on the DVP embankment.

If its not that, I'm not sure what it is offhand.
Amazing! I think it is the Minton Portal and DVP slope stabilization. Thanks

Cycling Infra upgrades for 2024 - update report to Infrastructure and Environment Ctte next week:

Its good; of note Avenue Road, Bloor to Davenport is among the 7.23km in proposed additions.

1716298466482.png

1716298491697.png

1716298526628.png

Also of note, a piece of infra for the Meadoway:

1716298560000.png

More to come on Avenue Road at the next meeting of TEYCC:

1716298637427.png

1716298837136.png

Lots of other info specific to each project, I may come back and add some bits.

Now for the next round of Cycling news.

Also on next week's I&E agenda is the 2025-2027 Cycling program. This one is in principle w/projects subject to consultation etc.

View attachment 565521

View attachment 565522

More detail to come.
Lots of goodies here for study/design. Dupont, College West, Yonge, 401 crossings at Avenue and Leslie...
Seeing all of the RapidTO corridors are on here - but Dufferin and Jane both only go as far south as Eglinton. I would take that as a hint as to what their plans are with the study areas for those routes, given the road width constraints south of there.

Am I reading approved for future implementation as being furthest away from constructed?

I wouldn't automatically infer that.

For instance, you can see that this applies to a section of Steeles East which is going to be widened, in the case the high level design is substantially complete, but the project will be delivered when Steeles widened.

I wouldn't automatically infer that.

For instance, you can see that this applies to a section of Steeles East which is going to be widened, in the case the high level design is substantially complete, but the project will be delivered when Steeles widened.
But still to be built in the short term? I'm just trying to understand why put items that aren't going to be built in the near term on a map with this title?

But still to be built in the short term? I'm just trying to understand why put items that aren't going to be built in the near term on a map with this title?

The work is currently programmed for 2027. As with anything that's not this year, the exact date is not a lock. But it does fall within the plan time range.

A consultation is coming up on future cycling facilities on Trethewey:

1716314516642.png

Back