News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 821     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

They are real, and they are spectacular.

IMG_3891.jpeg

I was checking out some of the Doors Open sites downtown this afternoon. Used Bike Share and the Bloor and Richmond bike lanes to get around, particularly because the almost-to-be-expected Line 2 security incident causing trains to short turn. I have to say the Richmond lane was were pretty good, wide enough to allow passing, but not quite wide enough for people to ride side-by-side.

The Latest Cycling Infrastructure Report with implementation authorization requests is headed to next week's Infrastructure and Environment Ctte.

From the above:

1685367455957.png

1685367474601.png

There's a few 'process' changes proposed as well, and the following 'housekeeping'

1685367562292.png

Of further interest:

1685368076072.png

Changes to the Bayview-Sheppard and Leslie-Sheppard intersections as part of the Sheppard project (2024)

1685368229489.png

Also from the Sheppard project details:

1685368296610.png

On Superior Avenue in Mimico:

1685368367774.png

1685368397320.png

Handy side benefit of the above, 25 on-street parking spaces removed.

Upgrades of Bike Lane to Cycle track on Dundas East:

1685368600594.png

Also at the Dundas/Coxwell intersection (west side)

Last edited:
I was checking out some of the Doors Open sites downtown this afternoon. Used Bike Share and the Bloor and Richmond bike lanes to get around, particularly because the almost-to-be-expected Line 2 security incident causing trains to short turn. I have to say the Richmond lane was were pretty good, wide enough to allow passing, but not quite wide enough for people to ride side-by-side.
Richmond and Adelaide are both great bike lanes where they are not interrupted by construction.

Richmond and Adelaide are both great bike lanes where they are not interrupted by construction.
Agreed, I wish they would (as planned) move Adelaide lane to the north side soon and put the barriers back! The streetwork from Bathurst to York is now finished - York to Victoria will drag on for another year and at some point they are installing a new watermain from Church to Jarvis.

Given that she has not had to actually do much campaigning, one would hope she articulates some kind of vision at some point, if not before election day not too long after. We don't have the Throne Speech at the municipal level.

When Chow ran in 2014 she proposed 200km of bike lanes in 4 years, I wonder if any of the vision would carry over if she wins.

Almost certainly not.

As bike lane design has evolved towards physical separation, its more expensive per km; it also takes more time to plan/design.

While a prioritized project could, in theory, get out to tender in under a year, in practice, design to construction is about a 3-year lag time.

More money could expedite things, to a point, but you're not getting anything like 200km over 4 years.

Depending on which projects were advanced, I think 100km is entirely plausible; though likely with a bit more $$ and lot more favourable political lean-in.

120km would be 'ambitious' ; and 160km at the outer end of same.

Anything more is likely 'wishful thinking'.

I'm looking enviously at Montreal, where they planned 200 km of new cycle tracks over five years. That is what we should aspire to here.

While I believe 40km a year is plausible in Toronto.....

The near-term implementation plan for 2022-2024 was 100km of lanes over 3 years or 33km per year averaged out.

Still, I would like to point out that Montreal hasn't yet fulfilled that commitment. The intention to do this was announced last November, we're some way off from seeing what gets delivered.

The article itself suggests that cycling advocates in that City have doubts about the City's ability to deliver.

For Sheppard, not a fan of the dedicated right turn lanes. I go through that intersection often and only the EB Sheppard to SB Bayview right turn is over capacity. The other right turns are quite free flowing even in rush.

It makes even less sense having those lanes if there's going to be NROR signal changes.

A waste of space which could have been given to pedestrians and cyclists. That they're considering dual rights is maddening. If any of the directions need the capacity, it's the left turns. Leslie and especially Bayview NB to Sheppard WB are heavily loaded in rush.
I believe dedicated turning lanes are required for separate driving and cyclist/pedestrian phases. People can now just follow their signal, which is what is done in the Netherlands, far better than hoping that drivers see you while turning.

While I admit the intersection looks massive, it's going to be safer than what it was before, and should support the many drivers in the high-traffic area.

Last edited:

Back