News   Apr 25, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 944     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 983     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

Are they actually done construction or will they be adding any bollards to those raised curbs?

I hate those plastic bollards. They dont physically protect bikers and they are an eyesore.

I much rather they had raised that concrete something like 12 inches, similar to how these are

20201029-bike-lane-landsdowne-toronto-1.jpg

I hate those plastic bollards. They dont physically protect bikers and they are an eyesore.

I much rather they had raised that concrete something like 12 inches, similar to how these are

That's what I was thinking. Painted by artists like on Adelaide/Richmond.

Agreed! And affix them to the road so that they don't move. Those concrete curbs used on (e.g.) Danforth get moved occasionally. And don't use those movable planters! People push them into the bike lanes to open up parking spaces or to cause mischief.

Some connectivity improvements have been made in the Downsview Park area. Mostly small extensions and intersection improvements.

Keele & Dovehouse
PXL_20230527_181023287.jpg

Keele & Sheppard
PXL_20230527_181421727.jpg

A new section of bike path on Sheppard completes a missing link in the Sunfield/Sentinal cycling route.
PXL_20230527_183348229.jpg

The former streets now collectively known as the William Baker Trail are essentially multi use trails now. So now there's a continuous path along Keele from Downsview Park Blvd to Dovehouse Ave.
PXL_20230527_180955836.jpg

And the Finch construction seems to be almost done. There's a grass boulevard between the bike lane and the sidewalk; it should have been between the bike lane and the roadway. This kind of design seems to be a stubborn leftover from outdated idea that bikes should be treated as vehicles.
PXL_20230527_184733931.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230527_183435274.jpg
    PXL_20230527_183435274.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20230527_184310047.jpg
    PXL_20230527_184310047.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 29
Just came from College St. There is a decent amount of progress there. I'm impressed with the raised sections.

I didn't realize Wellington was getting lanes. With all the new and upgraded lanes, maybe Toronto will be a major cycling city within a few years

And the Finch construction seems to be almost done. There's a grass boulevard between the bike lane and the sidewalk; it should have been between the bike lane and the roadway. This kind of design seems to be a stubborn leftover from outdated idea that bikes should be treated as vehicles.
View attachment 480583

I think its important to realize that some the designs you're seeing on Finch largely go back to an EA from several years ago; though there were actually improvements made to much of the design.

Its also worth noting that staff are delivering the very concept your talking about on Sheppard this year or next. (landscaped buffer between bikes and cars).

The City's Cycling unit is actually made up of people who cycle, regularly, so they are acutely aware of the need to make better facilities and they are doing that.

But there are always constraints and challenges.

That said, thank you for the excellent and thorough update

I think its important to realize that some the designs you're seeing on Finch largely go back to an EA from several years ago; though there were actually improvements made to much of the design.

Its also worth noting that staff are delivering the very concept your talking about on Sheppard this year or next. (landscaped buffer between bikes and cars).

The City's Cycling unit is actually made up of people who cycle, regularly, so they are acutely aware of the need to make better facilities and they are doing that.

But there are always constraints and challenges.

That said, thank you for the excellent and thorough update
Yes the standards have moved in that direction. Steeles will be similar. And more streets to come.

We in North America are stubbornly trying to reinvent the wheel. Best practice is well documented, and this isn't it. It is obviously nonsensical to put bike lanes with minimal to no segregation next to high speed vehicular traffic. We are continuing to make the mistake of having cross-walks closer to the intersection rather than the bicycle cross-ride. Best practice is to have bicycles closer to the intersection as that is consistent with best practice protected intersection design.

Oh no! He was active on Twitter, and from what I saw, really cared about the outcomes for cyclists.

Did he stay in Toronto or move to a position in another city (if the latter, it is our loss).

He's still with the City he moved elsewhere and up, within Transportation; he's now in the Capital Projects and Program Unit.

He's still working the Active Transportation side of things.

We went to the Doors Open Toronto transportation building on Eastern, and it was a lot of fun. The kid got to climb onto snowplows and salters (both big and tiny!) and I had a nice chat with someone who works on bike lanes. I didn't get his name, but there are a lot of staff really committed to moving this stuff forward. It's just hard in Toronto!

Back