News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 581     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

This is more or less totally useless unless they add bollards (and if those are still to-come, the City should be replicating this all over the place).
Judging by this image from the Pilot Elements and Design, flexible bollards will be installed:

View attachment 265386
The City has begun installing the flexi-posts. I already saw one car blocking the bike lane waiting to turn right on a red.

Woodycrest and Danforth:
AAD6B6D2-8C81-4260-A109-496770118AF3.jpeg

The City has begun installing the flexi-posts. I already saw one car blocking the bike lane waiting to turn right on a red.

Woodycrest and Danforth:
View attachment 273511

Not what I'm supposed to notice..................

But what I see is the U.S. chain Papa Johns.............which have so many negatives associated with them.........

This is the problem with bike lanes that go straight through the intersection instead of jogging out a bit. If we allow right on red, you're going to get cars that stop at the stop line and creep forward to see. If the bike lane hugged the crosswalk (need about 5m ideally from bike lane to through lane on the curb extension), the car could look for pedestrians and cyclists, then advance past both before looking for oncoming traffic to complete the turn. It's kind of hard to blame a driver for blocking the bike lane here.

That is an option, certainly. But a tough sell. It would be nice if we could design intersections properly. If you do it well, cyclists don't need to stop at nearly as many lights (of course, most run the reds).

That is an option, certainly. But a tough sell. It would be nice if we could design intersections properly. If you do it well, cyclists don't need to stop at nearly as many lights (of course, most run the reds).

Most motorists also run the reds on right turns, as well as the useless stop signs.

That is an option, certainly. But a tough sell.

No-right-turns-on-red are already in place at many intersections in Toronto, though, typically where two pieces of cycling infrastructure meet. This is to me an easy and obvious fix that drivers just have to get used to.

No-right-turns-on-red are already in place at many intersections in Toronto, though, typically where two pieces of cycling infrastructure meet. This is to me an easy and obvious fix that drivers just have to get used to.

New York City and Montréal are the only North American cities with "NO RIGHT TURNS ON RED" within their jurisdiction.

New York City and Montréal are the only North American cities with "NO RIGHT TURNS ON RED" within their jurisdiction.

On a blanket basis perhaps, but we do in fact have NROR in Toronto presently. I stopped at one literally yesterday!

NROR doesn't help with left turners focusing on oncoming traffic then gunning it before considering to look if there are pedestrians or cyclists. If there was a buffer between the travel lane and crosswalk there would be room for them to yield and not block traffic. You see so many close calls with left turning vehicles. I had one myself last night while walking.

Motions related to Bike lanes on Yonge were deferred to the next Council meeting by a vote of 13-9.

There were lots of questions, and in addition to the base motion (Bike lanes to St. Clair) there were amendments to take it south to Bloor and then another for South to Gerrard.

Nothing will happen before Spring, IF one of these passes at the next meeting.

Motions related to Bike lanes on Yonge were deferred to the next Council meeting by a vote of 13-9.

There were lots of questions, and in addition to the base motion (Bike lanes to St. Clair) there were amendments to take it south to Bloor and then another for South to Gerrard.

Nothing will happen before Spring, IF one of these passes at the next meeting.
Classic Council. Defer everything in the hope that nothing ever happens, meanwhile cyclists will continue to get hurt due to their inaction (which they will claim has nothing to do with them).

Jeez the westbound corner of Dundas and River is becoming deadly. Just today I was in my car, in the correct car lane, waiting to turn right and a car thought I was waiting to turn left so raced into the unprotected bike lane and almost crashed into me as I was turning right.

This corner just needs more curb extended River St. to protect cyclists and to make it clear where the right turn lane is for cars. Whom I should ask to get this fixed pronto? Someone will die here otherwise.

Back