News   Apr 26, 2024
 796     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 253     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 743     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

I honestly don't care what color the bike lanes are painted, as long as there is some form of color indicating that "THIS IS A SPACE FOR CYCLISTS!"
Paint is useless, if the roads are designed for the "safety" of automobiles speeding at highway speeds.

Where has paint kept any cyclists alive?

Especially when covered with snow. Don't forget that the automobile are not snowmobiles. Automobiles need their paths plowed or salted, just like the bicycle. The painted lines get covered with snow making them useless until the snow melts away.

Where has paint kept any cyclists alive?

That is an unanswerable question but as a regular cyclist I DO feel somewhat more confident when on a clearly marked track where it is clear that I DO have some right to be there. Of course, one is safer on a totally separated one but do not let the perfect become the enemy of the good.

Knox Avenue cycling facilities are set to be installed/upgraded, linking Eastern Avenue to Lakeshore.

Today is actually the last day to give input; so if you're interested look over the materials, and submit comments by days end today!

From the above:

1646057345069.png

1646057380271.png

Installation Summer/Fall 2022

I wouldn't want to see so much of a street covered in green paint. I think it looks kinda cheap and distracts from the cityscape. I would be fine with the red asphalt that is used in the Netherlands for their bike lanes... and that would also mean a smoother and more comfortable ride, due to its superior quality to regular asphalt.
Yeah, the North American bright green looks really terrible. It also doesn't contrast enough if beside grass or vegetation. The Dutch red looks a lot better, and it contrasts well with both vegetation and the roadway. Coloured asphalt is also just way more durable than paint.

I'm not sure how practical it is to change the North American road design guidelines though, maybe green asphalt is the solution here.

EAST DON TRAIL PHASE 1 UPDATE​

February 22, 2022

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) has just submitted the 90% detailed design for the proposed tunnel and pedestrian bridge through the Metrolinx rail corridor to AECOM (Metrolinx third party reviewer) for review. In addition, TRCA is preparing to issue pre-qualification for contractors, for bidding on the upcoming tender.

The tender is tentatively scheduled to be issued in April 2022, with construction of the pedestrian bridge to commence in June/July, and tunnel construction in fall of this year, pending receipt of all permits and approvals.

Especially when covered with snow. Don't forget that the automobile are not snowmobiles. Automobiles need their paths plowed or salted, just like the bicycle. The painted lines get covered with snow making them useless until the snow melts away.
For god's sake! We are talking about Toronto when painted lines on roads are (maybe) covered with snow and invisible for 4 or 5 days a year. Are you suggesting that because they are sometimes invisible we should just give up on painting lines or colouring bike or streetcar tracks?

For god's sake! We are talking about Toronto when painted lines on roads are (maybe) covered with snow and invisible for 4 or 5 days a year. Are you suggesting that because they are sometimes invisible we should just give up on painting lines or colouring bike or streetcar tracks?
In my part of town, the painted cycling lanes are still covered with snow windrows.

Knox Avenue cycling facilities are set to be installed/upgraded, linking Eastern Avenue to Lakeshore.

Today is actually the last day to give input; so if you're interested look over the materials, and submit comments by days end today!

From the above:

View attachment 382372

View attachment 382373

Installation Summer/Fall 2022
The cycling lanes (and pedestrian sidewalk) in front of driveways should be raised, forcing the motorists to slow down, with yield signs and "sharks teeth". Signs and paint could be ignored, but the raised cycling lanes and sidewalk will give them a jolt, telling them to slow down next time.

toolkit_1_orig.png
From link.

Last edited:
The cycling lanes (and pedestrian sidewalk) in front of driveways should be raised, forcing the motorists to slow down, with yield signs and "sharks teeth".

toolkit_1_orig.png
From link.

Mr. Lis.......

Don't forget to actually send your comments on design to the people who do the designing!

Fill out the consultation surveys/send emails during the prescribed periods!

Back