News   Jul 23, 2024
 517     2 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 437     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 476     0 

Crosstown LRT - Aga Khan Park & Museum (Ferrand) Stop (Metrolinx, ?s, IBI Group)

i don't even mind pioneer village because i know they're trying to avoid having stations with east or west at the end, but what was wrong with ferrand?? there was no station named this and there probably never will be
what was wrong with leaving this stop out entirely. I won;;t get started on all that land I see from the photo yet they had to put the tracks in the middle of the road. I also had no idea there even was a Aga Khan museum and when I heard the name thought it was a joke

I know the mods want individual threads for the stations along the Crosstown, but I'm unsure if that's true for the above ground LRT stops. In any case, here are some updated renderings from the Crosstown website:

Aerial:
View attachment 100700

Platform:
View attachment 100701

Sidewalk:
View attachment 100702

View attachment 100703

Is the catenary really going to be those repeating squares? What's the purpose of the struts? wouldn't you want the two wires to be electrically isolated?

Looks nice, though I have to wonder how Vaughan got away with those fancy stops for a bus line, while this is pretty barebones by comparison. Also I'm curious why they went for two platforms on either side rather than one center platform, though thats not really a big deal.

When the TTC did the EA years and years ago, they decided that they didn't need multi-million dollar behemoths located in the middle of the street at each stop.

Is the catenary really going to be those repeating squares? What's the purpose of the struts? wouldn't you want the two wires to be electrically isolated?

No, it's not. It's likely a quickly-drawn object to help show the sense of scale of the overhead in relation to everything else.

Overhead is made of the actual contact wire at the bottom, and a strung "carrier wire" above that is used to carry the contact wire over the long spans between catenary masts. The carrier wire is held higher than the contact wire at the masts, and droops over the span distance between masts, but the suspender wires between the two take into account the droop to keep the contact wire at a constant height.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I agree that 'Park' in the stop name is pretty forced. Nobody goes there for the park, it's not exactly a destination or embedded in the city as a public space.

What a stupid name. This stop should be named Ferrand. And if they must name it after Aga Khan, why couldn't they call it "Aga Khan", rather than "Aga Khan Park and Musem". This is the Steeles West Pioneer Village fiasco all over again.

K, I got my part in. Who wants to take the next jab?

Some support for the opposing view:
I think the name is excellent. Currently we have stops named St. Andrew and St. Patrick that are named after places of worship. St.George and St. Clair are nods to the Christian heritage of our City . The inhabitants of our City are changing and it's entirely appropriate for our public services to reflect the change. There isn't a better suited location for such a name than this museum.

The Aga Khan Museum is the result of a $200M private donation (apologies, I couldn't find a source). The outcome is a beautiful park and architecture that has received multiple awards. It is an excellent cultural addition to our City that deserves recognition. A name on our transit map is a simple and effective means to offer recognition. And it is working, look at all the chatter it is generating here:).

Currently we have stops named St. Andrew and St. Patrick that are named after places of worship. St.George and St. Clair are nods to the Christian heritage of our City .

St. Andrew and St. Patrick are named for the wards that the stations are located in. St. George and St. Clair are named after the major streets that stations are located on.

You can argue about the history of those particular districts or streets, but the names of the stations were named because of those districts and streets. That's what people recognize.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

St. Andrew and St. Patrick are named for the wards that the stations are located in. St. George and St. Clair are named after the major streets that stations are located on.

You can argue about the history of those particular districts or streets, but the names of the stations were named because of those districts and streets. That's what people recognize.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Name the stop after the ward: either DON VALLEY WEST stop or the WARD 26 stop?

;)

Back