News   Mar 28, 2024
 350     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 274     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 303     0 

COVID-19 Measures (updated list at top of thread)

Suggestion from former TTC Chair Adam Giambrone:

I think it may be time to shut the subway as volumes are not very high and we want to support Social Distancing. Shuttle buses can support a core transit network to guarantee transport for essential workers. There is little traffic to slow them down.

Then a frank assessment of capital and SOGR projects that could be advanced and expedited during the shutdown should be done. Moving faster in some areas may not be possible, but in others areas, it will be. In consultation with Public Health precautions should be possible to protect workers.

We have bigger short term issues to deal with (in flattening the curve!!) but there may be an opportunity for some benefit.

BIG QUESTION!! Where Is TTC to Find All The Buses And Drivers To Replace The Subway System?????????????

It takes 45 minutes to go from Kipling to Kennedy. How long do you think it will take a bus to do it??? You have limit space on a bus than a subway or streetcar. How do you maintain X factor load for the full route by a bus??? You going to have someone on a vehicle counting heads to say X riders can get on at X stop to maintain the X Load Factor???

Quality of service for ALL TTC routes as well other systems are going to see a big drop this year as ridership will fall, especially when it cheaper to drive today than it was in 2000 at the gas pump.

Subway trains that see 3 minute service could see 5+ minutes in its place to deal with space and low ridership. Now since there are less trains on line, what do you do with the employees no longer needed to operate trains/bus/streetcar???

Since money going to deal with this virus on both the short and long time frame, there going to be a lot less money for transit to the point projects could be defer for years or a decade or 2.

We are heading into an unknown future on all fronts and going to hit use at all levels unseen since the 30's, let alone the 90's or 2008.

Last edited:

Doesn't sound like good ideas.

Spacious subway trains help maintain the social distance. I heard every persons tries to sit on a separate bench these days. A "light" subway load would be still pretty substantial for the replacement buses. They will handle it, but without the same benefit of helping the social distancing.

Regarding the capital and SOGR projects: first of all, what makes him think that workers doing those tasks will be deemed "essential"? Drivers, traffic controllers, a certain number of mechanics and emergency repair technicians are essential. Repainting a wall is not essential right now.

Event if TTC secures an excemption from any restrictions for all its workers, many capital projects will get stalled because parts aren't available. Say, their specs call for a certain type of electric wire to be installed, but the supplies stop because the factory is located in a US state or county that went into a total lockdown. They can try to contact another supplier and update their specs. But a few weeks delay cause by every missing part, times a few parts that need to be replaced, will likely defeat the whole idea. By the time they can proceed, the subway will need to reopen.

To be fair, most of the face mask types commonly used these days are not very effective against the virus.

Metrolinx statements are confusing, but maybe (I hope so) they contacted some medical experts and asked if distributing those masks actually adds protection.

If the experts said the available masks are almost ineffective, then perhaps Metrolinx shouldn't create a false sense of security by distributing those masks. They should have communicated their findings more clearly though, so that the drivers and the public don't need to second-guess.

March 23, 2020

TTC changes amid COVID-19 crisis

Effective today, and being implemented over the next 24 hours, the TTC is kindly asking its bus customers to board and exit from the rear doors only, unless the accessible ramp needs to be deployed, as fare boxes will not be accessible. This change, made in consultation with ATU Local 113, allows for greater social distancing while minimizing potential contact with operators. TTC operators have also been instructed to keep their protective barriers closed at all times.

Last week, operators stopped handing out paper transfers to bus customers paying by cash, tickets or tokens. The TTC will no longer be accepting payment by cash, tickets or tokens on TTC buses (excluding Wheel-Trans) starting on March 24. Customers are asked to pay using PRESTO where available.

"This move is being made to prioritize the health and safety of our employees and customers," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "We continue to focus on physical distancing, social equity and ensuring we match capacity to demand."

The TTC continues to take direction and follow the sound advice from Toronto Public Health regarding what precautions and controls should be implemented to protect the well-being of our customers and employees.

With more than 90 per cent of riders now using PRESTO, customers are still required to tap their PRESTO card and PRESTO ticket when boarding a vehicle or entering a station.

The TTC is closely monitoring ridership and service trends daily across all modes, and reviewing staffing and resources in order to effectively match service delivery with availability.

Over the past week, daily PRESTO taps indicated ridership declined by more than 70 per cent as compared to a typical early March weekday. While the TTC continues to move a substantial number of people across the system each day, customer travel patterns are changing and ridership is declining.

As a result, the following service changes are affected:
- All 900-series Express routes are reallocated as needed, except for 900 Airport Express, 903 Kennedy-Scarborough Centre Express and 927 Highway 27 Express.
- All 140-series Downtown Express routes are reallocated as where needed.
- 176 Mimico GO and 508 Lake Shore service is reallocated as needed.

Regular bus services will continue to run along Express routes that are suspended, with the majority of service operating every 10 minutes or better. All neighbourhoods continue to be served and additional buses will be operated where and when required.

The service changes will be reflected on public facing applications (e.g. NextBus, Triplinx, etc.) in the week ahead. Please expect some prediction irregularity to occur while updates are being implemented.

The deadline for PRESTO card customers to cancel their Autorenew or 12 Month Pass for April, has been extended until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, March 27. Customers wishing to cancel their Autorenew or 12 Month Pass, should visit prestocard.ca and log into their My PRESTO Account. Anyone who wants to re-sign up for Autorenew or a 12 Month Pass can do so during the pass sales window, which is available from the last 12 days of the month until eight days after the next month.

For the complete list of 900 Express and 140 Downtown Express routes please visit ttc.ca.

For more information on TTC Routes, Schedules and Fares, please call 416-393-INFO (4636) or TTY Line at 416-481-2523.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternative routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for eAlerts or visit https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ttc.ca&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ccb7da19df5be4a89c65a08d7cf775b42%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637205983839299034&sdata=UnDOIQedpvp3y9r4ZrRzaOAahEK416lRGlWUinfvv0Y%3D&reserved=0

Effective today, and being implemented over the next 24 hours, the TTC is kindly asking its bus customers to board and exit from the rear doors only, unless the accessible ramp needs to be deployed, as fare boxes will not be accessible. This change, made in consultation with ATU Local 113, allows for greater social distancing while minimizing potential contact with operators. TTC operators have also been instructed to keep their protective barriers closed at all times.

Last week, operators stopped handing out paper transfers to bus customers paying by cash, tickets or tokens. The TTC will no longer be accepting payment by cash, tickets or tokens on TTC buses (excluding Wheel-Trans) starting on March 24. Customers are asked to pay using PRESTO where available.
Ugh. That puts the cash-strapped at a disadvantage.

Hamilton just stopped collecting fares altogether -- HSR buses are free of charge for the next while.

The driver area has been cordoned off, and people board through the rear.

Ugh. That puts the cash-strapped at a disadvantage.

Hamilton just stopped collecting fares altogether -- HSR buses are free of charge for the next while.

The driver area has been cordoned off, and people board through the rear.
The cash and tickets only apply to TTC buses and still require to be paid on streetcars and subways. Still can use your debit or credit card at subways.

All of Mississauga buses are free and chain off at the accessibly backing with a sign use the rear and transit is free. Since there is no Presto reader at the rear door, Presto riders ride free as well. Nothing like this on TTC buses I have been on that were Orion buses so far.
49698170691_c1995e3869_b.jpg

TTC union calls for mandatory face coverings for all transit riders

LAST UPDATED MAY 8, 2020 AT 4:56 PM EDT

The union which represents TTC employees says it wants mandatory face coverings for all users of the system starting next week.

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 boss Carlos Santos says with service cutbacks scheduled to take effect Sunday night and more businesses reopening, they are concerned about overcrowding on several TTC routes which could increase the spread of COVID-19.

“The math is straightforward – as more businesses re-open, more people will be taking public transit with less TTC vehicles on the road,” said Santos. “The City of Toronto must protect workers and the public by making face coverings mandatory on the TTC.”

BIG QUESTION!! Where Is TTC to Find All The Buses And Drivers To Replace The Subway System?????????????

It takes 45 minutes to go from Kipling to Kennedy. How long do you think it will take a bus to do it??? You have limit space on a bus than a subway or streetcar. How do you maintain X factor load for the full route by a bus??? You going to have someone on a vehicle counting heads to say X riders can get on at X stop to maintain the X Load Factor???

Quality of service for ALL TTC routes as well other systems are going to see a big drop this year as ridership will fall, especially when it cheaper to drive today than it was in 2000 at the gas pump.

Subway trains that see 3 minute service could see 5+ minutes in its place to deal with space and low ridership. Now since there are less trains on line, what do you do with the employees no longer needed to operate trains/bus/streetcar???

Since money going to deal with this virus on both the short and long time frame, there going to be a lot less money for transit to the point projects could be defer for years or a decade or 2.

We are heading into an unknown future on all fronts and going to hit use at all levels unseen since the 30's, let alone the 90's or 2008.
Who’s taking transit until this pandemic is over? If I can’t drive, cycle or walk somewhere, I’m not going.

Who’s taking transit until this pandemic is over? If I can’t drive, cycle or walk somewhere, I’m not going.
Since I use transit 100%, I have no choice to use it. I just use 6 buses to pickup 2 10T HD, as and 6 T HD is about to fail and another showing some issues. One bus had 3 on it will the others had 7-14. The closest place to buy food is 30 minute walk away, but where I mainly shop is close to 60 minute walk. I can get to these places in 10-20 minute bus ride away.

I try to maintain safe distance to the point I go out of my way from people.

Went by a number places where there were long lines of cars trying to buy X, as well people for Canadian Tire, Lowe's, Costco. Some places were looking close to a hour wait and not my cup of tea. Only took me 10 minutes to get the HD's from Best Buy with safe distance being enforce.

There is a lot of people who don't own or drive that provide service to people who drive using transit.

Back