News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Corso Italia

Personally I love it because Regal Heights which has much much more in common with Hillcrest/Wychwood finally moves over. Having the cut-off line a block in from a major intersection (Alberta vs Oakwood) never made sense as it was but this is much more demographically homogeneous. Now I don't even have to bother about not voting for Palacio! Will be a positive for our already skyrocketing house prices as well.

I would argue that Caledonia & Rogers is more like Dovercourt & Bloor than it is to Regal Road and Lauder.

An increasing number of older businesses along Corso Italia are closing up shop. I'm just about 5 minutes south of the area, right along Davenport. From recent visits the places now vacant include; Gino's Meat Market, Consiglio's, a couple units on the northside west of Dufferin, the several properties combining for the new Shopper's, Metro Toronto Bar & Grill (sandwiches), Bella Boutique, La Boutiques, etc. Shoe Club has also moved locations, leaving behind their rather substantial former unit now empty.

Last edited:
La Paloma and Tre Mari Bakery will likely remain. However, the shops which are experiencing a state of outward transition the most are the mom 'n pops and independent clothing/shoe retailers.

Pizzaiolo at 1160 St. Clair Ave W, just east of Dufferin is almost ready to open. Took a while (like King's Tacos), but they've had considerable amount of work done last few weeks and should be finished soon.

I always thought this neighbourhood was promising, had lots of potential but never really delivered the way it could. I'm trying to figure out why but it just doesn't have that appeal of Little Italy or the Annex.

I lived in this area for over a year not too long ago. I think the area to the immediately north of St Clair has definitely been gentrifying, although at a much slower pace than the area south of Dupont. I don't know if the Eglinton LRT can create a push from up north but I agree with what's been said, it's quite a hassle to get to downtown, much like the Junction. And unlike the Junction, St Clair/Dufferin lacks the initial quirky/hip vibe.

In many ways, Corso Italia has already gentrified by quite a bit in the last decade or so. Chain retail/eateries are becoming increasingly prevalent. 7-Eleven, Church's Chicken, McDonald's, Tim Hortons have been joined by Starbucks, Pizzaiolo, and Popeye's. Shoppers Drug Mart is also planning to open and replace around 4 previous buildings/retail units.

Admittedly, the area is not "trendy". But I also don't necessary see the issue or the need for it to be either. The area serves the requirements of nearby residents. Which traditionally have been working class European, and along more recent Latin American immigrant groups. The Italian demographics have been gradually declining for 20-30 years now. Although, the retail landscape remained steadily in tact up until the last 5 years or so. Many of the old-timers are finally retiring their businesses. It's also a societal trend to be shopping for clothing/apparel/shoes at larger centres like the Stockyards, Yorkdale, and Dufferin Mall, etc. Majority of local residents in the side streets nowadays are Portuguese. There's a fair amount of businesses catering to that community but mostly in the restaurant/cafe/bar format. With that said, there are definitely several retail gaps which are continuing with ongoing transitions. Some notable newer stores which have opened include Tea + and Bees are Life Inc.

In terms of the housing stock discussion, it's fairly standard for the West End built form. Ranging from early to mid 1900's era, mixed with common sightings of redevelopment and rebuilds. And honestly just like most of the city, it's becoming increasingly unaffordable. Globe and Mail reported that the average housing price in the Earlscourt-Corso Italia area was $595,620 back in 2015. It's inevitably over $600,000 now, pushing $700,000 depending on specifics.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...es-in-toronto-neighbourhoods/article24060725/

Last edited:

Back