News   Apr 19, 2024
 27     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 448     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 782     3 

Corso Italia

1991 census there are still more Italians as Portuguese in Corso Italia but a shift is underway. The Dufferin-St. Clair-Caledonia area shifted from a more Italian to Portuguese area in the 80s and 90s. Today Ward 17 has more Portuguese than Ward 18 where Little Portugal is.

But I suspect the area probably hit "peak Portuguese" about a decade ago and has probably begun to taper off a bit.

Agreed. After 'Peak Portuguese' we did see South Americans for a few years there (especially during the ROW construction) but now things are changing again.

Agreed. After 'Peak Portuguese' we did see South Americans for a few years there (especially during the ROW construction) but now things are changing again.

Are you saying the South Americans just stayed a few years in the neighborhood and left? Or just that they're not immigrating as much these days?

Area still seems to have a working class character, but with dilution south of St. Clair. Probably the last area within 10 km of City Hall where that's still the case.

What I'm saying is that since prices have effectively doubled in the last 6 years, the buyer demographic has changed along with it. This is happening throughout the city (especially the core). There is only a few types of people that will pay effectively 800-1M for a semi or junky detach in some cases. Prices are rising faster as per Toronto Life here more than almost all other areas except for a select few. I have a few homes that have doubled in value since 2013. Even the rental stock is much better now. Latin Americans rent here still but few can afford homes here. Dumpy bungalows are selling for 600k now.

The reality is that it's a working class neighbourhood but the spill over effect of otter better neighbourhoods is effecting this area like others. The retail strip is still very much geared to a demographic that is in decline or almost extinct. There are problems.... But there is opportunity. All 5 options for the ward boundary change will bring positive change to the area as it will likely unseat Cesar.

If this neighbourhood were a stock, I would label it as a no dividend growth stock.

Are you saying the South Americans just stayed a few years in the neighborhood and left? Or just that they're not immigrating as much these days?

Area still seems to have a working class character, but with dilution south of St. Clair. Probably the last area within 10 km of City Hall where that's still the case.
so basically the only way for areas to get gentrified is if working class moves out, while white collar moves in, driving up prices! Sort of seems that way I suppose

A lot of the many tradespeople who live in Earlscourt/Corso Italia probably make as much money as the professionals moving in. The professional types with more money will opt for say, Little Italy or the Danforth which have long ceased to be working class at all.

Until recently it was probably the better off moving out - last time I checked Woodbridge was more expensive than Corso Italia. But the Italians - regardless of economic status - are mostly gone now (and a lot of the remaining ones are elderly and linguistically isolated). The Portuguese who really didn't move to the area until the 80s and 90s seem slower to move to the suburbs than most other ethnic groups.

Last edited:
Professionals would opt for Little Italy, Danforth, Roncy, etc but as prices continue to rise, many have to consider spill over neighbourhoods.

I truly believe the entire pre amalgamated city will be gentrifier with much of the same type of buyer/ resident. Since much of the old city was built prior to the automobile, it will continue to be gentrified including Corso.

You have made great points King of Kensington and I enjoy the back and forth.

Marcellos is a place I go a few times a month and mostly for takeout but it is very much an establishment. The food is not great but it's good and consistently good at a fair price. Unfortunately the owners live in Maple, and Etobicoke. The old man lived on Glenholme but I believe he has passed.

A lot of the many tradespeople who live in Earlscourt/Corso Italia probably make as much money as the professionals moving in. The professional types with more money will opt for say, Little Italy or the Danforth which have long ceased to be working class at all.

Until recently it was probably the better off moving out - last time I checked Woodbridge was more expensive than Corso Italia. .
But the houses are bigger in woodbridge and I do not think there are 25' or less frontages there either.

Marcellos is a place I go a few times a month and mostly for takeout but it is very much an establishment. The food is not great but it's good and consistently good at a fair price. Unfortunately the owners live in Maple, and Etobicoke. The old man lived on Glenholme but I believe he has passed.

I've never been to the St. Clair Marcello's. But I've been to the one in front of Vaughan Mills. The Vaughan Mills one is always packed. They don't even take reservations.

I consider Marcello's to be one of the best Italian restaurants in the City in terms of quality and selection for the cost.

I wonder if Corso could follow the "Arthur Avenue" model. Arthur Ave markets itself as the "Little Italy of the Bronx" and a more authentic one than in Manhattan, but it's not residentially Italian anymore (though it still attracts Italians to shop and dine in the area from nearby).

What I'm saying is that since prices have effectively doubled in the last 6 years, the buyer demographic has changed along with it. This is happening throughout the city (especially the core). There is only a few types of people that will pay effectively 800-1M for a semi or junky detach in some cases. Prices are rising faster as per Toronto Life here more than almost all other areas except for a select few. I have a few homes that have doubled in value since 2013. Even the rental stock is much better now. Latin Americans rent here still but few can afford homes here. Dumpy bungalows are selling for 600k now.

The reality is that it's a working class neighbourhood but the spill over effect of otter better neighbourhoods is effecting this area like others. The retail strip is still very much geared to a demographic that is in decline or almost extinct. There are problems.... But there is opportunity. All 5 options for the ward boundary change will bring positive change to the area as it will likely unseat Cesar.

If this neighbourhood were a stock, I would label it as a no dividend growth stock.

Your passion for your neighborhood and desire to get rid of Cesar is much appreciated.

He may be out of luck next time. In the last two elections he almost certainly benefited from the higher than usual turnout the Fords attracted. People who were voting for them also marked ballots for Palacio. If turnout returns to "normal" levels in the area he could lose.

Agreed - But what are your thoughts aside from Palacio in terms of the future of the Ward / Corso Italia (specifically) regarding the refined Option 1 recommendation. Also, Its interesting because Dovercourt & Bloor is so different than Caledonia & Rogers.....

Back