News   Apr 25, 2024
 243     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 383     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 580     0 

Corktown

Been away from the hood (and the wider 416) for a while - can anyone provide updates on the below?

Corktown Updates
1) What has happened with the building on the SE corner of King & Sumach (was being reno'd as a restraunt at last look, with a rooftop garden)?
2) Is the Cherry Streetcar from King south through the West Don Lands cancelled?
3) Are Weezie's and Gilead still worthwile? Is the new Redline coffeeshop at Queen/Parliament any good (that is, better than Savoury Grounds)?
4) Has the influx of people via Corktown District condos visibly changed the hood - more traffic, feet on the street? Are businesses benefitting from increased throughput? And do we have a handle on the retail space on King?
5) Have any of the dilapitated castle-shacks on Fee Place been improved?

Thanks Toronto crew!

Been away from the hood (and the wider 416) for a while - can anyone provide updates on the below?

Corktown Updates
1) What has happened with the building on the SE corner of King & Sumach (was being reno'd as a restraunt at last look, with a rooftop garden)?
2) Is the Cherry Streetcar from King south through the West Don Lands cancelled?
3) Are Weezie's and Gilead still worthwile? Is the new Redline coffeeshop at Queen/Parliament any good (that is, better than Savoury Grounds)?
4) Has the influx of people via Corktown District condos visibly changed the hood - more traffic, feet on the street? Are businesses benefitting from increased throughput? And do we have a handle on the retail space on King?
5) Have any of the dilapitated castle-shacks on Fee Place been improved?

Thanks Toronto crew!

1) Do you mean King & Sackville? King & Sumach SE corner is Corktown District Condos. The King & Sackville site has been bought by someone associated with Weezie's for use as some sort of market (with a rooftop garden) -- there's work going on inside at the site.

2) Not cancelled, but not a priority either -- a bit up in the air at this point.

3) Weezie's is great. I haven't been to Gilead personally but I hear great things. Red Line seems nice, but I'm not a coffee guy. I like the Savoury Grounds at Queen & Sumach just because it's closer to where I live.

4) I've noticed more foot traffic, especially around the King & Sumach intersection. Still lots of change to come, though, with the opening of the large building at 510 King E and the other WDL projects.

5) I've never actually walked down Fee Pl. I should check it out.

1) Do you mean King & Sackville? King & Sumach SE corner is Corktown District Condos. The King & Sackville site has been bought by someone associated with Weezie's for use as some sort of market (with a rooftop garden) -- there's work going on inside at the site.

2) Not cancelled, but not a priority either -- a bit up in the air at this point.

3) Weezie's is great. I haven't been to Gilead personally but I hear great things. Red Line seems nice, but I'm not a coffee guy. I like the Savoury Grounds at Queen & Sumach just because it's closer to where I live.

4) I've noticed more foot traffic, especially around the King & Sumach intersection. Still lots of change to come, though, with the opening of the large building at 510 King E and the other WDL projects.

5) I've never actually walked down Fee Pl. I should check it out.

Wow, the market/cafe at King & Sackville is taking forever! Here's hoping they get a license and a patio.

Always found the coffee at SG to be very weak - which is unfortunate, because otherwise I would have spent more time there!

I poke my head into the King / Sackville corner every few days, as it's on the way home for me. It appears as though most of the inside work has been done. It sort of has a rustic / reclaimed vibe. There are metal wire shelves and deli style refrigerated counters just sitting there. I also noticed a bunch of sprouts growing out of large planter containers. This made me think they're actually waiting until they have their own herbs and produce to sell before opening shop? If that's the case, I'll put my money on a mid-May opening.

Better yet, what's going on with the diner on King, across from the Corktown District buildings. How could an unused piece of retail space just sit there for so long? It literally looks as though no one has entered that place since the doors were closed. There's no signs for lease or anything. That's a mind fuck.

Better yet, what's going on with the diner on King, across from the Corktown District buildings. How could an unused piece of retail space just sit there for so long? It literally looks as though no one has entered that place since the doors were closed. There's no signs for lease or anything. That's a mind fuck.

You're talking about the Kingsbrae? I think they use it for film shoots, and little else. I also hope it turns into a "real" place soon.

At least Corktown doesn't have anything like Raggamuffins in the Beach, closed and abandoned since 1994: http://toronto.openfile.ca/toronto/file/2011/03/beachs-little-shop-horrors

Ate at Gilead last night, second time this year. Amazing food and a nice list of Niagara wines but the part that l like the most - surprisingly inexpensive considering the quality. Highly recommended.

Ate at Gilead last night, second time this year. Amazing food and a nice list of Niagara wines but the part that l like the most - surprisingly inexpensive considering the quality. Highly recommended.

Yes, thumbs up for Gilead. I haven't been there for dinner but I've been there for lunch several times. It's reasonably priced considering the quality and variety of the food. I think that a lot of their ingredients are locally sourced - so you often see quirky, seasonal items on the menu. The other great thing (and maybe a benefit of Toronto's east end in general) is that despite being such a great place you can always find a table. If it was out in the west end I bet there would be queues.

Corktown Updates

Thanks Toronto crew!

There're a lot more cars, parking at least. It used to be rare to see anyone else parking after-hours at the Lung Society building on the corner of St. Lawrence and King, but now it's full nearly every night. Lots more illegal garbage dumping too...can't quite figure that one out.

The ugly white building on the south side of King between Trinity and Gilead has been demolished - 'they' are planning on building a furniture showroom there but do not yet, I think, have a permit.

There is also work going on inside the old BGM Imaging Building at 497 King East (just west of the tiny "Blue Building") - not sure if they are preparing for demolition or actually fixing it up - there dores not appear to be a Building Permit.

The BGM building interior demolition happened early this winter, and nothing has happened since. I heard someone has purchased it and will renovate the interior, but I don't have any details.

What's going up at the southwest corner of King/Parliament/Berkeley? I see notices up but the carwash was just renovated or something (under new management).

Back